Hi

Pvt. Parts

Reaction score
Just saying hi! :bye:

My name is Dave, I'm 24 y/o, I was born profoundly deaf in both ears, wear HAs, I'm completely oral (still slip up with hard "S"), endured speech therapy ages 3-14, was mainstreamed in school K-12, graduated with a Bachelor's in Communication from Michigan State University (2003), and I'm going back to college in the fall to start working towards a degree in Nursing.

Which brings me to...

I need new HAs, so I came here looking for info. on different models and how to mitigate the cost of purchasing. Apparently insurance will pay for cataract surgery at $5k per eye and will pay for pacemaker implantation but won't pay for HAs? :wtf: That's whack!

I saw the forums and thought "why not, I've used similar forums for my main hobby."

This is actually my first foray into the deaf community as all of my friends have normal hearing.

If anybody has any questions whatsoever, post here or PM me!

Here is a picture of me being goofy in Honolulu, Hawaii:

Attachments

• Grass.jpg
    Grass.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 30
Welcome to AD, Dave!!!
Good thing that you came to right place... Don't be scared to post anything that are in your opinion....

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf Dave!

Pvt. Parts said:
...Apparently insurance will pay for cataract surgery at $5k per eye and will pay for pacemaker implantation but won't pay for HAs?...

That's been the case widespread, although, it seems to me that more and more insurance companies are beginning to put hearing-aids under a plan. Years ago, having dental, eye-glasses and whatnot all being included in a package plan, but leaving out any consideration for covering expenses associated with a HA....logically there isn't (or wasn't as the case may be) a majority in a work place as compared to those who wears glasses, etc. Yet, I'm sure more and more situations in the workplace nowadays warrant the implementation of HAs' under an insurance plan. One option might be worth a try and that is requesting an Insurance Provider to consider adding coverage for HAs.

Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD!! ;)

~Mahalo!

9.gif

Welcome! There are people from all spectrums of loss who post here....and who knows....maybe we'll recruit you and have you Signing....lol!
Apparently insurance will pay for cataract surgery at $5k per eye and will pay for pacemaker implantation but won't pay for HAs?
Well don't you find it incredibily ironic that some of the pro-oral advocates insist til they are blue in the face, that there's freedom in listening and talking, but yet that freedom causes extremely high health care costs? Sometimes I think the only reason why oral-only is pushed so much, is to ensure hearing aid companies, speech therapists and oral schools continued employement......

racheleggert said:
Welcome to AD, Dave!!!
Good thing that you came to right place... Don't be scared to post anything that are in your opinion....

I assure you I'm not shy about putting my opinion out there.

deafdyke said:
Well don't you find it incredibily ironic that some of the pro-oral advocates insist til they are blue in the face, that there's freedom in listening and talking, but yet that freedom causes extremely high health care costs? Sometimes I think the only reason why oral-only is pushed so much, is to ensure hearing aid companies, speech therapists and oral schools continued employement......

Yikes. It seems like you think there's some sort of widespread health care conspiracy?

Welcome to AD and interesting handlename! "At ease, Pvt. Parts!"

/unsure about the army handlename or the youknowwhat! LOL!

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us :thumb:

No I don't think there's a health care conspiracy.....but it's a fact that if u train a kid to function only with amplification, they will not be able to function without amplication....which means that they are a source for health care dollars....Yeah , I know we get some access to the hearing world but .....I dunno...I'm just a cynical old broad...would hearing aid companies and other industries that depend on kids speaking get as much money if kids could function without hearing aids or CIs? I doubt it....that's why AG Bell has that glossy full color magazine Volta Voices, and ASDC only has a newsletter.

deafdyke said:
No I don't think there's a health care conspiracy.....but it's a fact that if u train a kid to function only with amplification, they will not be able to function without amplication.

You may be right about that.

Personally, I've never wanted to try functioning without amplification. I've done so well and come so far that trying to function without amplification would lower my quality of life immensely.

...which means that they are a source for health care dollars....Yeah , I know we get some access to the hearing world but .....I dunno...I'm just a cynical old broad...would hearing aid companies and other industries that depend on kids speaking get as much money if kids could function without hearing aids or CIs? I doubt it....that's why AG Bell has that glossy full color magazine Volta Voices, and ASDC only has a newsletter.

I doubt it too. Health care is a racket, and a necessary one since most people want to live longer or enjoy a higher quality of life.

To be honest, until I came to this site I wrongly assumed that oralism was the ideal for deaf/hoh people. After stopping by here I now realize that there are plenty of people who don't want to be oral, for whatever reason.

It certainly has been an eye-opener after spending much of my holiday weekend reading the posts on AD.com... I've gone through a range of emotions while reading; sadness, anger, shock, empathy, frustration, and most of all, a greater appreciation for how fortunate I have been.

Your post is intriguing!

Personally, I've never wanted to try functioning without amplification. I've done so well and come so far that trying to function without amplification would lower my quality of life immensely.

You just echoed my sentiments because I cannot go without my HAs as well, I need it to listen to music. I compare that to prosthestics for those who have lost a limb. To try to function without a prosthestic, a person will have difficulty trying to function without the missing limb.

It certainly has been an eye-opener after spending much of my holiday weekend reading the posts on AD.com... I've gone through a range of emotions while reading; sadness, anger, shock, empathy, frustration, and most of all, a greater appreciation for how fortunate I have been.

Those emotions are important to you eh? Hang on to those because they are what makes you human. Appreciate the feelings because hang around here longer and you will want to stand up for your identity further on down the road.

Diversity is wonderful, isn't it!

Hello Dave,

Welcome to ALLDeaf and enjoy your stay here ;)

Back