Hi y'all!

O*I*C

Reaction score
I just started reading this forum a few days ago and love it here already.

I was born hard of hearing but not diagnosed until I was 13 because I learned to lip read as a toddler thanks to my Mother who loved to sit on the couch and read to my siblings and I when we were younger. Everyone thought I was shy and a dreamer when really I just didn't hear them or couldn't understand new people as well.

I went to a mainstream school but no accomodations were made for me even though they knew about my hearing loss. If we were seated in alphabetic order and I ended up in the back row because of my last name then tough, that was where I was stuck sitting. Ha! My grades obviously went down in highschool :P

Nobody else within my family or circle of friends has a hearing loss, but this never bothered me until lately. I started college after a few years break from school and dropped out after one semester. The school made no accomodations even though being older now I knew to ask for them and did repeated. I felt very alone and isolated, I couldn't really talk to any of the other students well or hear the lessons. I got good grades, but it took hours of independent study after school and the constant lip reading in class exhausted me until all I wanted to do was sleep.

Since dropping out I don't even wear my hearing aids now, I found out how little they really help me. My husband and I started ASL classes two weeks ago and after last weeks class I came home and went into my bedroom and cried and cried. I wasn't sad, I was so happy. For the first time since I could remember I could "hear" what someone was saying to me easily and the very first time without asking them to repeat themselves. Even though the phrases were the simple beginner signs like "you name you?" and "I student. You student you?" they still made me so happy to be able to understand them without any problems.

I am a little sad though, because in a few weeks the classes will be on a break for Summer and I don't want to stop learning, but I'm so happy my husband is learning ASL with me and I'll be able to communicate with him without either of us getting frustrated all the time.

Ah... sorry for the book LOL! So anyways, Hi! :wave:

:wave:hello

that is nice that you and your husband are taking the class together - I always like to read about that Am happy for your new-found sense of belonging/understanding - do you know what he thinks so far?

my hubby born w/Rubella syndrome to 16-yr. old girl, was adopted, lived in very rural area - only person not elderly around there with his degree of hearing loss. Raised oral. I was born very prematurely w/alleged "missing inner ear bones" but it was never investigated or confirmed...as far as I know, started losing my hearing couple of years ago. Had delayed speech and language issues as a young child. I'm in my 30's. Was exposed to ASL some years back with a college job and learned some but didn't maintain it...have started learning again; hubby won't take ASL class with me - fear I suppose. So I'm happy for you:)
I'm using the captions on the tv though hubby dislikes them- but last night couldn't watch the original movie we planned cuz no captions and I couldn't hear it, so we watched a different one.

anyway - welcome!:wave:

Why don't you contact Voc Rehab and get Cart so you can have your lectures transcribed. THere is no reason these days to miss your education.

Dogmom, he enjoys it so far but he thinks I am learning faster than him. Probably I am because I'm teaching our children too and spend a lot of time looking up new words so that along with asking for milk our youngest can also sign that she wants milk although I'm not sure if if I'm getting the grammar right yet. He's always been very accomodating and actually likes having CC on the television. I'm sorry your hubby won't take classes, but does he let you teach him some? I know I enjoy having my husband with me, makes me less nervous since I'm very shy.

Bottesini, I tried. Every week I was in the counselor's office at school and the only class they offered a note taker for was Art History and he was always weeks behind. On our final exam he was almost a month behind on notes and no help to me. They didn't offer a note taker for any other class, just told me that I could bring in an interpreter if I wanted but I don't know sign so that wouldn't help. Our local BVR group told me that I didn't qualify since I had to have 3 disabilities and the only one I have is my hearing loss, which is severe/profound and almost completely deaf in my right ear. Meh, they said they are very overrun with new requests and have to deny so many people so I understand, they said it is the economy. What is cart?

Ah, no. I just googled cart. We couldn't afford that and the school doesn't offer it. It is a little private school, an art school. I decided I was paying too much for my tuition and not getting the education to go with it so I dropped out, which makes me feel like a loser right? Because I can't even handle going to Art School so what does that say about me. It's been a couple of months, and I feel better now and not so angry with myself.

I just started reading this forum a few days ago and love it here already.

I was born hard of hearing but not diagnosed until I was 13 because I learned to lip read as a toddler thanks to my Mother who loved to sit on the couch and read to my siblings and I when we were younger. Everyone thought I was shy and a dreamer when really I just didn't hear them or couldn't understand new people as well.

I went to a mainstream school but no accomodations were made for me even though they knew about my hearing loss. If we were seated in alphabetic order and I ended up in the back row because of my last name then tough, that was where I was stuck sitting. Ha! My grades obviously went down in highschool :P

Nobody else within my family or circle of friends has a hearing loss, but this never bothered me until lately. I started college after a few years break from school and dropped out after one semester. The school made no accomodations even though being older now I knew to ask for them and did repeated. I felt very alone and isolated, I couldn't really talk to any of the other students well or hear the lessons. I got good grades, but it took hours of independent study after school and the constant lip reading in class exhausted me until all I wanted to do was sleep.

Since dropping out I don't even wear my hearing aids now, I found out how little they really help me. My husband and I started ASL classes two weeks ago and after last weeks class I came home and went into my bedroom and cried and cried. I wasn't sad, I was so happy. For the first time since I could remember I could "hear" what someone was saying to me easily and the very first time without asking them to repeat themselves. Even though the phrases were the simple beginner signs like "you name you?" and "I student. You student you?" they still made me so happy to be able to understand them without any problems.

I am a little sad though, because in a few weeks the classes will be on a break for Summer and I don't want to stop learning, but I'm so happy my husband is learning ASL with me and I'll be able to communicate with him without either of us getting frustrated all the time.

Ah... sorry for the book LOL! So anyways, Hi! :wave:

Hi O.I.C :wave: Welcome to AD! Your story reads very similar to mine. Feel free to PM me when you are able to. Enjoy the forum. You will find you are not alone.

Welcome to AD,
Hope you keep posting around the forum! Glad you're doing well on your journey to learning asl! :)

I was probaly born HOH but my hearing loss level is kinda a lil close 2 yours right now :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I went through the same thing when I was in mainstream elementary and mainstream high school in the oral-only program but I was not alone as I have deaf classmates back then. That was in the 1954 to 1966. When I was in 10th to 12th grades, I had a very difficult time trying to understand what the teachers and hearing students saying in the hearing classrooms. It was a struggle with no accommodations. I have never like oral-only program at all. I was jealous of my hearing sister getting all the good grades of A+ in all of her classes. I got some F to D- or D+. But still I graduated from high school. What a bummer. :roll:

Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Thank you everyone!

I keep hopping around from one post to another and pretty much everybody seems pretty nice on here. The forum is huge! I didn't even realize how far down you could scroll to see all of the different sub-forums on the main page. I managed to lose the button to add smileys too, or I'm just not seeing it. I also searched but didn't see this, is there a way to go to the last read post in a thread or does it always default to the first post every time and then you have to scroll to where you were last time you read that thread? Sorry for the silly questions.

BecLak, I'll do that now!

OIC, when you respond to a post, if you go to "post quick reply," there are no smileys. Look under the posting box for the button on the right that says "Go Advanced." Click on that to find all the emoticons.

:ty:

Thank you, Beach Girl! I love me some smileys, so glad I have them back now :dance2:

:welcome:

your story made me smile, I too love hearing stories like that. a heart warming inspiration :)

Any chance you're taking classes at St. Rita's? If so, I think I may know you! (I'm the youngest guy in the class.)

:ty:Thank you, everyone. I lost my bookmark for here and just found it again. Ha!

Sapphire, I do go to St. Rita's for classes. Are you in Charlene's class? I attend with my husband and I'm the one who she occassionally stands in front of and repeats what she has just said so I can lip read :laugh2: Come over and introduce yourself next class! I'm trying to place you, you had on a white shirt last class? Wavy hair and sat with a group by the on the side where the windows are?

Back