hi zoomipboom

dogmom

Reaction score
zoomzipboom,

:wave:! Thought I maybe should start new thread to write this to you, because I read your recent response to the "ahem" thread in other section and was like, wow, I have been in several groups where we discuss this kind of thing <not creating distance; no boundaries; Tolle and the like> so what you wrote was so familiar to me.
Am also in WI.

Also to let you know that you have to reach 50 posts to write messages in the AD (AllDeaf) inboxes in the upper corner. I am totally forgot not to response to you in my inbox as you are in the teen or almost close to 20 posts. We can only accept the Avatar request for friendship, I guess. I hope you can catch up to 50 posts so that you can write any time in the AD inbox. Just keep doing the writing in the posts here. Looking forward to hearing from you. :thumb:

hi dogmom, aw cute name. heehee. it makes me smile. i had a very sweet, funny, and intelligent mouse friend Linus who has since passed on but during his life i reffered to myself as mouse mama. ha animals, big and small are so amazing... i had always heard how smart and affection rats were... i knew they were smart and found from people who had them as pets that they were very cuddley... heehee my one friend's rats would curl up in a ball and sleep with her. and i learned just how people like mice are too when it comes to affection, in terms of giving and recieving. :D

anyway, yeah, i find that society in general is very torn apart by our differance... so odd to me because i am of the mind that we should be brought together by our similarities...

i got so frustrated with all this petty... well for lack of a better words, um B.S. ha. sorry for the vulgarity. i just really could think of a better way to phrase it... ha.
it is all just petty nonsensical crap.

people being overly concerned with grammar or social status or income... all of this stuff. feeling somehow superior to others becuase they are "better" then them. people who bring each other down and make others feel foolish only end up looking foolish themsleves.

i am not saying that, that is what the women who wrote the origanal post was trying to do. i am just making an observation about society in general. just to clarify. :)

but i don't buy into these stupid games. it is this sort of condesending attitude and behavior that drives us apart... people trying to out do each other left and right. life is not a competion. there is no need to feel superior to our brothers and sisters.
it is only a person ruled by fear and their own insecurity who finds this sort of behavior useful and in the end they will find out how very wrong they are... very sad indeed.

i feel that we are here to be the best people that we can be, in the sense of being the most kind person we can be, the most loving person we can be, the most giving person we can be and the most accepting and understanding person we can be... to help each other find joy and happiness in this earthly expierance... and to love and support each other the way we would our own family. i feel we are all children of god and feel that as being such we should act in a manner that shows our divine lineage... basicaly i mean that we should try our very best to make god proud to call us his children by truly loving ourselves and truly loving each other.

and when i see people not acting from a true and genuinely loving heart and picking people apart for little things that really are very unimportant i get upset. it is all such a waste of time and only brings us further away from each other and the true nature of ourselves.

and that being said... i understand that a person deaf from birth would have less exposure to the english language for the simple fact that they had never heard it spoken and they communicate on a daily basis in a different language. :) i think that people who read alot will have a better grasp of the english language whether they be hearing or deaf. do you think that this would be accurate?

is there perhaps not as big of an emphasis for deaf children of deaf parents to be as well versed in the english language? i thought this could sometimes be because they don't grow up talking to their families in english but in ASL... and a child's first exposure to language is from their families and this might make engligh harder for them.

now i am wondering, because i too have noticed that some deaf people struggle with the written language... i am wondering if it is more an issue with them expressing themselves through writting and not so much as their comprehending the writting when they read it.

i read something on the orignal post by a deaf person who said that he struggled with reading and that it took him a long time to do so. but his english skills seemed pretty good and his post was rather lengthly so in this case he seemed to express himself well in english but admitted to having problems reading english. i was wondering if a lack of writting skills does not necessarily go hand in hand with a lack of reading skills and vice versa.
i would really like to know what people think about this.

also i really enjoy reading and writting. i find myself with a great thirst for knowledge and an enjoyment of literature in general whether it be fiction or nonfiction. i know that exposure to books at a young age will build a strong foundation in language. i find this to be true from my first hand expierance also. my mom read to me a lot when i was young and i that foundation really helped me in school and reading and writting always came easily to me.

i have noticed too that in closed caption that the dialog is not always translated exactly as it is being said. this could be part of the problem too. i am not a big fan of paraphrasing because sometimes it doesn't convey the whole message completely.

wondering eveybodies thoughts on these things.

:)
oh what did you mean by “Tolle”?

bebonang:
what is th AD inbox? is a personal inbox of the users as opposed to just writting on their wall on their page?

Thanks, Botts. Yes, that is what I meant the Private Message (PM) at the upper right corner for the inboxes only it is not like mail but leave private messages between you and me. You can not write in the message until you have reach the 50 posts if that is what Alex who is the administrator of AllDeaf.com. He want all new members to wait until you reach 50 posts so that you can use the PM. I hope you can understand what I am saying and maybe Botts can explain better than me. :lol:

:wave: zoomzipboom,
:ty:for reply. I have two dogs and do really enjoy animals. Am also involved in Rottie and Pit Bull rescue. One of my friends as a kid had rats and hamsters and we spent lots of time holding them. How did you come to know your mouse friend Linus ? <like name>
I agree with you about the superiority games and all that, more important to see with one's heart, not one's ego. Everyone, d/Deaf, hearing all have various strengths and way we can learn from each other. I don't think differences are an issue so much as the human ego looking at the difference and not seeing beyond that.
My folks read to me all the time when I was a young child. Everyone in my family loves to read. Do you have some favorite books?

"Tolle" refers to the author Eckhart Tolle. My dear friend facilitates these discussion groups that I've been part of for several years now. Tolle talks a lot about ego and being truly awake as opposed to id'ing with form and what one thinks is reality, and also about true connection. So that's what your post reminded me of.

hi dogmom, aw cute name. heehee. it makes me smile. i had a very sweet, funny, and intelligent mouse friend Linus who has since passed on but during his life i reffered to myself as mouse mama. ha animals, big and small are so amazing... i had always heard how smart and affection rats were... i knew they were smart and found from people who had them as pets that they were very cuddley... heehee my one friend's rats would curl up in a ball and sleep with her. and i learned just how people like mice are too when it comes to affection, in terms of giving and recieving. :D

anyway, yeah, i find that society in general is very torn apart by our differance... so odd to me because i am of the mind that we should be brought together by our similarities...

i got so frustrated with all this petty... well for lack of a better words, um B.S. ha. sorry for the vulgarity. i just really could think of a better way to phrase it... ha.
it is all just petty nonsensical crap.

people being overly concerned with grammar or social status or income... all of this stuff. feeling somehow superior to others becuase they are "better" then them. people who bring each other down and make others feel foolish only end up looking foolish themsleves.

i am not saying that, that is what the women who wrote the origanal post was trying to do. i am just making an observation about society in general. just to clarify. :)

but i don't buy into these stupid games. it is this sort of condesending attitude and behavior that drives us apart... people trying to out do each other left and right. life is not a competion. there is no need to feel superior to our brothers and sisters.
it is only a person ruled by fear and their own insecurity who finds this sort of behavior useful and in the end they will find out how very wrong they are... very sad indeed.

i feel that we are here to be the best people that we can be, in the sense of being the most kind person we can be, the most loving person we can be, the most giving person we can be and the most accepting and understanding person we can be... to help each other find joy and happiness in this earthly expierance... and to love and support each other the way we would our own family. i feel we are all children of god and feel that as being such we should act in a manner that shows our divine lineage... basicaly i mean that we should try our very best to make god proud to call us his children by truly loving ourselves and truly loving each other.

and when i see people not acting from a true and genuinely loving heart and picking people apart for little things that really are very unimportant i get upset. it is all such a waste of time and only brings us further away from each other and the true nature of ourselves.

and that being said... i understand that a person deaf from birth would have less exposure to the english language for the simple fact that they had never heard it spoken and they communicate on a daily basis in a different language. :) i think that people who read alot will have a better grasp of the english language whether they be hearing or deaf. do you think that this would be accurate?

is there perhaps not as big of an emphasis for deaf children of deaf parents to be as well versed in the english language? i thought this could sometimes be because they don't grow up talking to their families in english but in ASL... and a child's first exposure to language is from their families and this might make engligh harder for them.

now i am wondering, because i too have noticed that some deaf people struggle with the written language... i am wondering if it is more an issue with them expressing themselves through writting and not so much as their comprehending the writting when they read it.

i read something on the orignal post by a deaf person who said that he struggled with reading and that it took him a long time to do so. but his english skills seemed pretty good and his post was rather lengthly so in this case he seemed to express himself well in english but admitted to having problems reading english. i was wondering if a lack of writting skills does not necessarily go hand in hand with a lack of reading skills and vice versa.
i would really like to know what people think about this.

also i really enjoy reading and writting. i find myself with a great thirst for knowledge and an enjoyment of literature in general whether it be fiction or nonfiction. i know that exposure to books at a young age will build a strong foundation in language. i find this to be true from my first hand expierance also. my mom read to me a lot when i was young and i that foundation really helped me in school and reading and writting always came easily to me.

i have noticed too that in closed caption that the dialog is not always translated exactly as it is being said. this could be part of the problem too. i am not a big fan of paraphrasing because sometimes it doesn't convey the whole message completely.

wondering eveybodies thoughts on these things.

:)
oh what did you mean by “Tolle”?

i really like the way you think and feel Zoomzipboom.
about reading and writing (spell it with 1 t), it is interesting that you note a person writes well but find hard to read, im kind of similar -only sometimes- but this is mainly due to the fact im reading hard stuff!, I am doing television studies and a post grad diploma in another subject.What i found myself doing it trying to emphaise with the author and also expanding my analytical horizon, arent easy when im reading new gists of matters and un-thought-off perspectives forcing me to re-read and re-think. So in that respect I can partly relate to it, also partly because I am d/Deaf for that i have an unique television experience opposed to what mostly is suggested in their course materials. (to those who responded to me hospital drama threads- many thanks and I still havent completed the essay due in 2 weeks but working hard at it, not an easy topic to cover, cant turn back and chose another so im forcing myself to finish what i started- hard as it is, i still love it) So in a round about way writing well, is to me, is being fussy, its good to be fussy to strive for excellence in expression (not a class thing, more of an ability to reach as many other readers to more people can relate to what i intend to write- which is the whole point) and so on contrary i read alot, and i have to, but even so that i do, i find it hard.....not the actual reading, getting the words, thats the easy part, the grasping of concepts, schematics, plot, slant, intensity and all is the hard part, i try very hard to pretend as 'absorbing as a hearing person' in so that theorically i would understand like a hearing person floating in the hearing cultural space.
lastly reading and writing does relate to each other, but its not mutual it is more like a warring couples at the divorce lawyers office, mediating the contents and putting into context before conclusions often uneasy because I, myself think about the consequences of what i write - that is academically.
just my 2 cents :)

writing, yes one "t" ha. i am actaully pretty good at spelling but i find that especially when i get in front of a keyboard i find myself making silly mistakes like that. ha.
anyway yeah i find that i have a lot of trouble personaly, absobing material if i am not interested in the subject matter... weather it is listening to a lecture or reading text, if i am not interested it my mind immediatly starts to wander and i can't focus at all. i suppose evryone is like this.

also while i feel i can express myself fairly well in writing, i have trouble expressing my emotions, thoughts and feelings when i am talking to people in person about the same thing that i could almost perfectly express in writing. general everday stuff is fine, but if it comes to things such as deep issues or things that require a lot of thought i have troubles. while i can completely understand the concepts and subject content the other person is trying to express, i can't expresse things back as easily verbaly as i could in writting. i think differently when i write. my ideas flow easier.

i have actaully had problems in my relationships with this, not expressing how i am feeling or if i do, being vague when i think i am being totaly clear. i find that i can't find the words at all to express what i am feeling and when in confrontation with deeper issues or subject matter, i just totally am at a loss for words and am not even sure how i feel. even if i could express it... i don't know where to begin.

so i find it interesting that while i am able to express deep things easily in writing that when face to face with someone, discussing those same issues is a real problem. i just blank out... i am not sure why this is but i feel on the spot and can't hold one to one single thought or think how to phrase it, or where to begin.
when i am by myself i have a great awareness of my opinions, feelings, or ideas but when it comes to expressing those same things face to face it feels like my brain is very foggy and i can't see my thoughts... i just get very confused and frustrated. it feels like my brain is moving too fast and not latching on to any thoughts but just grasping at a whole bunch of thoughts at the same time.

i have a very one track mind as they say, so perhaps when dealing with a complex issue with many different aspects to it i get very confused. it feels very debilatating at times.
i am a writer, so expressing a view, thought, or feeling through writing is my one of my stronger points and it would seem that i have the direct opposite problem with this other form of communication.

so basicaly while it seems that comprehending and expressing would go hand in hand they don't always.
and while it seems that writing and communication would go hand in hand, again for me they don't.
so now after looking at my own situation i see how reading and writing might not go hand and hand either. :)

writing, yes one "t" ha. i am actaully pretty good at spelling but i find that especially when i get in front of a keyboard i find myself making silly mistakes like that. ha.
anyway yeah i find that i have a lot of trouble personaly, absobing material if i am not interested in the subject matter... weather it is listening to a lecture or reading text, if i am not interested it my mind immediatly starts to wander and i can't focus at all. i suppose evryone is like this.

also while i feel i can express myself fairly well in writing, i have trouble expressing my emotions, thoughts and feelings when i am talking to people in person about the same thing that i could almost perfectly express in writing. general everday stuff is fine, but if it comes to things such as deep issues or things that require a lot of thought i have troubles. while i can completely understand the concepts and subject content the other person is trying to express, i can't expresse things back as easily verbaly as i could in writting. i think differently when i write. my ideas flow easier.

Im like that too!, i express my thoughts far better in writing because i have the time to clarify it, polish up the express, papers/computers have indefinite patience because it is just that, things, a medium for me to do what I like i dont have to fear they'd groan, slap me, get shitty or think im a bore none of that occur, just blissful peace (well not always especially due to university deadline pressure, the blissful gets snatched away hence I have to think fast!, double the own thinking for ideas and double the pace for thinking of how clear is it written AND answering the questions. I suppose its not quite same as free flowing writing, funny enough, with a structure/plan set down that is , essay question i find it easier to writing flowing as like i have a direct purpose for writing.

i have actaully had problems in my relationships with this, not expressing how i am feeling or if i do, being vague when i think i am being totaly clear. i find that i can't find the words at all to express what i am feeling and when in confrontation with deeper issues or subject matter, i just totally am at a loss for words and am not even sure how i feel. even if i could express it... i don't know where to begin.

me too, all the more reason why i like university writing, essay questions are like signposts for me to give a 'goal' and i figure out whats the path towards that direction.

so i find it interesting that while i am able to express deep things easily in writing that when face to face with someone, discussing those same issues is a real problem. i just blank out... i am not sure why this is but i feel on the spot and can't hold one to one single thought or think how to phrase it, or where to begin.

so do I so do I !!, except when i discuss with lecturers, as long they have time on their hands, meaning to say as long they arent under pressure of their own... but it is gradually getting easier for me to talk about stuff with anybody, i guess i'm coming of age from writing to verbalising (nor yet signing those stuff - but i sign about other ordinary things- just havent found a d/Deaf person whos capable of holding discussions of those topics with me, except for a hearing woman who lives some 500km from me, who is a interpreter student, she is amazing we can talk medicine, politics, society,people,drive justice, food all in sign!, she's a dynamite! (got that a funny feeling about you too)

when i am by myself i have a great awareness of my opinions, feelings, or ideas but when it comes to expressing those same things face to face it feels like my brain is very foggy and i can't see my thoughts... i just get very confused and frustrated. it feels like my brain is moving too fast and not latching on to any thoughts but just grasping at a whole bunch of thoughts at the same time.

i panic, when i get conspicious, but half the time I dont know it, i just get a blank, same i cant see my thoughts, i get nervous, but not actually aware of it, i am seeking counselling to overcome this' social anixety' for myself, please dont think im suggesting you have this, - i dont think you do, you may. But im not wishing to push you along it. but i know i have it. but i also got a real physical problem - deafness is fine, but the tinnitus !! its literally Wrecks everything for me, for last 2 years of my life, its been hell, compounded with my brain is over-drive, i am over eager to share but i cant, i find myself unable to start some how and unable to um, respond to /share their conversational occupation, even so when other d/Deaf talks about power-related topics i feel its nearly there but nowhere close because it resonates what their real interest is, - gaing power- its just a way of their office politics in action - i dont want to be part of it, i dont like it, with this i find its impossible to find who would be willing to 'not greedy'. its hard, not only their 'ulterior motive' but also they way it is understood, very very few people actually do, this includes hearing people.

i have a very one track mind as they say, so perhaps when dealing with a complex issue with many different aspects to it i get very confused. it feels very debilatating at times.
i am a writer, so expressing a view, thought, or feeling through writing is my one of my stronger points and it would seem that i have the direct opposite problem with this other form of communication.

so do I, not much of a (free) writer , except when comes to essays, and i hope in time in future id be able to fulfil to a Masters and then publish a few books after that. so in a way im a writer, but i stuggle with English, but it's getting better all the time, i cant force this progress, its all about time, and the mind to think absorb not just english but everything else too i wish i can hurry it but i can't, while i said this, i find it easier now to have patience as now i am well on the way to actualise my self-expression with in my life time so im happy there...

so basicaly while it seems that comprehending and expressing would go hand in hand they don't always.
and while it seems that writing and communication would go hand in hand, again for me they don't.
so now after looking at my own situation i see how reading and writing might not go hand and hand either. :)

the last bit is really interesting, I havent really made that observation. Certainly thought provoking. Maybe i need time to think about this. But right now I think I can say this much... I feel its not always like the same for comprehending and expressing, like maybe it needs to be written first THEN look at the works done, and at that point you'd take a look at it, and reflect and actually learn from what you wrote? I wonder if this is the same as how some people says a conflict can occur between the thinking and the feeling, its much the same way as the head and the heart should be in syncronisation.
People who have this internal conflict sometimes stem from hunch instincts that telling you not to believe how things were explained to be.
I found that, for me, I sometimes finds there is a lack of likeable or agreeable or helpful reading materials. This is to say that even if it doesnt have anything specific but maybe has a good way of expressing which is potentional useful to help explain something radically different from any point of view 'already out there'. That is when I get unsatisfied, forcing me to resort to nothing but write my own to fill the void so I think I got get your drift, at least I hope so :)

Last edited:
exactly! everything... exaclty! if i want to know how i feel about somethig i find that i only understand those feelings or even aware of those feelings until after i write them down. wow. we are very much alike when it comes to expessing ourselves and they way our minds work. :D cool.

Back