High school accomadations (and broken spell check)

lucky loser

Reaction score
Hi guys so my spell check is broken so bear with me :ty:
I have to see the TOD tomorrow so i thought i'd ask what accomadations others have.
I have a teacher aid or notetaker an request like in music we are doing arul skills (listening skills) and i can't listen to the instraments and figer out what the note is so i can ask for a teacher aid
I can also request help on a test if i need it example in jap we have listening tests the teacher will tell me before hand and i can ask the learning support center to provide a teacher aid and i'll do the test in another room where it's quite and 1 on 1.
Most of the time i just depend on my ci and fm but if my fm breaks i can get a loner from learning support
Also if i feel i'm falling behind in a class i can be taken out of that class for 1 lesson for a catch up session
this is all set up so i don't need to have a teacher aid in all my classes because in some classes i don't need help and some i only need help some times so a full time teacher aid or note talker is pointless

Do you have to take music classes? I don't know if you are in the US. All my music/band classes were waived in favor of anything else -- study hall, gym, etc. Do you get any benefit out of taking these music classes?

I've interpreted for deaf band students.

Learning music history is part of a well-rounded education.

Music was required during my school years as well. But as a deaf person, I got that waived without a problem. I would imagine you could get it waived if you felt you were not benefiting from it.

Reba: I can see where you're going with "learning music history is part of a well-rounded education." However, in the case of us who are deaf and can't hear tones, pitch, notes, it's incredibly difficult to fathom playing an instrument. Why would I even consider taking band or music (and when I was referring to music earlier - it was either band or choir. It wasn't music history.) Anyways, that is why I asked the OP if she felt she was getting any benefit out of her "required" music classes.

can see where you're going with "learning music history is part of a well-rounded education." However, in the case of us who are deaf and can't hear tones, pitch, notes, it's incredibly difficult to fathom playing an instrument.
I remember clearly being in music class, and being PUZZLED as to what the notes even MEANT. I could hear the notes and stuff..........but still don't even know how to read music or anything.
The accomodnatiosn I had were preferential seating, notetakers, and Resource Room study hall as well as special ed math.
And untimed tests on essay exams since it is hard for me to write manually.

Music was required during my school years as well. But as a deaf person, I got that waived without a problem. I would imagine you could get it waived if you felt you were not benefiting from it.
If high school students got to choose only subjects that they felt benefitted them, the curriculum would be very limited. :lol:

I can see where you're going with "learning music history is part of a well-rounded education." However, in the case of us who are deaf and can't hear tones, pitch, notes, it's incredibly difficult to fathom playing an instrument.
I said music history. That is, knowing about famous composers, genres of music, how music and culture relate, music vocabulary. None of that requires listening to music.

Why should deaf students be shut out of certain areas of education to which hearing students are exposed?

Why would I even consider taking band or music (and when I was referring to music earlier - it was either band or choir. It wasn't music history.) Anyways, that is why I asked the OP if she felt she was getting any benefit out of her "required" music classes.
I don't think deaf students should be forced to take up a musical instrument or join band or choir. Hearing students aren't forced to do that, are they?

However, if a deaf student wants to take up an instrument, he or she should be allowed to, the same as a hearing student.

There are deaf musicians in the world.

I remember clearly being in music class, and being PUZZLED as to what the notes even MEANT. I could hear the notes and stuff..........but still don't even know how to read music or anything....
There are a lot of hearing people who can't read music, play an instrument, or carry a tune. That doesn't mean they can't learn about music. That's not the same requirement as performing music.

So in a conversation, or when they're reading a book, or watching a movie, they can know and understand the references that are made to famous composers, types of music, and vocabulary, without feeling left out.

Holy cow. :shock:

If high school students got to choose only subjects that they felt benefitted them, the curriculum would be very limited. :lol:

Do we get to choose math, english, history, social studies, government, art, etc. regardless of whether we're deaf or hearing? No. We take these classes because it's an instrumental (no pun intended) part of learning and real-world usage.

Music, however? Entirely another subject.

Hearing makes all the difference in the world when it comes to music, especially if we can't be in speech ranges or understand pitch, tone, on-key, off-key, notes, etc.

For those of us in the severe/profound/total deaf ranges, it's a HUGE thing.

Your blatant disregard of that shocks me, frankly. :shock:

I said music history. That is, knowing about famous composers, genres of music, how music and culture relate, music vocabulary. None of that requires listening to music.

You're right, you did say that. And I did say that my school didn't offer music history. Only band or choir. If other schools offer music history, then I stand corrected.

I don't think deaf students should be forced to take up a musical instrument or join band or choir. Hearing students aren't forced to do that, are they?

In my school, they were. It was part of keeping with today's standards -- being well-versed in all areas. Perhaps it was different during your time. I did go to a very large high school, so perhaps that school in itself had different requirements, different standards.

However, if a deaf student wants to take up an instrument, he or she should be allowed to, the same as a hearing student.

Absolutely! But required to?

NO.

Reba: I can see where you're going with "learning music history is part of a well-rounded education." However, in the case of us who are deaf and can't hear tones, pitch, notes, it's incredibly difficult to fathom playing an instrument. Why would I even consider taking band or music (and when I was referring to music earlier - it was either band or choir. It wasn't music history.) Anyways, that is why I asked the OP if she felt she was getting any benefit out of her "required" music classes.

Why should deaf students be shut out of certain areas of education to which hearing students are exposed?

And, you cut my post in half. I was talking about music history in the SAME paragraph.

Last edited:
Holy cow. :shock:

Do we get to choose math, english, history, social studies, government, art, etc. regardless of whether we're deaf or hearing? No. We take these classes because it's an instrumental (no pun intended) part of learning and real-world usage.

Music, however? Entirely another subject.

Hearing makes all the difference in the world when it comes to music, especially if we can't be in speech ranges or understand pitch, tone, on-key, off-key, notes, etc.

For those of us in the severe/profound/total deaf ranges, it's a HUGE thing.

Your blatant disregard of that shocks me, frankly. :shock:
Like I posted, there's a difference between learning about music and learning how to perform music.

People learn about art without becoming artists.

You're right, you did say that. And I did say that my school didn't offer music history.
Obviously you can't take a course if your school doesn't offer it. That's true for every subject.

Only band or choir. If other schools offer music history, then I stand corrected.
I can't speak for all schools.

Some schools offer a choice between taking a music course or an art course.

In my school, they were. It was part of keeping with today's standards -- being well-versed in all areas. Perhaps it was different during your time. I did go to a very large high school, so perhaps that school in itself had different requirements, different standards.
Maybe. In "my time" I went to two large high schools in California, and two medium size high schools in Connecticut.

Absolutely! But required to?

NO.
I thought in most schools now, music programs were being cut back or cut out because schools needed to cut their budgets. I'm surprised that it's a mandatory course.

we are only learing how to write music by ear so you see my prob i talked to my TOD she said i could just have resouse room time instead of music

we are only learing how to write music by ear so you see my prob i talked to my TOD she said i could just have resouse room time instead of music
That seems very strange that they would make you take that kind of course. Sadly, the school year is almost over now. It's too bad you couldn't have been reassigned to some other course at the beginning of the year. A course in art or photography would probably be more interesting and useful than composing music or resource room.

So in a conversation, or when they're reading a book, or watching a movie, they can know and understand the references that are made to famous composers, types of music, and vocabulary, without feeling left out.

A music history class, or a music theory class, is a completely different experience than a music performance class. The OP seems to be referring to a music class set around performance.

It would be the same difference between an art appreciation or art history class and a painting class.

A music history class, or a music theory class, is a completely different experience than a music performance class. The OP seems to be referring to a music class set around performance.

It would be the same difference between an art appreciation or art history class and a painting class.
I know. In my first post, I wasn't referring to that student's specific class.

term 2 just started it's not even close to the end or the year
no one was noteafied that i cant hear distint music notes they assumed i could because i have a ci

Back