Hi, y'all! Using my BlackBerry 7290 as a modem for my laptop!

I learn that SK3's bluetooth won't support as modem. BOOOOOO

BB tethered modem

i use the usb cable that came with my Black berry 8100. if you have a PC with a usb 2.0 port you wont drain your BB battery. speeds very from 10kps to 115 kbs. wish i knew a way to yank more speed through it though. im trying to down load a 309 mb file from Bioware to update my Mass Effect game. any hints on how to set the speed higher?

Phone []~ USB 2.0 cable ~ PC dial up connection for T-mobile. yes its 29.99 but its better than Juno which you cant use via cell phones

bluetooth sucks. VERY SLOW!!!!!!!!

I use Sprint BB Curve 8330 with bluetooth as modem and paired with my laptop's bluetooth. I surfed net and it was as fast as just like it were connected to USB. Perhap you hit some net traffic.

But you must place phone with bluetooth running close to your laptop for better speed or connection. Although bluetooth wireless range can reach up to 30 ft. You can even pair bluetooth while ur phone is still in hoister and use laptop so it'll be between 5 inches to 2 ft which is an excellent signal range.

I've use that last summer and it was so neat that I can surf net while my wife drive 75mph on highway for vacation.

Catty

Hey,

That's my FAQ -- I wrote that HOWTO for using a BlackBerry as a modem for laptop.

My experience is:
7290 -- about 40 Kbps (GPRS)
8700 -- about 150-200 Kbps (EDGE)
Curve 8310 -- about 150-200 Kbps (EDGE)
Bold 9000 -- about 1200 Kbps (3G -- broadband on a BlackBerry!!!!!)

I love the Bold, because its 3G means I get broadband instead of dialup. But for TMobile you may find it easier to stick with EDGE. But you can get an old 8700 on eBay for $50, move your T-Mobile SIM card from the slot behind your battery in your 7290 (you don't even need to call T-Mobile or let them know), plug the SIM card into your 8700, and you're on a much better BlackBerry with faster Internet, similiar to "Highspeed Lite" speeds. The SIM card looks like a memory card. To transfer your setup, Click Email Settings icon, transfer your email address. Use BlackBerry Desktop to transfer your addressbook/calendar/etc. Then you've switched BlackBerries on a no-contract basis!

T-Mobile. You can visit the thread here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019

By using my Blackberry 7290 as a modem, I'm using data and not voice minutes. If you're a T-Mobile subscriber, you dial *99#, enter your T-Mobile user name and password, and surf the net using your laptop.

I know this is an old message but I'm wondering if I could discontinue my ISP and get a touchscreen phone that will allow me to connect to my iMac via touchscreen phone. I would like a voice plan so I could use webcaptel but I could do without voice plan to save $$$$. What are the capabilities of the new phones using webtel, Internet and tethering and how much will it cost me?

I wanted to tether my BB to my laptop when I traveled but my T-Mobile provider told me the fees would be outrageous. What is the specific plan you have that is $29.99? Is it actually called "12.6 Whenever Megabytes"?

I wanted to tether my BB to my laptop when I traveled but my T-Mobile provider told me the fees would be outrageous. What is the specific plan you have that is $29.99? Is it actually called "12.6 Whenever Megabytes"?

Not sure about the specific plan, but you will need to activate one for sure. For cingular, our thing is called "Media Net" (you can just ask them about internet access I guess), and mine is an unlimited surfing plan at $15.00 extra a month.

It is expensive if you don't buy a plan. I think the price is probably the same for all major cellphone companies, at $.01 per a kilobyte. Surfing for about 2 hours straight at a moderately light site, will probably foot you around $20-$30.00... But that's HOURS of downloading activity, not just reading.

Also, depending on what phone you use.. you may or may not require additional software. For my motorola phones, I need to use the MPT on my laptop (Motorola Phone Tools) in order to get it on the net. Software wasn't free, but I found ways to find it.

I use Sprint BB Curve 8330 with bluetooth as modem and paired with my laptop's bluetooth. I surfed net and it was as fast as just like it were connected to USB. Perhap you hit some net traffic.

But you must place phone with bluetooth running close to your laptop for better speed or connection. Although bluetooth wireless range can reach up to 30 ft. You can even pair bluetooth while ur phone is still in hoister and use laptop so it'll be between 5 inches to 2 ft which is an excellent signal range.

I've use that last summer and it was so neat that I can surf net while my wife drive 75mph on highway for vacation.

Catty

Look at post date, it was in 2006.

Tethering via bluetooth is so horrible in 2006.

Back