HOH and new here :)

DaBiffsta

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to the site- I was born with BOR syndrome which is causing progressive hearing loss. I am currently in the process of getting new hearing aids (I hated my old Sony ones). I am really into musical theater and choir.
Recently, my hearing has started to dive off the deep end. I am still in the mild-to-moderate range, but I have to sit in front of every class and always have ask my friends to repeat themselves over and over and OVER again... Would I be considered HOH? How would I fit in to Deaf Community- if at all? Any similar experiences out there?
-Thanks!!!:)

Hello! I am new to the site- I was born with BOR syndrome which is causing progressive hearing loss. I am currently in the process of getting new hearing aids (I hated my old Sony ones). I am really into musical theater and choir.
Recently, my hearing has started to dive off the deep end. I am still in the mild-to-moderate range, but I have to sit in front of every class and always have ask my friends to repeat themselves over and over and OVER again... Would I be considered HOH? How would I fit in to Deaf Community- if at all? Any similar experiences out there?
-Thanks!!!:)

Hi. Welcome to AD! do you have mild-to-moderate in both ears? However, I think it's can be considered as HOH... I have mild-to-moderate hearing loss in my right ear and profound hearing loss on left ear. I have same problems, having to ask my friends to repeat themselves over and over again. For years, I sit infront of every class that I attended, and now I'm getting used to it.

However, nice to know ya! Hope to see you around :wave:

Welcome! I'm HOH in both ears and wear hearing aids (but only at work and when I'm with people)...my hearing aids are Phonak and are pretty good...anyways, I've been gradually losing my hearing since 3rd grade due to Histoplasmosis but I am not part of the Deaf Community at all, I also have never really bee around anyone (sans the elderly) with hearing problems in person--not by choice obviously just by chance...I'm also not fluent in ASL, I only know about 100 signs or so, but oddly enough, I only know ASL because that's how I communicate with my students who are autistic and non-verbal...

Thanks! And yes, I am Mild-To-Moderate in both ears (left ear is worse- punctured eardrum when I was little with a pickup stick:).
Do you ever have problems with your hearing aids? like feedback? I tried out a new pair and I just couldn't get past the fact that if I ever hug somebody they squeal like crazy...

Thanks! And yes, I am Mild-To-Moderate in both ears (left ear is worse- punctured eardrum when I was little with a pickup stick:).
Do you ever have problems with your hearing aids? like feedback? I tried out a new pair and I just couldn't get past the fact that if I ever hug somebody they squeal like crazy...

Hi! I'm new here too. I know what you mean about catching feedback during hugs. The other thing I get all the time is they'll somehow manage to jam the bit in my ear and it HURTS! Plus it's impossible to lie down with them on.

That sound so painful !

Yes,you're classfied as HOH.How old are you? You mention school,and a progressive loss......I would contact your state's Deaf School and see about local resources etc.....It's important to be proactive and take advantage of every and anything that's out there,so you can be prepared for any and every outcome......There's a TON of resources and options out there....Like for example, you could spend a year at your state's Deaf School/MSSD becoming fluent in ASL (and yes they're HOH friendly)You could attend a Dhh program at a local high school, you could go to Deaf camp etc etc etc.....Hope this helps!

Just wanted to say that a dhh program housed at a hearing school would be awesome for you. You could take advantage of becoming fluent in ASL by exposure to other kids who Sign, AND teachers who are well versed in how to teach dhh kids, specialized classes etc.while being able to take advantage of the muscial theatre and choir opertunties.

Welcome to AD.
I'm HoH and Mild-Moderately severe. I wear two hearing aids.
I also have to sit in front of the classroom, I have FM System too. I always to have ask for my friend and family to repeat themselves. Even if ones in another room, trying to talk I can't hear them they're muffled as ever.
Learning ASL is a great way to communicate. I'm currently learning it now and I love it. I wish I knew it as a kid.
I'd get involve with the community by going to deaf event/coffees/gatherings. Or taking AS classes near you :)

I am in high school- taking my 2nd year of ASL. I have gotten many letters from Gaulladett and RIT about summer programs etc. and I am very interested! How do I find out more about Dhh programs housed in hearing schools?

I am in high school- taking my 2nd year of ASL. I have gotten many letters from Gaulladett and RIT about summer programs etc. and I am very interested! How do I find out more about Dhh programs housed in hearing schools?

YEAH!!!!!!!Wow...that's good that you're getting info about summer programs....there are also summer programs at deaf schools.Summer programs are a MUST for mainstreamed dhh kids...Gally even has a program for dhh kids who want to learn ASL!Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
What state are you in? I'd contact your state's School for the Deaf and see if they can point you towards dhh programs.

You might also check your school district's special services/SPED website, which may or may not have good information. (I would have put up my own school district's as an example, but it's not well organized or easy to find anything.)

Back