Hiya!

ohnoes

Reaction score
Hey everybody :D I'm 26/f and increasingly HoH, thinking about learning sign language. It gets me down sometimes, but there are funny moments that make it livable :D Last night I was turned away from the TV and kept hearing the words wrong (We must find out why these children were retarded) (I am the bacon queen, give me a massage) etc. Is that a common problem if you're turned away that the sounds get distorted, drop out or run together? Anyway, nice meeting everyone and this board looks awesome :lol:

Hey everybody :D I'm 26/f and increasingly HoH, thinking about learning sign language. It gets me down sometimes, but there are funny moments that make it livable :D Last night I was turned away from the TV and kept hearing the words wrong (We must find out why these children were retarded) (I am the bacon queen, give me a massage) etc. Is that a common problem if you're turned away that the sounds get distorted, drop out or run together? Anyway, nice meeting everyone and this board looks awesome :lol:

:welcome: Yes it is common, and it gets worse until you can't make the words out even with the volume up and looking at the screen.

Keep laughing, it is the best way to deal with it, learn some sign and move with it, you can always put subtitles on and watch it that way! :)

Ahh, I'm alright with CC since I grew up with deaf cousins who had it on all the time :D I'm a copywriter so I don't think losing my hearing is really going to affect me as much (very few people talk on the phone, we just email and skype text one another), aside from not being able to hear music. The only problem I really have right now is my husband starting random conversations with me from another room/other side of the room and me screaming "WHAT?!" to the point where he just gives up. I'm trying to get him to come pat me or send me a message before we start talking so I can take off my headphones and tilt the good ear in his direction.

CC won't be so bad, honestly the only problem I'm having now is communicating with my husband. He'll start random conversations with me from the kitchen or another room while the water is running and I'm yelling "what?!" until we both just give up and he comes and tells me what he needs ^^

CC won't be so bad, honestly the only problem I'm having now is communicating with my husband. He'll start random conversations with me from the kitchen or another room while the water is running and I'm yelling "what?!" until we both just give up and he comes and tells me what he needs ^^

Yes, I know what you mean, I am the deaf one and I will often ask questions I can't hear the answer to, you learn to go and find the person. Signing can make life easier, you can talk up a flight of stairs without shouting or mistakes! :cool2:

Welcome. Here in California the CC can be just OK. Lots of missed conversation and bad mis types. I am deaf without HA so if someone comes up to me from behind it scares me. I have not learned ASL yet so communicatin is really hard. Phone conversations are not available yet. Good Luck!!!!

Back