hi

IC fan

Reaction score
hey everyone! I just found this site today, so I thought I would see what goes on here!

A little bit about myself: I am 27 years old, living in Iowa. When I was 22, my family was noticing I was not hearing things from across the room, so I went to get tested, finding out I had a severe hearing loss in both ears. I did a lot of test..with the doctors really not having a clue why my hearing was going away...long story short, they gave me hearing aids, which help me with high pitched sounds. I now lip read for all my conversations...which I just taught myself the past few years. I am NOT at all comfortable with my hearing loss...often getting out of situations with friends if places will be loud. I feel like I have become extremely quiet and not really myself anymore since this has happened.
I want to go back to school...but again, I don't even know what jobs I could have. I have thought about going into the ASL classes..any suggestions would help me out a lot. I just wanted to come on this site to see how everyone does things!

Hey I am in a similar situation as you... I mean having severe hearing loss.. I am very quiet in the hearing world, often times people might be talking to me and I'm not responsive because I am unsure if they are talking to me or what they just said.. I know exactly how you feel, especially having a hearing loss and I work in a field where Communication is almost a requirement.. I too am 27 years old, having started learning ASL almost 2 yrs now. I understand exactly your predictament, I graduated college and recently lost a job due to my hearing.. Its tough out there..

icfan, and Bgmay, i am in similar situation but, with a difference i am born deaf, and was brought up in a firm oral way, life wasnt' easy, and there has been alot of denial from my family. but for a long time till a couple of years ago when the tinnitus came back in a big way due to stress. I am now forever ruled but it, its harrowing, I dont feel comfortable with them anymore, as does with hearing freinds. it's really hard. I am now 39 (older but i actually feel 29, long story but the past is like another life I had) i am in university and frankly i havent got a clue what id be doing as well as had terrible work records, nto so much laziness, never was lazy, more to do with hearing people's intolerance and discrimination they are sneaky bastards always seem to 'wait for me to make a botch then they have an excuse to dismiss me'. Partly this is the reason, Im in uni, I am fed up with weak discrimination laws and process of complaint, it is pathetic. So I know the pain but i vow not to back off, and im not going to let the bigshot Deafs tell me what to do either. In a way they are bunch of hypocrites llike blind people they pretend they can see or rather have a cultural mentality that they are. Its weird and real sad, because as long we stay in denial, nothing will change for the better.
I know this bit as you said ". I feel like I have become extremely quiet and not really myself anymore since this has happened. " I am exactly the same too!, and its indescribable at time, I cant offer advices for that as I'm lost in the void too, but all I can say is dont let this numbness make you like a creature with no interestm, you have to remind yourself you do have interests, and make some efforts to keepiing doing things you enjoy, or modify it, even pick up something else that you longed to do but hasnt got around to it. I want to start running, so I plan to pick up on it as soon i finish the exams in 2 weeks. With this in mind, i still have a purpose, a reason that i am still human, not a cut-off from the world. We d/Deaf people are creatures of resilience, and learn to laugh more too
Cheers
and forgot to say, welcome to the club, as in AD

Back