Hi

RabidLamn

Reaction score
First of all... My user name was a result of typo... Dumb I know... :lol:
It is suppose to say RabidLamb, but don't feel like go through the hassle of registering everything all over.

About me... I am a former kickboxer and mixed martial arts fighter.
I live in northern Calif and loving it!
I am a adrenaline rush addict and have no intention of changing that.
There's nothing I love more than going to coffee shop and spend a hour or two reading books and having a coffee.

I am deaf and have been in numerous positions. I've been in school for deaf, attend Gallaudet for a semester (Hated it with passion), but I mainstream most of my life and am incredibly grateful I was lucky enough to mainstream my whole life.

Where I live... I don't know of any deaf person and pretty much want it to stay that way.
However I do have a couple deaf friends I'm good friend with and still stay in touch with.

I don't considers myself "Deaf" I consider myself just as someone who can't hear and roll my eyes at those deaf people who are "DEAF POWER" type.

Go ahead and call me a asshole if you want to. It won't be the first time someone call me that :lol:

Hello. What brings you here to this bastion of Deaf Power types?

What bring me here?
Good question... I was trying to find a friend on Purple3 (I am new to the whole thing) but somehow I ended up on this forum. I was confused by everything at first, but I decided to try check out some chat room and see if I can find something like directory or something.
I notice that there are some good topic with interesting discussion going on and there are some deaf people who seems to have same stance as me on the whole deaf community thing. So I thought I'd check around and see how it is here.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Why did you not like Gallaudet University? What is wrong with it? Can you explain to us?

For me, I am very happy to be deaf, but I don't like oral-only programs in both elementary and high school (not allowed to have ASL interpreters, open captioned or close captioned for teaching films and notetakers). That is why I need ASL interpreters to understand what the teachers and hearing students are talking about subjects in classrooms. I struggled trying to comprehend but I tried to studied by books and the books do not help much trying to understand what is being said in classes. :roll:

Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Well in Gallaudet University, lot of people are from school for deaf. So there's a lot of prejudge toward hearing world, deaf people who doesn't have deaf family or aren't from school for deaf, etc...
Also the atmosphere was too much like high school.

I don't like oral only program at all either. I cannot even really read lips and am fully deaf, so I couldn't even talk with voice either. I am very grateful for all subtitles, caption closed, relay, and interpreter program as well!

In fact deaf person who are oral is one of my BIGGEST pet peeve!!! All I've met try so hard to act like hearing person but yet when they listen and receive the message or speak, it is mostly based on guess work. I feel like those that refuse to admit their deafness and have too much to use paper and pen are those who are still in denial. It is much much easier to just write and read than spend 10 minutes trying to guess what others are saying then trying to pronounce something properly.

Well in Gallaudet University, lot of people are from school for deaf. So there's a lot of prejudge toward hearing world, deaf people who doesn't have deaf family or aren't from school for deaf, etc...

I don't like oral only program at all either. I cannot even really read lips and am fully deaf, so I couldn't even talk with voice either. I am very grateful for all subtitles, caption closed, relay, and interpreter program as well!

In fact deaf person who are oral is one of my BIGGEST pet peeve!!! All I've met try so hard to act like hearing person but yet when they listen and receive the message or speak, it is mostly based on guess work. I feel like those that refuse to admit their deafness and have too much to use paper and pen are those who are still in denial. It is much much easier to just write and read than spend 10 minutes trying to guess what others are saying then trying to pronounce something properly.

:gpost: :gpost: I agree with you on the bold statement. :wave:

LOL! I have one friend who claim he's flawless at talking and reading lips. However one time we went to a restaurant and he spent good five minutes try to tell the waitress what he wants. Guess what? The waitress cannot understand him and end up got wrong order! Then he have the guts to complain about it!

On the other hand, sounds like you'll fit in well here....we do have a ton of Deaf people....and yeah there's dumbassed drama and being "deafer then thou" at Gally, but I think that's not exculsive to Deaf culture. ...you get the same thing in a lot of cultures. But there are tons of Dhh folks from the entire spectrum....not all of us are "deafer then thou" types. Too bad you didn't try NTID...that's supposed to be better.

On the other hand, sounds like you'll fit in well here....we do have a ton of Deaf people....and yeah there's dumbassed drama and being "deafer then thou" at Gally, but I think that's not exculsive to Deaf culture. ...you get the same thing in a lot of cultures. But there are tons of Dhh folks from the entire spectrum....not all of us are "deafer then thou" types. Too bad you didn't try NTID...that's supposed to be better.

Princess, yeah this forum seems to have a lot of really down to earth deaf/HoH people which is really nice! I have always thought they were impossible to find, but I guess not.
As for getting the same thing in a lot of cultures well... I've been around many type of people and in my opinion... Deaf culture are one of the most discriminating culture out there no offend to anyone.
One of my best friend attended NTID for a year and he says it was better than Gallaudet but it still have strong presence of "Deafer than thou" mentality set. Plus many of deaf people who attend NTID that I've met seems to have pretty much no hearing friends from there.

Hi! I'm one of those pet peeve oral only deafies (well, used to be). I only found the Deaf community via AllDeaf, 19 months ago. You see, I grew up indoctrinated by hearing professionals and teachers that it was shameful to be deaf. They even labeled me HoH and said if I slapped some HAs on, I would fit right in to the mainstream school (oral only). There was no mention of sign language, deaf school, or deaf community. I resent that now because of how much I missed out on with just being me as I am. Don't be too hard on the oral-only deafies unless they specifically say it is a deliberate choice. BTW, I am learning sign language (Auslan and ASL). I'm Australian.

See you around AD! :D

Beclak, howcome you never use paper and pen outside of school but choose to struggle with trying to talk to everybody orally? That's something I just don't get.
I mean I've went through a phrase for a couple months where I'd try to communicate via oral but after a while, I figured out it is just too big of a pain in the neck and too much guess work compare to writing note.

Beclak, howcome you never use paper and pen outside of school but choose to struggle with trying to talk to everybody orally? That's something I just don't get.
I mean I've went through a phrase for a couple months where I'd try to communicate via oral but after a while, I figured out it is just too big of a pain in the neck and too much guess work compare to writing note.

I was born severely-deaf, the only one deaf in my family. All my family is hearing. I am married to a hearing man, I have 7 children all hearing. I was never at any point in my whole life until 19 months ago, introduced or made aware of the Deaf Community, Deaf school or Sign Language. I was told by my audiologist told me (and my mother) I was HoH (not severely-deaf) and that I was a good lipreader and if I wore hearing aids I would do fine in mainstream schools. It was strictly oral only. I didn't even let people know I was deaf because it was so looked down on. I was teased and bullied (though not physically). It was an experiemental trend of the hearing, medical and educational professionals in those days. Even Deaf in Deaf schools went oral only from what I have been told. I wasn't given any other option than to 'act' like everyone else around me. Looking back now, I used visual cues more than I realised, always have. I learned to speak by reading books. I learned to read, by my mother reading to me and with me following the pictures, her mouth movements and the letters/words on the page. Yes, I did and do use pen and paper from time to time. As I said I am learning Sign Language now too. 19 months ago, was my 'wake-up call' I realised I was not only fooling everyone around me but I was also fooling myself. I am now not ashamed to say I am severely-deaf. It defines who I am. I can be me now.

Ah thanks for sharing that BecLak. Sorry you have to go through those experience. I'm sure it must be incredibly frustrating to always having a hard time to communication with others.
I'm glad you're not ashamed about being deaf now :)

Yes I know PSE (yes I know it is basically ASL in English order, but I don't give a damn)

I can understand why you dislike gally with your passion. Apparently you must be a very sensitve person. I know what you mean about the deaf power type. But you know what you can ignore the certain people and there are other people who are in the similar group as you do. Well, I love gally. In fact, I don't have any deaf family, I used to sign PSE, now mixed with PSE and ASL and am not that kind of the deaf power person. But I know lot of people who are the same group as I do.
Since you mentioned that you dislike the oral program. That's too bad that you can be the right person to display how different you are that reflects gally's point of views. Try not to let any the deaf power type walking over you.

btw welcome.

LOL! I was a part of group that share same feeling as me about "deaf power" type and... we all ended up got kicked out.

Yeah I know not everyone is that way, but in the long run, what will remain there? That's right! Mostly those people who are prejudge toward hearing world.

I guess I am sensitive, but... I basically look at myself as just someone who can't hear. So a insult to hearing world is basically like as a insult to me. So it was a rather hostile environment for me. No point in stay there and hope to find right crowd, it would be like as scavenging through trash can for five star dinner.

And nope I never let them walk all over me. I was a well known prankster lol

deaf power is shit, babyish and naive, so got no problems with you here...and welcome

Back