HOH and Solace is my hearing ear in training ...

MySolace

Reaction score
I was searching for info on hearing dogs while reading "Lend Me an Ear", and found Pek1's rant from 2005. If you're reading this, you and I have a very similar attitude Pete. I only have moderate hearing loss, which of course makes it hard to call myself disabled. But it is not easy living with people who expect me to hear all sorts of fast, mumbled words with hands covering their mouth. I was told I need a hearing aid nearly 10 years ago. Got one then( can you believe insurance will not cover a hearing aid?!), and it sucks ass. I find myself hearing rusting of leaves instead of people's speech. Now I am told my hearing has gotten worse, and I need a better aid. Well, I can't afford one. So I am training my dog. he's only 15 months old, and already knows how to run to a ringing phone. We just started training last month. I also have a problem with my co-op who did not want to allow me back in my own apartment because I now have a dog. Well, I am jumping through the hoops. And I am loving all the info out there. So glad to be here.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I know Pek1 who is being Oral Deaf. :razz: I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

I was searching for info on hearing dogs while reading "Lend Me an Ear", and found Pek1's rant from 2005. If you're reading this, you and I have a very similar attitude Pete. I only have moderate hearing loss, which of course makes it hard to call myself disabled. But it is not easy living with people who expect me to hear all sorts of fast, mumbled words with hands covering their mouth. I was told I need a hearing aid nearly 10 years ago. Got one then( can you believe insurance will not cover a hearing aid?!), and it sucks ass. I find myself hearing rusting of leaves instead of people's speech. Now I am told my hearing has gotten worse, and I need a better aid. Well, I can't afford one. So I am training my dog. he's only 15 months old, and already knows how to run to a ringing phone. We just started training last month. I also have a problem with my co-op who did not want to allow me back in my own apartment because I now have a dog. Well, I am jumping through the hoops. And I am loving all the info out there. So glad to be here.

Welcome, but what good does it do you if you can't hear a phone ring but the dog tells you. I think the decibel level of speech you might hear on a phone is less that the phone ring.

This is theory only since I can't talk on a phone.:lol:

Welcome, but what good does it do you if you can't hear a phone ring but the dog tells you. I think the decibel level of speech you might hear on a phone is less that the phone ring.

This is theory only since I can't talk on a phone.:lol:

I could be totally off since I am only hard of hearing. But isn't there such a thing as a tty or tdd phone?
For me, it's that I simply don't hear the phone if it is in another room. Luckily, I can still talk on the phone, which I set to speaker, so I can hear better. I have moderate loss.
Other things dogs can be trained to do are hearing your name called by someone, and all sorts of door knocks, and ringing things (ie: smoke alarm, alarm clock, oven timer, etc...).

I could be totally off since I am only hard of hearing. But isn't there such a thing as a tty or tdd phone?
For me, it's that I simply don't hear the phone if it is in another room. Luckily, I can still talk on the phone, which I set to speaker, so I can hear better. I have moderate loss.
Other things dogs can be trained to do are hearing your name called by someone, and all sorts of door knocks, and ringing things (ie: smoke alarm, alarm clock, oven timer, etc...).

Ok. I'm deaf. I don't talk on the phone. But I know people who do have flashers to alert them..

My doorbell flashes. Sonic boom alarm clocks. Memory or set vibrating alarm on watch for stove, etc.

I am not against dogs, I have two.(pets) And yes I think it has to do with you being hard of hearing. I was recently discussing this, HOH seem to use hearing dogs much more than deaf.

Interesting. I have a vibrating alarm, a pocket timer vibrator for the stove. I have a cell phone that vibrates when I have a text or im. I also have a dog. First for protection, but she is so great at telling me when someone was at the door. She wakes me in the morning. Which is great if I have tossed my little vibrating clock off the bed. She lets me know if someone is coming up behind me when we are out walking. She puts herself between me and any stranger. Neither the dog or I give hoot if the house phone rings. I cant use it, so we dont care. Hubby uses it.
I can be out on the patio and she will run in and out with her long nose pointing toward the front door. She lets me know if there is a neighbor near the fence. Tireless pursuit of evil squirrels. She has protected me from an intruder.
I do not think that a hearing dog is for everyone. Lots of responsibility, easily bored, big attention hound. Vet bills! My best friend. I dont feel so isolated. She is great for this old deaf lady.

Interesting. I have a vibrating alarm, a pocket timer vibrator for the stove. I have a cell phone that vibrates when I have a text or im. I also have a dog. First for protection, but she is so great at telling me when someone was at the door. She wakes me in the morning. Which is great if I have tossed my little vibrating clock off the bed. She lets me know if someone is coming up behind me when we are out walking. She puts herself between me and any stranger. Neither the dog or I give hoot if the house phone rings. I cant use it, so we dont care. Hubby uses it.
I can be out on the patio and she will run in and out with her long nose pointing toward the front door. She lets me know if there is a neighbor near the fence. Tireless pursuit of evil squirrels. She has protected me from an intruder.
I do not think that a hearing dog is for everyone. Lots of responsibility, easily bored, big attention hound. Vet bills! My best friend. I dont feel so isolated. She is great for this old deaf lady.

My dogs do that too Nan. All dogs do naturally. But it seems very unnecessary to haul them around to the grocery and restaurants and other places of business.

I dont take Holly to grocery or restaurants. Agreed. I dont need to have alerts there from her or need her protection. She is for my protection primarily. I would not hear an intruder. If I do take her out, she is at the vet or with friends. She is very good at nosing me if someone is near, she is always very close to me. She is the best alarm clock. Never runs out of batteries or does not need more than a loving pat.

I do have two other pet pups. They do not display this behavior. Of course, I did train Holly to help out. The other two, Bitsy and Boudreaux (Boo) are sweet and wonderful but not as helpful. I think dogs are great.

What kind of dogs do you have ?

I dont take Holly to grocery or restaurants. Agreed. I dont need to have alerts there from her or need her protection. She is for my protection primarily. I would not hear an intruder. If I do take her out, she is at the vet or with friends. She is very good at nosing me if someone is near, she is always very close to me. She is the best alarm clock. Never runs out of batteries or does not need more than a loving pat.

I do have two other pet pups. They do not display this behavior. Of course, I did train Holly to help out. The other two, Bitsy and Boudreaux (Boo) are sweet and wonderful but not as helpful. I think dogs are great.

What kind of dogs do you have ?

Poodle and Shih Tzu

I know that poodles are very smart. I dont know much about Shih Tzus except they are very cute.

I know that poodles are very smart. I dont know much about Shih Tzus except they are very cute.

My daughter has a Shih Tzu and it is a complete idiot. Both my dogs were considered as possible Shih Tzu/Poodle cross due to breeder accidents.

They look like specifically one a Poodle and the other a Shih Tzu, but it is possible the Shih Tzu is half Poodle, because she is a little genius.

Here is what they look like...

2i77fc9_th.jpg

:wave:
:ty: for pic's of your canine friends, Bott!
how old are they - or did I miss that somewhere? As a young child I fell in love with a visiting Black Toy Poodle. He and his family were from Texas and they were staying at my folks' next-door-neighbor's place. Those neighbors also happened to be good family friends of ours so when they had the Texas visitors we got to know them, too. I was about 10 or 11. The little Poodle had traveled all over the world with his people.
someday would like to have hubby post a pic. or two of my guys-

and yes, if it's not already obvious, I am a dog-person too! :D

okay, for me to be back on-topic, welcome to any newcomers who happen to read this!

:wave:
:ty: for pic's of your canine friends, Bott!
how old are they - or did I miss that somewhere? As a young child I fell in love with a visiting Black Toy Poodle. He and his family were from Texas and they were staying at my folks' next-door-neighbor's place. Those neighbors also happened to be good family friends of ours so when they had the Texas visitors we got to know them, too. I was about 10 or 11. The little Poodle had traveled all over the world with his people.
someday would like to have hubby post a pic. or two of my guys-

and yes, if it's not already obvious, I am a dog-person too! :D

okay, for me to be back on-topic, welcome to any newcomers who happen to read this!
The poodle is 7 and our little Shih Tzu is the baby of our family at 3 years old.

ah, you have young little guys yet- for small dogs, 7 is young.

Back