Hiding Places for a Spare House Key?....

Really some good ideas here!...What I had been doing was....have a hanging sign on my front door that says..."A spoiled rotten Pomeranian lives here"....On the back of it, is my house key, duct-taped....gonna move it tho'!....Some people stick their keys into potted plants...and do believe someone had keys hidden in the soles of his shoes....

my husband got locked out twice (with leaving the spare key inside after using it) that I ended up buying a coded lock...LOVED it!

I just laughed myself about best place to hide spare keys... well, one day I just decided to take a look outside on third floor deck (master bedroom deck) and I closed the sliding door to conserve the heat from entering the house. When I'm done looking around and went back to the sliding door and it's locked!!! I was like oh shit!!!! there's no way to get back in the house!! I'm 3rd floor above ground!! There's no way for me to call someone because I left my cell phone inside the house, there's no way for me to shout for help!! So, I decided to figure out a way to get down to the 2nd floor...but it's very very risky. I can climbed over the railing but I need to figure out a way to lower myself as close as possible to the second floor railing. So, I figure that raising my hands up, the distance between my feet to the tip of my hands is about 8 feet. I look at it and there's no way for my feet to reach close enough to the second floor railing. I only need about 2 feet more. So, I came up with an idea of using my belt and wrapped around one of the post and let it hanged over to the side, that will give me 1.5 feet lower. Then here I goes, I climbed over and put my hands wrapped around the post where the belt located and climbed down slowly and managed to grabbed my belt to climbed down lower and I have about a foot between my feet and the second floor railing. I let go my belt and manage to land on the railing and jerked forward toward the second floor deck. MADE IT!!! If I lose my balance and fall the wrong way, I'll be dead on the ground. I would never thought of me locking myself out on 3rd floor. Then I start thinking about putting spare key up there!!!
I'm glad you survived! :lol:

That is the same way I got locked out, only my slider was on a first floor deck. (That's why I used the doggy door to get back in.)

Since then, we removed the slider lock, which was notorious for falling into the locking position by itself. We now use a security bar on the inside of the slider instead.

Another reason that I prefer the coded locks instead of key locks.

i need to get that, gets WET here often
I forgot the brand, looks like a standard key lock outside ( you can still use a key) but its bulky inside as it holds like 4 or 6 AA batteries. but nice looking overall. I will see if I can find it next time Im digging in the garage.

Put a key in a plastic baggie and hide it under dog poop, guaranteed no one will look there...lol

I'm glad you survived! :lol:

That is the same way I got locked out, only my slider was on a first floor deck. (That's why I used the doggy door to get back in.)

Since then, we removed the slider lock, which was notorious for falling into the locking position by itself. We now use a security bar on the inside of the slider instead.

Another reason that I prefer the coded locks instead of key locks.

Yeah, my wife was freak'in mad at me after I told her what happen. She was so furious!! But I told her that I'm not going to sit around for the next 25 hours until she get home from her visit out of town. When I got stuck outside, there's goes my dog staring at me, calmly and panting, other side of the sliding door, I was like I wish he know how to open it....but it's impossible for him to open it. I just decided to go for my risk with my careful calculation and balance and my Karate experience...mmmm.. do or die... I'll go for it.

Where do you have these stuff? In front of your door? Are you sure no cameras are in back of you recording your code. I would rather hit combination where there is no way any peeping eyes in my back watching it.

And yes I locked myself out of my house. Not going to advertise how I got back in.

We don't bother with house keys. We use coded door locks. So does my daughter's family. She got tired of the kids forgetting or losing their keys, and didn't feel it was safe to leave one outside.

Where do you have these stuff? In front of your door? Are you sure no cameras are in back of you recording your code. I would rather hit combination where there is no way any peeping eyes in my back watching it.

And yes I locked myself out of my house. Not going to advertise how I got back in.
Our front door, which we rarely enter, has a standard key lock. Our coded lock, which we use every day, is on the door between our kitchen and attached garage (that would be a side door if there was no garage). Since it is inside the garage, no one can see it when we use it.

The garage door is opened by either a remote opener in the vehicles, or by a manual key pad that is mounted (and covered) on the outside. It faces away from the street.

No, there are no cameras aimed at my door.

We no longer have our doggy door because we no longer have our doggies.

I had to crawl thru the doggy door once. My Labs were on the other side and wanted to get their faces into mine while I entered their "space." Never again! :lol:
You could have backed through, but I don't think that would have helped. :giggle:

In my cul-de-sac, two of my neighbors have copies of my keys, and we have copies of theirs. Nice to have trusting neighbors to help us out when needed.

I've never given any of my neighbors my house key...and would not accept theirs either...only in case of an emergency when I needed them to go into my home (or no one else (family) was not there...then I would tell them (the neighbor) where the spare key was hidden...but only after I would try to call "the family" first....It hasn't happened yet tho'....

It can cause a lot of heartache if something was missing..and of course, blame the neithbor for taking it....

Several of my friend have key safes. I think that is a good investment. I don't lock my doors unless I am home.

I've never given any of my neighbors my house key...and would not accept theirs either...only in case of an emergency when I needed them to go into my home (or no one else (family) was not there...then I would tell them (the neighbor) where the spare key was hidden...but only after I would try to call "the family" first....It hasn't happened yet tho'....

It can cause a lot of heartache if something was missing..and of course, blame the neithbor for taking it....

True. These two neighbors are the only ones we trust enough. Besides, if they came in and took all our stuff, I would be very thankful. (Wife is a packrat).

We usually take care of each other's dogs when we leave town.

True. These two neighbors are the only ones we trust enough. Besides, if they came in and took all our stuff, I would be very thankful. (Wife is a packrat).

We usually take care of each other's dogs when we leave town.

But what would you do if they took your MatchBox collection (or was it Hot Wheels?)? :eek3:

But what would you do if they took your MatchBox collection (or was it Hot Wheels?)? :eek3:

LOL....I probably would not notice anything missing for a long time.

One of them is a desperate housewife, and she has the hots for me, so I can exact revenge on her by leading her on & teasing her for hours, then stopping when she least expects it......that should set her straight.....:naughty:

Our next door neighbors had our house key, and we had their key plus their security code. We never had any problems during those 20+ years.

Our neighbor on the other side is a sheriff's deputy. No problems there either.

It is always nice when we can trust our neighbors. One of our neighbors down the street had our keycode for a long time. We've since changed the code (not because of them at all, but for other reasons) so they no longer have the current code, but we'd probably give it to them again if need be. A bunch of us also tell each other when we'll each be out of town as so to keep an eye on the house and strange cars in driveways when there shouldn't be any, bring up the garbage containers, etc.

Our next door neighbors had our house key, and we had their key plus their security code. We never had any problems during those 20+ years.

Our neighbor on the other side is a sheriff's deputy. No problems there either.

I remember when I lived in the last house before the one I own now, there were 5 different homes occupied by police officers/sheriffs all within a 2 block radius of my home. Made the neighborhood feel safe. :)

Back