Hiya from Charleston, SC.

D3MAGNUS

Reaction score
A profoundly deaf male gamer here! Mine's Paul. Nice to meet y'all.

I just thought I should find a deaf community on the Internet to keep me socialized (or seek a real-life community,) so I found this forum.

Here I go...

I just moved to Charleston,SC with my parents as soon as I got graduated from NTID in Rochester, NY. (I really miss my friends from my college. More than my old hometown. Shhh.)

I decided to be a freelancer for my graphic design skills (mostly use Photoshop to do mixed media, posters, layouts and etc for selling 'em to my clients) and dog-sitting (I took care of more than 15 dogs and two cats so far.) I've been living in Charleston, SC for almost one year now.

Speaking of "real-life" community I mentioned earlier, I'm seeking a deaf group in my current hometown, or one or two deaf/HoH friends with good acknowledges about online video games and Internet stuff (ex: reddit, tumblr, and good shits.) I'd be appreciated if you guys tell me about someone who lives close to my current hometown. (Or wishing me a good luck is either fine!)

That's all. Thanks for reading.

Oh, and here is the link to view my gallery of graphic artworks:
Gallery | Paul A. Hovan

And here is my Steam:
Steam Community :: D3MAGNUS

Welcome aboard.

I lived in Columbia for a few years- never really found a deaf community in Columbia at least- so not sure about the rest of the state. For other reasons I left SC.. and at this point am not sure I want to move back even though it wasn't such a bad place to live. Charleston is nice- visited there once (wish I had gone down there more often!).

I think there's a better deaf community up in Charlotte but that's at least a 2-3 hour drive north....

Thanks! Charleston is indeed nice.

Now you mentioned Charlotte. I remember some students in my college told me about there are a lot of deaf people in Charlotte. But that sucks for 2-3 hours drive north to get there. :/ I better save my money for buying tickets for visiting my girlfriend in CA. If I haven't found a good community in SC till my girlfriend gets graduated in her college three years later, I might move to CA alone with my girlfriend. Many friends in my college are from CA.

:welcome:

Check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/224038441056828/permalink/503393686454634/

They have Silent Dinners every month at a different Lowcountry restaurant. They try to rotate around Charleston, Summerville, Goose Creek, Mount Pleasant, etc., so everyone has a chance to attend one close by.

July 5, the next one is at Coconut Joe's on the Isle of Palms. That's a fun, casual place, right on the beach, with good seafood.

It's a good group of Deaf, HoH, and a few hearing. Includes singles and married, various ages but more younger ones than some of the other Deaf groups locally.

Other Charleston-area groups:

SC Association for the Deaf

Low Country Association of the Deaf also sponsors activities. (Their contact info is at the above link.)

I'm not sure who the gamers are around here but if you attend the Silent Dinners you should be able to find out.

Welcome aboard.

I lived in Columbia for a few years- never really found a deaf community in Columbia at least- so not sure about the rest of the state. For other reasons I left SC.. and at this point am not sure I want to move back even though it wasn't such a bad place to live. Charleston is nice- visited there once (wish I had gone down there more often!)....
Columbia and Charleston are two different worlds. :lol:

Awesome! I'll be coming there at Coconut Joe's and find out! Thanks for info, Reba! :ty:

8NMoaC5.png

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Hope you have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

July 5, the next one is at Coconut Joe's on the Isle of Palms. That's a fun, casual place, right on the beach, with good seafood.

I went there and I had fun! All of em were older than me but I enjoyed talking with 'em and had laughs. And guess what? One of them told me that there are many deaf people in my hometown, but we haven't seen a deaf person yet since we moved in. I guess I used to be one of those cavemen too, but I just walked out of my cave now. =P Hahaha.

Back