Hire a dog to find my hearing aid?

paperclip

Reaction score
So I lost my hearing aid. I have this bad habit of putting them in pockets and only wearing one at a time. I lost it about a month ago and it hasn't shown up yet. I've checked everywhere and in every pocket that I own. I've check with campus safety lost and found several times. I have 5 housemates, all of whom have been going on "hunts" with me to find it.

While, I'm 99 percent certain that it is not in my house, I was thinking about investigating the possibility of hiring a smelling dog that could "look" for me. Has anyone ever done this? Have they had any luck?

Haven't figure out how I'd hire the dog yet though...perhaps I should figure that one out first...

One problem presented though. I think the dog needs to smell that particular hearing aid first to be able to have the scent down? And there are certain dogs that smell better than others, like for instance I recall bloodhounds are extremely advanced compared to other species.

I've lost mine a few times before, from what I always did was I backtracked from the point where I knew I last had it, to the point where I lost it. I do a photo-recollection of the events that occurred and start from each one. Figure out the time, what you were doing, why did you put it away, and how long ago it was since you last lost it.

If it's out somewhere like in a field or something.. Tough luck. Once I did lose mine playing volleyball at night on the beach. I got hit by the ball from another side. Couldn't find it that night, way too dark. I ended up borrowing a metal detector and found it the next day (along with some other goodies as well ;))

I have never lost a hearing aid. I put them in the same place EVERY night before bed. That way I don't have to wonder where they are. I think Naisho has a good point in that the dog may not have something to pick up the scent from, unless sniffing the OTHER aid and earmold helps.

One problem presented though. I think the dog needs to smell that particular hearing aid first to be able to have the scent down? And there are certain dogs that smell better than others, like for instance I recall bloodhounds are extremely advanced compared to other species.

I still have my right aid. I'm missing my left aid. I was thinking that they could smell ear wax. One ear doesn't smell different than another???

I'm a little desparate since I have two senior research presentations Friday...:hmm:

I was consider getting my right aid programmed for my left ear (better ear) for my presentations but I don't have spare earmolds. My audiologist is 2,500 miles away (PA) and I am not sure how difficult it would be to get that kind of programming data to another audiologist.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited:

I've lost mine a few times before, from what I always did was I backtracked from the point where I knew I last had it, to the point where I lost it. I do a photo-recollection of the events that occurred and start from each one. Figure out the time, what you were doing, why did you put it away, and how long ago it was since you last lost it.

If it's out somewhere like in a field or something.. Tough luck. Once I did lose mine playing volleyball at night on the beach. I got hit by the ball from another side. Couldn't find it that night, way too dark. I ended up borrowing a metal detector and found it the next day (along with some other goodies as well ;))

What goodies did you find????

I still have my right aid. I'm missing my left aid. I was thinking that they could smell ear wax. One ear doesn't smell different than another???

I'm a little desparate since I have two senior research presentations Friday...:hmm:

I was consider getting my right aid programmed for my left ear (better ear) for my presentations but I don't have spare earmolds. My audiologist is 2,500 miles away (PA) and I am not sure how difficult it would be to get that kind of programming data to another audiologist.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

How about the dog sniff your ear, which would help??? :laugh2:

Actually, I think you probably could hire a dog to do so. Some dogs, particularly in the hound group have amazing scent-trailing capabilities. Since dogs have been hired to find bedbugs, lost people, and even to sense that an avalanche is coming, I think this is a perfectly viable option. Yes, the dog would need to smell your other hearing aid. I hope you find it!

If it has raind and due to the amount of time i am sad to say the chances are slim , I know I would cry if i lost one they cost 6k a piece and I cried when I lost an ear molud due to the pocket routine , mabey your insure will replace it?

I don't know if that's any way possible to have a dog to find your hearing aids, dogs are known to follow the scent, if your hearing aids stinks maybe the dogs can follow the stinky scent of your hearing aids. :lol: j/k

the amount of times iv lost my implant....

the best thing to find it was...............
my mom LOL

Back