Hi!!

Wicklessdixie

Reaction score
Hello! :wave:

I'm looking to make new friends in the Deaf community and learn more about Deaf culture! I am hearing, but have a hard of hearing child. He is deaf in his right ear. I am also a sign language interpretation major.

Lucky for you being ASL major! =P ( As far as your child being HoH, he's lucky to have that exposure is what I meant. ) Welcome! =P

Lucky for you being ASL major! =P ( As far as your child being HoH, he's lucky to have that exposure is what I meant. ) Welcome! =P

Thanks! I was told by the audiologist, "avoid using sign language until his speech develops, you don't want him to miss out on being oral if all of his hearing goes." It just shocked me in this day and age they still advise you not to teach them to communicate in a more effective way. So it inspired me to do better for my son and hopefully others if I can!

welcome to AD :D (I'm pretty much reversed with your kid since I'm deaf in my left only lol)

Thanks! I was told by the audiologist, "avoid using sign language until his speech develops, you don't want him to miss out on being oral if all of his hearing goes." It just shocked me in this day and age they still advise you not to teach them to communicate in a more effective way. So it inspired me to do better for my son and hopefully others if I can!

Screw that, I have a friend that had a baby recent-ish. Well she's now 9 months old. I started teaching her ASL signs when she was about 4 or 5 months old and she could tell you what she wanted. She could "speak" before she could use her voice and speak. Just basic stuff like more, milk, mom ect. But it helps them broaden their minds deaf or not! You'd be surprised at the advice audiologists give out... Mine keeps pushing the C.I. and actually told me I'd never stand a chance to be "normal" again without it. Um, screw you... mkay? I switched audiologists needless to say after that... You want to tell me I'm abnormal over something so superficial? No money for you!

My thoughts exactly! I have two girls with perfect hearing and we started basic signs with them as infants so why wouldn't I do it with my son just because he's hard of hearing. CI's are great for some but I don't know why they need to make people feel like they can't live without them.

I'm glad to hear that!! My friend who is Deaf was explaining to me that some "old school" audiologists still believe that speech is harder to get if they learn ASL prior to speaking because of the language difference. We actually just saw a second one yesterday that was happy we are teaching him already. =) Definitely showed me to never be afraid to ask for a second opinion! haha.

Back