Hi..

amazingblu

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Aj. I am hoh. I live in ohio and until recently never gave it much thought. Just a fact of life you know? 6 months ago I was blessed with a son. Now in my mid thirties I am attempting to go to college to someday provide a better life for my son than I ever had.
I was born hoh I believe or it could of been getting the measels when I was to young to remember. My mom is not very helpful on this. Either way I can barely hear and what I do is just noise not distinguishable words. As the oldest child to a struggling single parent there were not a lot of options for me when I was younger. Deaf culture was nonexistent in my area. I never learned ASL. I struggked in school because I could never hear my teachers and acted out as a result of the frustration. I did become fairly proficient at reading lips over the years.
Now that I am back in school there are a lot more options. I have a captionist with me in my classes which is ama zingy helpful. My advisor is recommending I learn ASL. I am slightly hesitant. I have always hear the deaf community can be hard on those who are hoh. It also seems that ASL has become popular around here for the hearing. I guess my fears are that I will find myself not fitting in or something. Anyway that's my story I just thought maybe I'd try to learn some more about deaf culture.

ASL is an AMAZING second language for HOH kids.......The myth that you have to fit into a certain spectrum to be "really deaf" is just that...a myth...There are a lot of HOH folks involved in the Deaf community...and most of them understand 100% that you didn't choose to not sign growing up....Many Deaf people grew up oral! You will fit in! The ONLY people who think that HOH people don't fit in with Deaf people are hearing people, who are fixtated on the hearing and forget about the HARD in the term hard of hearing.

Where in Ohio are you? I know a wonderful psychologist who is very familiar with HOH issues!

Where in Ohio are you? I know a wonderful psychologist who is very familiar with HOH issues!

I am in Delaware ohio. A northern suburb of columbus.

I am glad to hear that there is a place for hoh. I really would like to get involved with my deaf community. :)

:welcome:

Each Deaf community is different but the ones that I'm familiar with have been welcoming of anyone who identifies with them. That includes Deaf/deaf, HoH, CI users, oral deaf learning ASL, etc. As long as you approach the rest of the community with the right attitude, it seems to be reciprocated with positive acceptance.

By right attitude, I mean acknowledge that you are the newbie, you aren't' trying to show superiority or change anything, you're willing to accept critiquing of your ASL skills, you don't take bluntness personally, you treat everyone as individuals, and you have a sense of humor when you make gaffs.

Also, within each geographical area it's possible to have more than one monolithic "Deaf community." There can be subgroups that you might relate to better than some others. In our area, it's mostly an age division, which is natural.

Learning ASL is a win/win situation. You can never go wrong knowing another language but you can go wrong NOT learning one. That is, when you look back on your life, will you think, "I regret learning ASL" or "I regret NOT learning ASL."?

:welcome:

Each Deaf community is different but the ones that I'm familiar with have been welcoming of anyone who identifies with them. That includes Deaf/deaf, HoH, CI users, oral deaf learning ASL, etc. As long as you approach the rest of the community with the right attitude, it seems to be reciprocated with positive acceptance.

By right attitude, I mean acknowledge that you are the newbie, you aren't' trying to show superiority or change anything, you're willing to accept critiquing of your ASL skills, you don't take bluntness personally, you treat everyone as individuals, and you have a sense of humor when you make gaffs.

Also, within each geographical area it's possible to have more than one monolithic "Deaf community." There can be subgroups that you might relate to better than some others. In our area, it's mostly an age division, which is natural.

Learning ASL is a win/win situation. You can never go wrong knowing another language but you can go wrong NOT learning one. That is, when you look back on your life, will you think, "I regret learning ASL" or "I regret NOT learning ASL."?

That is a very good way to look at it. I want to be able to better communicate and I think ASL could be really beneficial in that aspect. I joined the ASL club at my school on facebook but they don't appear very active. I will continue to research my local area deaf communities. thank you for the welcomes also. :)

cooltext1879335321_zps0a259104.png

Where did you hear about Deafies giving HOH a hard time. Maybe it has to do with the attitude. If you are a real cool then Deafies would be cool with you, just like me. I do have lot of friends who are deaf oral or hoh whose learned ASL later.

welcome. :)

Where did you hear about Deafies giving HOH a hard time. Maybe it has to do with the attitude. If you are a real cool then Deafies would be cool with you, just like me. I do have lot of friends who are deaf oral or hoh whose learned ASL later.

welcome. :)

Oh wow that was in the 1980's that I was told that. I want to say it was the nurse at the school since she did would drive me to the audiologist in the city. Ever since I avoided deaf culture out of fear of getting treated badly. I know that seems like a long time ago but it kinda sticks with you.

Agreed 100% with Reba. I think oral/HOH got the reputation of not being accepted through a combonation of things.......1) hardcore seperatists. They do exist sadly. and 2) Some hardcore oralists do act very high and mighty about their oral skills or being "better educated" THAT is what turns a lot of Deaf people off....not the fact that they're orally skilled....but the high and mightiness about being oral or being "better educated" Certain people may come away from that as thinking that means that the Deaf community is anti HOH or anti oral skills....Most dhh kids do get a VERY hefty dose of speech and spoken language services. We're not all "voice off" seperatists.

I have now found out on the Deaf communities from different places where I am a member of New Mexico Association of the Deaf. Remember I came back from Canada in September of 2013 after my husband passed away.

I was surprised to learn that the d/Deafies probably and possibly Hard Of Hearing people who can sign ASL who were very rude to the Deaf communities. They were not blunt at all. They were just mean and ungrateful to the President and the council members. The President and his council were not happy about their altitude to them. It had never happen before years ago while I was member of NMAD. Everything was fine and polite and helpful when we need to voice for our deaf needs. But this year it was not good at all. It started about a year or maybe two years ago that everything went upside down. So that shocked me and I am ashamed of them for doing this. They look like they are trying to ruin NMAD.

So who knows that we have different Deaf communities who may not be able to accept HOH who can signed but look like they are trying to be superior over Deafies. That really puzzled me a lot.

4 of the council members wanted to resign from NMAD because of their rude and damaging attitude toward them. The four of them make the letters letting them know about their resignation. So we are going to have a special meeting this Saturday to discuss about what went wrong and find if we can nominate four of them.

I think we are all different when we have Deafies and HOH not thinking alike. That is sad. For the Hard Of Hearing, they should show respect our differences when we need to discuss our d/Deaf issues. :(

You know, the only real difference between a deaf kid and a HOH kid is that the HOH kid can learn to speak a little easier. Otherwise their experience is the SAME!

Welcome :wave:

I'm 36yr old that grew up HoH, with no support or deaf culture too. I'm single sided deaf from birth and have progresive loss in the other ear. I taught myself deaf culture awhile back and recently started going to local deaf events. I'm new to learning ASL via college noncredit courses, first class just ended, it's already changing my life! I recommend signing up. :)

Welcome :wave:

I'm 36yr old that grew up HoH, with no support or deaf culture too. I'm single sided deaf from birth and have progresive loss in the other ear. I taught myself deaf culture awhile back and recently started going to local deaf events. I'm new to learning ASL via college noncredit courses, first class just ended, it's already changing my life! I recommend signing up. :)

was it hard ? Did you know any asl going in? I registered for asl 1 class in the spring. any good books you can recommend?

I knew only some alphabet finger spelling, it's not as hard as I thought it would be but will get harder over the next few courses for sure. My instructor said it may get frustrating as with learnimg any new language, practice as much as you can everyday while taking the classes helps. As for books, your instructor will have certain books they require, it will be listed with your paperwork or told in the first day of class usually. The books are expensive, so you might inquire if there's a used textbook store around your area to help cut the cost. Good luck!

Back