hi there :]

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I discovered this site 10 minutes ago. ha. Not even kidding.
Well, let me introduce myself.

I'm hearing. :)

When I was four years old, I could not speak. The doctors didn't understand why and neither did my family. I guess I was a slow learner when I was younger (i'm not now, but you get my drift). I was introduced to sign language. I remember how frustrating it was. I wanted to say something...but just couldn't. So people had to guess what I was saying. But when I learned sign language, I used it to communicate. They were simple signs: Mom, Dad, brother (and all their names), dog, sick, cat, etc. etc. I had a sheet at my house where I just looked at it and used the sign.

I started getting a lot of ear-aches. They were so bad. I had tubes put into my ears and I outgrew them. So I no longer use them.

The outcome of me not speaking until I was four is I have a speech impediment. I've had an extremely hard life. It's not fun to hear people call me "retard." I'M not. The only thing that is wrong with me is my voice...but people look at that and just immediately think I'm stupid.

I'm a sophomore in college. Life has gotten so much better. As you get older, people don't care what you sound like. Of course, there's going to be mean people out there that will hold that against you, but most of the time, they just don't care. I have plenty of friends and I'm thankful to God that He's given me them.

So as I was growing up, I learned more sign language. When I was about seven, I decided to be a teacher for the deaf. And I still have that dream 13 years later. I still have a lot to learn, however. There are many signs out there that I don't know. But there are a lot of signs that I do know. So I'm taking an ASL class to help me get better!

I'm a Christian. I love God and I try to live for Him daily. It's okay if you don't believe in Him, I'm not going to put my religion down your throats. Unlike many Christians, I'm not judgmental, I don't have that holier-than-thou kind of attitude.

And I'm wondering, how many Deaf people are on here?

So, you have no voice box? It's not often I hear from anyone without speakable.

Only thing I have hear most about HOC (Hearing Over Carriers)

Welcome to AD!! I'm deaf as you can see in my name!! Hope it goes well in your journey to become a TOD!(teacher of the deaf, by the way just in case you are not familiar with that expression)

See you around!

DeafLissa90

Welcome to AD! Where 25,000 deaf, hard of hearing and hearing of the deaf culture is joined. :cool2:

So, you have no voice box? It's not often I hear from anyone without speakable.

Only thing I have hear most about HOC (Hearing Over Carriers)

I can talk. I just have a speech impediment. Sorry, I didn't make myself clear haha. I eventually learned how to talk. Just a speech impediment. :)

Welcome to AD!! I'm deaf as you can see in my name!! Hope it goes well in your journey to become a TOD!(teacher of the deaf, by the way just in case you are not familiar with that expression)

See you around!

DeafLissa90

I know, I'm excited to start teaching!!!!
And thanks for the tip of TOD. Now I'll know what it means next time I see it!

Well, I'm attending a community college. So right now, I'm studying to be a teacher's Aid. Because being a teacher needs a 4-year college. Then I'm going to switch over to a 4-year school to get my teaching degree. And I'm going to continue taking ASL classes..and I use ASL a lot, anyways. My friends brother is deaf and autistic, so I talk to him and do a lot of activities with him.

But I'd like to work with disabled children as well. But mostly people who are Deaf.

Well, I'm attending a community college. So right now, I'm studying to be a teacher's Aid. Because being a teacher needs a 4-year college. Then I'm going to switch over to a 4-year school to get my teaching degree. And I'm going to continue taking ASL classes..and I use ASL a lot, anyways. My friends brother is deaf and autistic, so I talk to him and do a lot of activities with him.

But I'd like to work with disabled children as well. But mostly people who are Deaf.
You're lucky to have known ASL :)

:welcome: to AD. I am hearing but I love the Deaf community and I am working toward becoming an ASL Interpreter. I am saddened to hear about how people will segregate you because of how you sound. Typical of most hearing people as I have found. I wish you luck in every thing you do and try. :wave:

:wave: and welcome too, xspinning!

I also verbalized late and had other speech issues later. I gestured for many things and was very frustrated cuz people didn't understand me but unlike you I was not lucky enough to have access to sign. I was in speech therapy for long time and have remnants of speech impediment that is noticeable to some. Pronouncing some things does not come easy to me. I also happen to have LD, not diagnosed til college, new hoh.
I've had many people call me names too and was bullied in lower grades for long time.

I have worked with folks with autism, Down Syndrome, etc. I also have worked with Deaf students and staff in a recreational program. I learned very much!

Good luck to be TOD!

Yeah, wherever I go, and whenever I talk, people notice. But hey, my view is this: if someone has a problem with you because of something you can't help, then forget about it. Because I know I matter. I have tons of friends, and tons of family that loves me for who I am. I know I have a contagious personality (not to sound all conceited), but I know that's what draws people near. Because I'm not ashamed of who I am anymore.

And dogmom, I used to have a LD when I was younger. I know it can be difficult :/
Especially when you were diagnosed in college. That must be hard! Because college can be sooo challenging. Do you have any services that can help you through college? Like tutoring or something??

I've been to a tutor for Math (YUCK!).

:welcome: to AD. I am hearing but I love the Deaf community and I am working toward becoming an ASL Interpreter. I am saddened to hear about how people will segregate you because of how you sound. Typical of most hearing people as I have found. I wish you luck in every thing you do and try. :wave:
Yeah, people can be cruel!

Oh, and congratulations on your baby! (read your sig).
When is she/he coming??

:welcome: to AD! I am deaf myself and a TOD myself. :)

Really, awesome! How long have you been one?

7 years now...but I have been in the field as a teacher's aide, internships, practicums, and volunteering for about 14 years now.

Back