Hi!!!!!!!!!!

juliae

Reaction score
HI!!! OK now that I am done "yelling" ~

My name's Julia and I'm HOH. Even though my hearing (or lack of) affected my speech and communication I was raised without hearing aids and taught to completely deny the fact that I had any hearing loss at all.

I went for years relying on lipreading/speechreading and guessing, and every time I'd bring up the fact that I couldn't hear something my parents would ignore it. They taught me that being HOH was something to be ashamed of, to hide, to ignore. When I became aware of the fact that others who were hoh wore hearing aids and I couldn't, my father once told me that my hearing was just fine, it was my attitude that needed work; "you can hear things I can't," he told me, "so your hearing is just fine."

Imagine my parents' surpise when I went on my own and had my hearing tested, verifying my hearing loss, and their second surpirse when I discovered sign! I loved it and am now addicted to it (grin). I'm now also getting hearing aids (in my 20s) for the first time in my life and learning about the unique culture of Deaf and HOH people.

I can't undo the past but I can sure do something about the future! Glad to have found this site!!

:wave: :welcome: Hello and Welcome to Alldeaf Juliae!!! It's great to have you here on Alldeaf, and I hope you will enjoy your stay!!!

:applause: to you for taking that giant step to get your hearing tested and finding out you were right all along. Also, taking the necessary measures to get equipped with hearing aids, and learning ASL for your own benefit so you can talk to others without asking them over and over again what they had said. You did wonderful for yourself, and your parent's should be very proud that you took the right step on your own and used good judgement!!! Best of luck. Have fun posting on Alldeaf.

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf juliae! Glad to have you onboard and it must be a great accomplishment and acheivement to go forward by getting fitted with hearing-aids and learning sign-language as well as being personally satisfying and rewarding as you expand your boundaries and not limiting yourself to the kind of world your parents brought you up in (no pun intended or animosity towards your parents)....anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in Alldeaf!! ;)

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us. :thumb:

I can't undo the past but I can sure do something about the future! Glad to have found this site!!

Love your attitude! Welcome to AD. Enjoy yourself and watch out for the crazy ones. There's just one or two. :D

Hey welcome and enjoy conversation with ADers member! Wink

I hope you really likes it and I am sure you will like it very much too. See you there. :lol:

juliae said:
HI!!! OK now that I am done "yelling" ~

My name's Julia and I'm HOH. Even though my hearing (or lack of) affected my speech and communication I was raised without hearing aids and taught to completely deny the fact that I had any hearing loss at all.

I went for years relying on lipreading/speechreading and guessing, and every time I'd bring up the fact that I couldn't hear something my parents would ignore it. They taught me that being HOH was something to be ashamed of, to hide, to ignore. When I became aware of the fact that others who were hoh wore hearing aids and I couldn't, my father once told me that my hearing was just fine, it was my attitude that needed work; "you can hear things I can't," he told me, "so your hearing is just fine."

Imagine my parents' surpise when I went on my own and had my hearing tested, verifying my hearing loss, and their second surpirse when I discovered sign! I loved it and am now addicted to it (grin). I'm now also getting hearing aids (in my 20s) for the first time in my life and learning about the unique culture of Deaf and HOH people.

Wecloming BIG SMILE

Welcome! ANd there are a lot of people here who were raised orally and who are hoh....seems to be a surge of interest in ASL and Deaf culture among young adults.....

Back