Hi

Fran49829

Reaction score
I have just pretty much just lost my hearing. I can hear people talking pretty good but I can not understand what they are saying unless they get within 3 feet and talk very loud. I will see a hearing doctor and audiologist next week and am hoping that a hearing aid will enable me to understand speech.

With God's help I am dealing with it pretty good but at times it can be very hard.

Today I am trying to find out which CC decoder to buy for my tv as it does not have one. I am also trying to find out if i can use the vcr to record shows with CC. Also if the CC decoder can be set up before the vcr.

Fran

Hello Fran :)

Welcome to AD forum!

I am sorry to hear about your hearing loss. I can imagine that it must be difficult and confusing for you. Hope that you will find answers you seek here on AD :)

As for getting a decoder, nowadays, most people dont buy decoders alone as all TVs (bigger than 13 inch) made after 1993 are with CC chip in it. I can't help you with that one as I no longer use decoders.

Best of luck :)

Thanks everyone,

I bought a 27" Sanyo at Walmart for $228 which turned out to be pretty good. Hooked the thing up to my complex system just like the old tv and began to play with it.

I found that any medium I have that was CC, like a tv show recorded on a vcr or a DVD movie, anything that had CC encrypted on it I could decode it with the new tv. This means that when you record a CC tv show on your vcr the CC encription is in the tape even though you cannot see it until you activate the CC in your tv. So you can have your vcr hooked up before the tv and it doesn't matter, there is nothing you need to do to get CC on the recording, it is there even if your CC is turned off on your tv (of course to see it you must turn your tv CC on). ;)

Fran

Fran,
Welcome to AD. I certainly hope you enjoy your stay! Its a great group of folks here and you will find people that share your same experience with hearing loss.

Hi Fran,

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here! ;)

Back