Hi!

HearingandStudying

Reaction score
:wave: Hi, my name is Danielle. I'm a student at Wichita State University and I'm studying Psychology. Social science degree requirements include ASL 1,2, and 3, Deaf Culture, and Non-Verbal Communication. So far I've taken ASL 1 and 2 and I'm currently completing Deaf Culture.

I'm hoping my membership here allows me to better understand ASL and deaf culture and I'd love to make some new friends and maybe practice signing. I'm okay with being laughed at:laugh2: Thanks for taking the time to read this!

P.S. I already read the sticky post at the top and I understand how annoying people joining for the purpose of getting a survey filled out. I do have an interview to do for a paper, but I'm not interested in only interviewing someone.

Thanks! How much experience with signing do you have? I feel like even though I've taken ASL 1 and 2, I have so, so much to learn yet!

Thanks! How much experience with signing do you have? I feel like even though I've taken ASL 1 and 2, I have so, so much to learn yet!

I've been signing for a long time but it was on and off, only when I hung out with friends who were deaf. But now being HOH I've been buckling down and working harder to perfect my signing

So, you used to hang out with deaf friends and coincidentally you're now HOH?! Thats interesting! You must've been preparing all along without even knowing!

Maybe this is a dumb thought, but I realize I too may have hearing loss when I'm elderly or for other reasons someday and I like the idea that I'll know ASL.

Hello again, HearngandStudying,

I became aware of the Deaf community in my area and learned a tiny amount of ASL through there. I was in college at that time. Then I ended up taking a sign language class in college taught by a hearing man <not good>.

I started losing my hearing that I was aware of in my late 30's. Am now early 40's.
I was born very premature and doc.'s told my mom I was missing inner ear bones. Don't know to what degree that specific statement was ever investigated, nor to what degree it may have affected me.
Raised Hearing, had speech and language problems and was in Special Ed. as a child.

Met hub in college who is hard of hearing/deaf <not Deaf, no sign>

so I think it's good to investigate for if you end up with hearing loss/late deaf.

I've used some small amount of ASL that I know, in my community variously.
I think it's important to know.
Hub and I use a little at home but mostly home signs. I identify as hoh

But there is a problem with so many d/Deaf people denied ASL or sign languages, while hearing people think it's fun or cute or useful to use with hearing kids but dis-allow with deaf kids.

I know I used some specific phrases you may not know. If you're serious about considering ASL you will look them up by searching around here.
:)

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome to AllDeaf! :D

It is a pleasure to meet you and have you be apart of this wonderful community! :P

Cheers!

- MEGA!

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mega and Authentic. I'm pretty excited to be here!

dogmom, thanks for sharing so much with me.

Then I ended up taking a sign language class in college taught by a hearing man <not good>

Can you tell me a little more why you feel it's bad for a hearing instructor to teach signing? (My instructor for ASL is deaf and does a wonderful job!)

I personally think its a shame to deny or disallow anyone sign language. Obviously you didn't belong in special ed.

Since you were pushed toward the oral/speech path, do you feel resentful today about it? Do you wish you'd been taught sign from an earlier age?

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mega and Authentic. I'm pretty excited to be here!

dogmom, thanks for sharing so much with me.

Can you tell me a little more why you feel it's bad for a hearing instructor to teach signing? (My instructor for ASL is deaf and does a wonderful job!)

I personally think its a shame to deny or disallow anyone sign language. Obviously you didn't belong in special ed.

Since you were pushed toward the oral/speech path, do you feel resentful today about it? Do you wish you'd been taught sign from an earlier age?

Just curious why you say dogmom didn't belong in Special Ed?

Do you think it means someone is stupid?

I know dogmom has language and math difficulty, and that is exactly what special Ed is for.

You can be highly intelligent and still need special help.

And lots of us here did spend time in special Ed.

:wave:Botti :ty:

------------------------

yes Bottesini is right, many very intelligent people who were in Special Ed can use extra help with some things. And that is fine

and also, HearingandStudying, many people who were put in Special Ed. should-not- have been there, they may have been put there for many reasons which were not appropriate and some students who were deaf were or are put there but it's not an inclusive or ASL-rich environment for them. "Special Ed" is a mainstream phenomenon and mainstreaming can be very isolating.

For me, I was in Special Ed for speech and language problem. i spoke very late and have a noticeable speech difference to many people. I have math and other learning disabilities that were not diagnosed til college, when I kept failing remedial college math. I had extra math help in the Resource Room as a child but "learning disabilities" as a classification were not part of my IEP.

I honestly don't know if I had hearing loss as a baby or child. I have auditory processing issues that are aside from my being hoh of now and that I've probably always had, but in the 70's people didn't know about brain-based auditory processing problems.

I do wish I would have been given access to sign or ASL as a child because it would have eliminated a ton of frustration on everyone's part. Speech still doesn't come as easily to me and I tend to think in pictures. Even if I hear <physically, with my ears> my brain often doesn't process the info. efficiently or at all. I do not learn well only by auditory.

BUT there is more than frustration involved when a deaf baby is denied sign.

Just curious why you say dogmom didn't belong in Special Ed?

Do you think it means someone is stupid?

Thank you for pointing that out, Bottesini….I most definitely don't think someone being in Special Ed implies they are stupid.

Growing up in Wichita, my experience with Special Ed probably shaped my opinion negatively. Special Ed seemed to mainstream everyone who had any kind of particular need whether it be autism, cerebral palsy, deafness, or any other type. Sure, maybe they had an IEP but they were at an extreme academic disadvantage because they were all mixed in together and with limited resources to address their particular needs. The stigma on our Special Ed here always seemed like it was the "thrown away" students collected in one single room. I feel angry just thinking about it.

Dogmom, Thank you for the link! Heading over to check this out now. I really appreciate your patience with me. Your willingness to share is teaching me more than I've learned in class thus far!

Do you know where I might find more information on auditory processing?

Hey, HearingandStudying,

when I was in Special Ed., it was as you describe. I didn't mind so much the idea of being away from the other kids, because I was attacked physically and verbally badly and often either wasn't let into other kids' playground games - or, I didn't understand the process or physical/spatial/mobility-related things in the game and messed up and was a target anyway. As a child and even into adolescence I was socially awkward/behind, cried easily and had a hard time putting things into words when I was upset. So - the part about being in a different setting temporarily, wasn't so difficult itself <though I had mixed feelings about speech therapy> but the "comings and goings" part was bad because Special Ed. was a separate building, with its own teachers, own lunch, buses, playground, doorways, etc. It even -smelled- different. Kids in there drooled and wore helmets. Some "mysterious person" <from a kid's perspective> would come each day to get me and take me down to that section. One time the speech path. suggested I try to come down by myself and said I should watch the clock and when the time came, just to leave the classroom . I was ashamed and embarrassed to admit I had no concept of anything on that old-style classroom clock. I didn't learn to use a clock with hands til high school and I still have problemsd with them. I have never worn a watch.
So the speech lady came to get me on the day I was supposed to go myself and asked me - why didn't you come down? I was waiting and waiting-
I said that I couldn't read the clock. Nothing more was investigated. I was probably about 10.

Other kids weren't supposed to be in that section at all. So it was the "weird" place <worse word but won't use it> and therefore I was - that word- and others like it, for going there.

I was also in a spontaneously-arranged "special ed" of sorts in 7th or 8th grade gym. Those years-middle school, here - were the worst of my school years because the attacks were worse and I needed glasses but put off telling my parents. I was scared all the time.
The gym teacher thought she was being kind by taking all the "misfits" who weren't performing <for a while I'd simply refused to play volleyball and sat and drew horses instead, because I didn't understand anything about the game and had physical issues with it. I just got in trouble for that> and sticking us into our own little group, in an adjacent, utility or storage type room off the gym. She would come and give us assignments and then check back in after she'd worked with the other kids.
This is again similar to what you're describing - closer actually, because it wasn't in any way official.

so far as CAPD or APD <Central Auditory Processing or Auditory Processing Disorder> here's a link for some info. on that: http://www.capdsupport.org/Diagnosis/what-is-capd.html

Back