Hi

tcastanos

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a question?

I grew up with basic ASL due my sister being Deaf and now I am going on my third year being more involved with ASL, but I still can not seem to understand an ASL conversation. What am I doing wrong?

Hello and Welcome! I struggle with tactile BSL. But I can understand basic sign language. I guess It's just a matter of persevering until you get it right. Going to a deaf club might help.

I go to Deaf events every time I can, but I am still not able to find a Deaf club in my area. I will start searching, thank you.

Welcome to AD! I have been profoundly deaf for 50yrs. As @vegandreamer said, I can understand basic sign language, but not the high speed ASL. It's not for everyone. Just ask them to slow down and good luck.

Thank you for your suggestion, I just get really frustrated that I am still not able to understand. I feel that I am the fault. Thank you again.

Nothing wrong with asking that person what that sign is, or what do you mean? I do it all the time. If they dont like it, tough cookies. But, really, we mostly dont mind repeating or explaining.

There is nothing wrong with asking, my frustration comes from being in an ASL program for two years and still not being able to understand a conversation in ASL. I guess I need friends to enforce what I have been learning. Friends I can video chat or meet up with .

Back