Hit With A $96 Charge from Vonage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was with Vonage about late last year and the service is great for me until the price increase of my Vonage 500 Minute Basic plan, which originally costs $14.99/month and it went up to $17.99 a month starting this month. However, I disagree with the rate increase to $17.99/month, as I hardly use over 100 minutes of my home phone service. So, last month, I switched over to Packet8 service and have my phone number ported.

And this is when I got hit with a $96 charge yesterday ($39.95 termination fee and I think it is the cost of my Vonage Portal -- probably $50). I just got surprised and couldn't afford the charge of $96. :mad:

Right after I switch over to Packet8, I saw a charge of $2 for E911 fee, but sadly, it is mandatory -- probably 50 cents higher than Vonage.

Gee, I feel like I'm in a financial mess right now... :(

(Begin heavy vent) Vonage, stop with the rate increase for the Basic 500 minute plan! :mad: (End heavy vent)

Learn your lesson. In fact many deaf and hearing peoples stop use phone service anymore for save financial. Everyone use their mobiles.

You can use E911 thru VP200 and dial 911 thru mobile. So what's point to keep phone services?

Well, I'm using AT&T Pay-As-You-Go service for my cell phone and I want to keep it minimal. So that's when I'm using VoIP, which is cheaper than my cell phone.

Also, I have a little knowledge of ASL, so no VP200 for me. If only I can stop paying for E911 in my Packet8 phone service.

Want to prevent this from happening? Simple, use magnifly glass and read that darn fine print note.

Sometimes it is not good idea to switch. Right now the economy is screwy up, and every corners of businesses is trying to raise capital to keep afloat, failure to do so can lead to bankruptcy and closures.

More and more banks now can't lend much money like they used to be, which caused their financial paper to dry up.

Oh, boy... I should've stuck with Vonage even though I disagree with their rate increase... :(

Well, I'm using AT&T Pay-As-You-Go service for my cell phone and I want to keep it minimal. So that's when I'm using VoIP, which is cheaper than my cell phone.

Also, I have a little knowledge of ASL, so no VP200 for me. If only I can stop paying for E911 in my Packet8 phone service.

No matter Pay-As-You-Go service or not. You still get free 911. It's law.
Did you know that?

Well, I got two E911 service: one for cell phone (free) and one for VoIP phone ($2)!

I can't opt out of $2 E911 service for my VoIP phone. It's FCC who forces VoIP providers down their throats and making me pay for E911 service.

Here's my bill:
Monthly Service Charge: $14.99
E911 Service Fee: $1.99
Florida Communications Service Tax: $0.40
Florida Local Communications Service Tax: $1.17
Regulatory Recovery Fee: $1.75
State 911 Fee: $0.50
Universal Service Surcharge: $0.96

That's for my Freedom Choice 500 Minute plan. Please, let's not argue any further that 911 service is free for my cell phone. That's not the point of my thread.

Yeah Vonage gets you w/that $39.95 termination fee. It's WAY deep in the super fine print- that if you started service after a certain date you have to keep it for 2 years or you're slapped w/that fee. I disputed it w/my debit card company as an unauthorized charge-- and they took care of it. ;) but ooh was I mad!!! I understand your frustration!!

Sure that 911 service is free... BUT where do you think 911 gets money from, to pay for overhead cost, labor cost, etc, etc etc? Money has to come from somewhere anyway.

Want 100% honest answer? The honest answer is NOTHING is free, period!

Well, I got two E911 service: one for cell phone (free) and one for VoIP phone ($2)!

I can't opt out of $2 E911 service for my VoIP phone. It's FCC who forces VoIP providers down their throats and making me pay for E911 service.

Here's my bill:

That's for my Freedom Choice 500 Minute plan. Please, let's not argue any further that 911 service is free for my cell phone. That's not the point of my thread.

Sure that 911 service is free... BUT where do you think 911 gets money from, to pay for overhead cost, labor cost, etc, etc etc? Money has to come from somewhere anyway.

Want 100% honest answer? The honest answer is NOTHING is free, period!

Do you meant as a reply to:
No matter Pay-As-You-Go service or not. You still get free 911. It's law.
Did you know that?

911 call center can not bill you for the service that they offer you, but again where do they get money from? Of course Uncle Sam, and where do you think Uncle Sam gets money from? You thought it right... Taxes!

Do you meant as a reply to:

Why is my thread been turned into E911? *shrug* :iough:

I'm not in the mood to discuss about E911 service for the lack of understanding about my frustration try to keep my monthly service charge low (which is why I switched to Packet8), so moderators, can you please close my thread?

Mod's Note:

Thread closed requested by the thread creator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back