Hi :)

chillinndylann

Reaction score
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dylan, 19, hearing, and going to college to be an interpreter. I originally started college without knowing what I wanted to do, then I took an asl class for fun and i fell in love! It has come so naturally to me, even though I don't know any deaf/hoh people besides my asl teachers. I have been to one deaf event and was scared to test out my signing skills because i didnt want to look like a fool, so i only chatted with one person. After lurking and reading the forums religiously, I now realize that its struggle for deaf people just to communicate with hearing people everyday, why cant I build up enough courage to talk to a deaf/hoh person... anyways thanks for inspiring! i love the deaf/hoh community!:wave::dance2:

Hi and welcome.
I think it's great that you're inspired at a young age. :)
That's the key to being around Deaf/HoH and deaf, from my learning experience, is being secure and comfortable enough with ASL, fingerspelling, gesturing...etc.
If you know of socials out there, I suggest going to them as much as possible. This way the regulars will get familiar with you and most of the time (from my area, I know) the people are very welcoming and patient.

So relax!
:wave:

Heya, welcome. I think you came to a good place where you can learn more about deaf people/culture and meet more deaf people to talk with!

Just curious though, which college do you go to? I know of at least two colleges that have interpreting majors.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Just have fun browsing around the forum while you read and post all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I go to Mt. Sac, it's in California. :) I should be going to a lot of events coming up! lucky for me southern california has a large deaf community! Talk to you guys soon!

Back