HOH/Deaf and Social Anxiety

ceelynncee

Reaction score
How do you deal? I'm HOH,have been for many years. My hearing has declined and my lip reading is just not cutting it anymore. How do you function in a group social environment? I've got a barbecue coming up tomorrow and would like some tips. I'm tired of declining invites for fear of not being able to hear. I want to go,have fun,talk to people. I'm really a people person and would so love to shake this "anxiety" thing.

sit in the kitchen.. and tell everyone to take a number when they want to talk to me :) I can only handle one person at a time.

sit in the kitchen.. and tell everyone to take a number when they want to talk to me :) I can only handle one person at a time.

Kinda like a queen bee,huh? That could be a solution,lord knows the "nod and smile" ain't working too well anymore. :laugh2:

I relieve social anxiety by talking on forum and the internet when I'm not around with the local friends. Otherwise immersed in researching or a class also works.

Seems to get my fix as I don't really know anyone in the same boat as me in my area.

No matter what, most of the time with hearing it just might not work. It takes courage, patience and the right person for them to accept you.

I relieve social anxiety by talking on forum and the internet when I'm not around with the local friends. Otherwise immersed in researching or a class also works.

Seems to get my fix as I don't really know anyone in the same boat as me in my area.

No matter what, most of the time with hearing it just might not work. It takes courage, patience and the right person for them to accept you.

People I have known for quite awhile. I have been the one carrying the full load of trying to communicate and it's just gotten too heavy. I get SOOO tired. I do have courage...not much patience left though. I want my family and friends to get their act together and work WITH me. Is that too much to ask?

People I have known for quite awhile. I have been the one carrying the full load of trying to communicate and it's just gotten too heavy. I get SOOO tired. I do have courage...not much patience left though. I want my family and friends to get their act together and work WITH me. Is that too much to ask?

It's not too much to ask, but as you will find here on the forum, we are all having to deal with things like that.

When I have to deal with a large group of family and friends and no one is willing to try to make me feel more comfortable, I make sure to take my netbook computer and some knitting or something. The netbook is so I can have a conversation, the knitting is: A) to keep me occupied and B) someone always starts asking me and I use it as a conversation starter. I explain that I need them to look at me and to talk normally. That usually helps them to understand a little.

Society is steered towards the mainstreamed. :(
Seems like most people love to do go with the flow discussions. The latest fad, the latest clothing, the latest movies, the latest celeb gossip. All things against what the average deaf person cares about.

Stuff we can't really participate in from a hearing sense unless you sit there reading the net all day to catch up which is fairly pointless.

I did find that when I learned ASL, I had some good times with some friends I met a little far away from here in real life. I also did some webcam sessions with some other folks, that was fun also.

It's not too much to ask, but as you will find here on the forum, we are all having to deal with things like that.

When I have to deal with a large group of family and friends and no one is willing to try to make me feel more comfortable, I make sure to take my netbook computer and some knitting or something. The netbook is so I can have a conversation, the knitting is: A) to keep me occupied and B) someone always starts asking me and I use it as a conversation starter. I explain that I need them to look at me and to talk normally. That usually helps them to understand a little.
My usual method is to seek out the kids and engage them in a game of some sort. Kids are easier to communicate with and more open to understanding. Plus,I really like kids.

ceelynncee :wave: - One trick is to dominate the conversation. You talk first (assuming you use speech) and keep hold of the conversation. Even if it is one-sided. You can read their facial expressions and body language too, if you haven't tried that already. If you cant follow their responses then, change the subject. Or you can go the other extreme and dont say anything but act as if you can hear them which I think is what you said you have been doing 'nod and smile'. If all that fails, tell everyone you sign from here on in.

p.s. BTW, there is nothing wrong with returning to the safety net of your own little 'island'. Be grateful you have that. Here is a story I wrote on my blog as an example:

" The Broom Closet

Isn’t it a wonder, despite the known fact that human beings are primarily social creatures who would go insane if kept in solitary confinement for too long, still go to great lengths to find a solitary place to ‘get away from the world’?

Life, for the most part, is chaotic at best, regardless of the countless times we attempt to keep our world in check. Amidst the tumult of dis-array from this fallen, degenerate world we live in, we have ingrained in us by our Creator, an unquenchable desire to maintain orderliness.

Nevertheless, many of us are in denial stating that we like the mess we live under; others give up and ‘turn a blind eye’ or ‘shut the door on it’. Others say they find order ‘boring’ and that mess ‘gives them something to do’, or even defines who they are!

We can define clutter in two basic ways:

1. JUNK
2. CHARACTER

We can define mess as:

1. JUST PLAIN MESS!!

so if mess defines you, then there is something seriously wrong because....

However, whatever category we may place it, getting back to point in hand, it is still categorizing. In other words, we can’t help ourselves but to compartmentalize, categorize and conceptualize.

Therefore, we all have an insatiable need to find that ‘private space’ away from all the mayhem. Take our bedrooms for example. Many claim that as their safe haven. Signs of Skull and Crossbone ‘Keep Out’ blaring on some teenage room doors, or more demurely “……’s Room”, or perhaps, God forbid in my opinion, parent’s retreats at the other end of the house.

Let’s consider also the bathroom…..it is supposed to be a private place. Some have posters or timetables up on back of the toilet door; others, a stack of magazines or comic books or even a novel. (Just how much time can one spend on the toilet!) But then mothers, on the other hand are considered a different breed when it comes to bathrooms, a foreign species that cannot be thought of as human because the moment you walk in the door and lock it behind you, there is a little voice bellowing past the wooden barrier – “Mummy” “Mum” “Mummy”!!! More often than not, the conversation has no relation whatsoever to the use of the bathroom. It is like some sort of conspiracy where kids wait until you get yourself a moment’s respite then they rob you of it. Argggh.

In highly populated societies, personal space is virtually non-existent though the need deep down is still there. This is where innovation at its best comes in, in surprisingly simple means, such as a hand-towel or blanket thrown over the head shutting out the world around you even with it merely an inch from you in reality. The younger generation opts for an IPOD, video game or GameBoy. Others a good book, a good DVD, computers, Facebook; or even their mobile phones! Others snuggle up in bed, and yet for some it is writing a blog. In movies, of all places, it is the broom closet!

Whatever it takes to transport us to a world beyond reality, a world of our own, where we can tune out from the stresses of life, somewhere we can't be found by anyone - like a toddler who hides his face with his hands and thinks no one else can see him – our very own, bona fide, custom-made, just for us Broom Closet" - BECLAK 2010.

p.s. BTW, there is nothing wrong with returning to the safety net of your own little 'island'. Be grateful you have that. Here is a story I wrote on my blog as an example:

" The Broom Closet

Isn’t it a wonder, despite the known fact that human beings are primarily social creatures who would go insane if kept in solitary confinement for too long, still go to great lengths to find a solitary place to ‘get away from the world’?

Life, for the most part, is chaotic at best, regardless of the countless times we attempt to keep our world in check. Amidst the tumult of dis-array from this fallen, degenerate world we live in, we have ingrained in us by our Creator, an unquenchable desire to maintain orderliness.

Nevertheless, many of us are in denial stating that we like the mess we live under; others give up and ‘turn a blind eye’ or ‘shut the door on it’. Others say they find order ‘boring’ and that mess ‘gives them something to do’, or even defines who they are!

We can define clutter in two basic ways:

1. JUNK
2. CHARACTER

We can define mess as:

1. JUST PLAIN MESS!!

so if mess defines you, then there is something seriously wrong because....

However, whatever category we may place it, getting back to point in hand, it is still categorizing. In other words, we can’t help ourselves but to compartmentalize, categorize and conceptualize.

Therefore, we all have an insatiable need to find that ‘private space’ away from all the mayhem. Take our bedrooms for example. Many claim that as their safe haven. Signs of Skull and Crossbone ‘Keep Out’ blaring on some teenage room doors, or more demurely “……’s Room”, or perhaps, God forbid in my opinion, parent’s retreats at the other end of the house.

Let’s consider also the bathroom…..it is supposed to be a private place. Some have posters or timetables up on back of the toilet door; others, a stack of magazines or comic books or even a novel. (Just how much time can one spend on the toilet!) But then mothers, on the other hand are considered a different breed when it comes to bathrooms, a foreign species that cannot be thought of as human because the moment you walk in the door and lock it behind you, there is a little voice bellowing past the wooden barrier – “Mummy” “Mum” “Mummy”!!! More often than not, the conversation has no relation whatsoever to the use of the bathroom. It is like some sort of conspiracy where kids wait until you get yourself a moment’s respite then they rob you of it. Argggh.

In highly populated societies, personal space is virtually non-existent though the need deep down is still there. This is where innovation at its best comes in, in surprisingly simple means, such as a hand-towel or blanket thrown over the head shutting out the world around you even with it merely an inch from you in reality. The younger generation opts for an IPOD, video game or GameBoy. Others a good book, a good DVD, computers, Facebook; or even their mobile phones! Others snuggle up in bed, and yet for some it is writing a blog. In movies, of all places, it is the broom closet!

Whatever it takes to transport us to a world beyond reality, a world of our own, where we can tune out from the stresses of life, somewhere we can't be found by anyone - like a toddler who hides his face with his hands and thinks no one else can see him – our very own, bona fide, custom-made, just for us Broom Closet" - BECLAK 2010.

How the hell did you know about my broom closet? That's where I go to get away from all the "noise" (although I don't "hear" it) around me. Does that make me a selfish bitch? Do fully hearing people have this? (Where's the "hair pulling" emoticon?)

I always take my little doggie Anita with me, (she's a Pomeranian), and always steals the show...she's my comfort also, sitting in my lap. I don't stay at BBQ's or parties very long, since I don't drink...an hour or so is my limit...I lip-read also, but not as fluent as before, my eyes tire very easily.

How the hell did you know about my broom closet? That's where I go to get away from all the "noise" (although I don't "hear" it) around me. Does that make me a selfish bitch? Do fully hearing people have this? (Where's the "hair pulling" emoticon?)

No, it doesn't make you selfish. It is purely a coping mechanism. I am severely deaf myself, born that way. But every human being has their 'escape', so you are not selfish. Perfectly normal in fact. I find it such a relief. AllDeaf helps a lot too because you have heaps of people here who understand you: your frustrations, your efforts, your hopes, your dreams, and disappointments. You have a strong support system here. :)

How do you deal? I'm HOH,have been for many years. My hearing has declined and my lip reading is just not cutting it anymore. How do you function in a group social environment? I've got a barbecue coming up tomorrow and would like some tips. I'm tired of declining invites for fear of not being able to hear. I want to go,have fun,talk to people. I'm really a people person and would so love to shake this "anxiety" thing.

I'm going through the same thing you are. I have always been HOH but my hearing has declined so far that I barely get any help from hearing aids anymore. I do the same thing as you, declining invites, but only because I get too bored when the group starts talking too fast for me.

My advise to you would be to sit down with the people closest to you and flat out say " I can't do this anymore". The people who really care will do anything to make sure you feel ok when you are with them. And you will know who your true friends and family are.

The other part I can tell you is that you may have to change your life around. Once I finally sat my friends down I realized that I only have 1 real friend. That has been the hardest part for me. My way of coping with this is trying out new hobbies that don't require much talking. I also lost my job do to my hearing so I am going to return to school (hopefully NTID). I am also going to learn ASL and once I do I plan to stop wearing my hearing aid (except when listening to my ipod). Ya I am done with "hearing" people who treat me like I am stupid cause I have trouble understanding what is said.

I'm going through the same thing you are. I have always been HOH but my hearing has declined so far that I barely get any help from hearing aids anymore. I do the same thing as you, declining invites, but only because I get too bored when the group starts talking too fast for me.

My advise to you would be to sit down with the people closest to you and flat out say " I can't do this anymore". The people who really care will do anything to make sure you feel ok when you are with them. And you will know who your true friends and family are.

The other part I can tell you is that you may have to change your life around. Once I finally sat my friends down I realized that I only have 1 real friend. That has been the hardest part for me. My way of coping with this is trying out new hobbies that don't require much talking. I also lost my job do to my hearing so I am going to return to school (hopefully NTID). I am also going to learn ASL and once I do I plan to stop wearing my hearing aid (except when listening to my ipod). Ya I am done with "hearing" people who treat me like I am stupid cause I have trouble understanding what is said.[/QUOTE

I agree, I too found my way to AllDeaf because "hearing" people treated me like I was stupid and humiliated me in front of everyone. I know many at AD have similiar experiences. It made me come to realise though that I could longer fool myself that I could survive in the 'hearing' world by trying to fool everyone that I could hear them ok, just because I can lipread well and with much effort speak well enough. I am learning sign also and prefer it much more to speech.

Kinda like a queen bee,huh? That could be a solution,lord knows the "nod and smile" ain't working too well anymore. :laugh2:

HAAAAAAAAA....I USED TO DO THAT@NOD AND SMILE....with a laugh...but sometimes I would do it so much that I would nod and smile or laugh at the wrong thing....especially if they are talking about something that's....not funny like death...so if I wasn't paying attention and start to laugh...people would look at me funny....*cringes*

ceelynncee :wave: - One trick is to dominate the conversation. You talk first (assuming you use speech) and keep hold of the conversation. Even if it is one-sided. You can read their facial expressions and body language too, if you haven't tried that already. If you cant follow their responses then, change the subject. Or you can go the other extreme and dont say anything but act as if you can hear them which I think is what you said you have been doing 'nod and smile'. If all that fails, tell everyone you sign from here on in.

BECLAK....I LIKE THAT...THAT'S A GOOD IDEA! I'm going to try that next time. It would allow me to engage if everyone is talking about the same topic...even if it trails off to someone else talking about something else...I'll be able to latch on!!!

I have no good advice. We have ceased going to picnics and get-togethers where we know we will encounter the "Stop signing!, it is rude!" people. We have chosen to remove ourselves from the stress.
We do go to small gatherings where we know the friends and family are inclusive and supportive. We like silent dinners and , just recently, went to an ASL Meetup. What fun :)

I'm also a follower of the whole smile and nod thing as well. If it really bothers me after a group event, I make it a point to take that person I want to know better aside afterward and explain that I don't really know what is going on during the last group conversation, but I would like to know them better. If done correctly - it doesn't come across like a date or something. The worst part is that once you tell that someone you don't really know what is going on, that someone might start trying to be helpful in the wrong way and you get uneccessary attention. I'd rather continue the smile and nod routine. Weird.

Back