Hi

tatinstro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Becki :)
I am a bilateral cochlear implant user, implanted back in 2008.
I joined alldeaf because I wanna meet new people and share stories - hopefully become real close friends with someone out there with cochlear implants too!

Hi there, we do have a CI user who I think is also from Manchester, but she doesn't check in here too often anymore.

I will let her know you are here. :P

Im bimodal, i use a hearing aid in my right and a CI in my left. Guessing you're 19 or under as you have bilateral implants as I couldnt get bilateral implants cos i was "too old for NICE"

I'm interested to hear how the bilateral implants are working out for you. How long have you had a hearing loss?

My daughter's audi told us a second implant wouldn't benefit her. It would give her increased access to sound but wouldn't improve clarity.

I know someone who has bilateral implants and he loves them. He was late deafened, though.

I'm interested to hear how the bilateral implants are working out for you. How long have you had a hearing loss?

My daughter's audi told us a second implant wouldn't benefit her. It would give her increased access to sound but wouldn't improve clarity.

I know someone who has bilateral implants and he loves them. He was late deafened, though.
I was late deafened too. I've had them for 5 years now!

I was hospitalised at the age of 16 for 3/4 months for what started from an injection. I had respiratory problems and went into a coma for a week after basically dying on the table for a few seconds. I was in ICU for sometime, plugged to a life support machine. My brain was inflamed and I had to learn how to walk again. As I was getting better and ready to leave the hospital, I lost my hearing. The cause of my hearing loss and any other problems I had are unknown. I stayed in hospital for a few more weeks having loads of tests for my ears but nothing came up. It was a huge risk getting my CI's as we were not sure if they were the problem. However I went through with it and had both implanted on the same day. I love my CI's :D and I can still do all the stuff that I love!

Glad to hear that your daughter's audi seems to be kinda conservative as to the benefits of bilateral implantation. I do think that bilateral implants should be an option, but again there's a lot of people who go bimodal.
I think they found that benefit of bilateral vs bimodal vs one CI is most likely very individual...........

Hi everyone,

My name is Becki :)
I am a bilateral cochlear implant user, implanted back in 2008.
I joined alldeaf because I wanna meet new people and share stories - hopefully become real close friends with someone out there with cochlear implants too!

Hi..are you willing to be friends with a deaf person who doesn't have cochlear implants? Just wondering.

It was a huge risk getting my CI's as we were not sure if they were the problem. However I went through with it and had both implanted on the same day. I love my CI's :D and I can still do all the stuff that I love!

Wow! Both in the same day. That takes some... guts! I give you credit. I would have been terrified and I don't know if I could have gotten two at the same time, especially not knowing if they would work or not.

Glad to hear that it's worked out so well for you!

Howdy Becki,

I am a bilateral cochlear implant user, implanted back in 2009 and 2011. (Advanced Bionics)

Welcome to Alldeaf.

Jeff

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Back