Because of the off-topic at the other thread,
I hope you don't mind that I copy Reba's comment
about HIPPA here on this new thread here
because I am very upset
thinking about this "isolation" at any hosptial situations
because of this new law (HIPPA)

http://www.alldeaf.com/632961-post52.html

Copy Reba's posting here:

I know it's in violation of HIPPA. Most places are very strict about that. The hospital rooms now have the patient charts under lock and key, and even legitimate visitors (family and friends) have trouble getting in. Family members get secret codes to use when then call to check on a patient. Even when I'm interpreting in a medical records building (no patients or doctors, just admin stuff), I have to sign a HIPPA confidentiality form, each time. When I'm in a patient's room, I don't even glance at the monitors that the patient is hooked up to; I don't want to see the vital sign numbers or IV information. Terps have been told that if a doctor or nurse isn't present, then the terp can't stay alone in a room with a Deaf patient. This is kind of sad because many Deaf patients are lonely, and a few extra minutes of non-medical friendly "chat" can mean a lot. I don't mean discussing someone's medical condition but whatever topic the patient wants to talk about--kids, school, weather, sports, etc.

It wasn't a nurse that contacted them. It was a non-medical staff member. That's all I can say.

HIPPA should be abolished/removed because it is
NOT Fair that many other hearing patients
were able to have normal conversation/chat
with anyone they choose !?!?!?

I HATE this kind of "rules" That's terrible because
that way will decrease their level
of motivations/quality in Communications.

What do you think of HIPPA ? Do you think
it is Fair ?

As a nurse, I have to deal with pissed off family members every day in reation to HIPPA. I have to comply though, if one gets caught by a "HIPPA" compliance officer, you lose your job and face federal penalties.
First of all, those are way to harsh....its not like we're divulging CIA intelligence. I feel there is a lot repealing and ammending of this law that needs to take place. I see instances when the law has been in the patient's best interests, but all too often it just makes mad patient's, and family members. I don't know why they still allow "semiprivate" hospital rooms still when HIPPA is supposed to protect one's privacy.....I don't think a curtain is going to prevent the patient on the other side from hearing....unless it's one of us deafies...LOL.
:spam:

I was told that HIPPA is for everywhere
not just hosptial only, but for everywhere ! eeek

Again, I do NOT like this HIPPA law at all...

While there are certain parts of HIPPA that I disagree with, on the other hand, HIPPA does protect my medical information and prevents people that I DON'T WANT to know about my medical issues.

For example, HIPPA prevents the medical staff from doing something that could be shared with my friends, family, or other unapproved person. If I didn't want my boss or coworkers or parents (I'm an adult here) to know that I have AIDS, then HIPPA protects me. Without HIPPA, someone may tell and I might end up without a job, or discriminated against, or disowned, without having control over the situation.

This one reason why we been getting a lot of interpreting subcontracts recently. Many membership interpreters are refusing to sign the HIPPA's so they abandon the contracts and the dr's office call us afterwards. We're very good with confidentiality issues unlike the membership interpreters with their gossiping potlucks.

HIPPA is helping us win a lot of interpreting contracts than before.

Richard

This one reason why we been getting a lot of interpreting subcontracts recently. Many membership interpreters are refusing to sign the HIPPA's so they abandon the contracts and the dr's office call us afterwards. We're very good with confidentiality issues unlike the membership interpreters with their gossiping potlucks.

HIPPA is helping us win a lot of interpreting contracts than before.

Richard
What is a "membership" interpreter? Why do they refuse to sign the HIPPA agreements?

My wheelchair shop got called, the doctor refused to release my DX (Diagonis) information, then I told the shop, I must to sign "HIPPA Release" form, so then finally my doctor received a HIPPA release form and sent a DX information out to the wheelchair shop for new power wheelchair (usually changes every 5 years). it's only release between the authorized medical fields (Hosp to Hosp, Clinic to Hosp, Clinic to wheelchair shop and etc, the HIPPA cannot gives out to non-authorized ppls.

While there are certain parts of HIPPA that I disagree with, on the other hand, HIPPA does protect my medical information and prevents people that I DON'T WANT to know about my medical issues.

For example, HIPPA prevents the medical staff from doing something that could be shared with my friends, family, or other unapproved person. If I didn't want my boss or coworkers or parents (I'm an adult here) to know that I have AIDS, then HIPPA protects me. Without HIPPA, someone may tell and I might end up without a job, or discriminated against, or disowned, without having control over the situation.

I agree. I prefer to keep my medical information private, and I do not like the idea of someone trying to get my private information without my permission. So I am in favor of HIPPA, even if I have to sign every release/authorization form for everything. That way I know where my private medical information goes, and who gets it.

Many interpreters belong to large interpreter organizations and those are called 'membership interpreters' in my book.

I hope this answer finds you well.

Richard

It's
hipaa-lock.jpg
not
hippo.gif

I agree. I prefer to keep my medical information private, and I do not like the idea of someone trying to get my private information without my permission. So I am in favor of HIPPA, even if I have to sign every release/authorization form for everything. That way I know where my private medical information goes, and who gets it.

I agree with you! It sounds like the law could be tweaked a bit, but I think we need guidelines in place to protect our medical info.

There are many people who have sensitive medical diagnoses like AIDS and mental illness. It would be absolutely devestating if their medical information was widely accessible. People could be denied jobs, insurance coverage, and Lord knows what else could happen simply because they had AIDS, or were diagnosed with depression. This would open up a Pandora's Box.

Therefore, I'm in favor of HIPPA. It's not a perfect law, and should be reworked, maybe, but overall we NEED this law.

Many interpreters belong to large interpreter organizations and those are called 'membership interpreters' in my book.

I hope this answer finds you well.

Richard
Thank you.

Do you mean just RID and NAD certified terps, or do you also include terps who are members but not yet certified?

I don't understand why they wouldn't sign the forms. Did they give a reason?

The hospitals haven't requested that I sign a form yet.

I've noticed that if I stop at the hospital info desk, I have to fill out a visitor form, get "verified", get a visitor "badge", etc. If I just walk into the hospital confidently and go straight to the elevator and the patient room, no one stops or questions me. I'm just wearing "street" clothes, and no ID badge. I'm able to go thru several "layers" at the hospital that way.

The other important part of HIPAA is that it makes it harder for insurance companies to deny coverage to people with long-term conditions.

Is it a PITA to deal with? Yes. But the privacy is important, and the protection of coverage is important. In the end, I suspect it's worth it.

I've noticed that if I stop at the hospital info desk, I have to fill out a visitor form, get "verified", get a visitor "badge", etc. If I just walk into the hospital confidently and go straight to the elevator and the patient room, no one stops or questions me. I'm just wearing "street" clothes, and no ID badge. I'm able to go thru several "layers" at the hospital that way.

*shrug* That's a hospital issue. That could also mean that if someone wanted to hurt me at the same hospital, they could do it just as easily as you got through. I wouldn't stay there if I knew that was possible.

Back