Hi there, I'm new!

katiek

Reaction score
My name is Katie and I am the Mom to two spectacular boys, Luke age 5 (hearing) and Noah age 3 (progressive hearing loss, now deaf). Noah was born with a cleft palate and a minor hearing loss in one ear which has progressed to a profound loss in his R ear and a moderate-severe loss in his L ear. While Noah will be receiving a CI in his L and wears an aid in his R, our family also believes that he needs ASL and as such, are all learning (some better than others! My 5 year old is almost teaching me at this point! He's amazing!) Noah is enrolled in a D/HoH preschool program where the teacher is Deaf and one of the most wonderful people I've ever met!!

I hope to learn a lot from you all!

hello...doing asl is important,stick with it...child with clef palate can be daunting you seem to be doing well, best luck

Welcome! Is he getting a good bilingal training approach? (both speech AND Sign?) Glad he's in Deaf Ed. HOH kids thrive in early childhood Deaf Ed. ......that will give him a really good foundation for later on, whatever his educational placement will be then.
Here's an great organization: American Society for Deaf Children - Home

:welcome: I love the way you approach his hearing loss and your family as well. This is very rare, I have met several wonderful mother like you willing to take extra mileage for Deaf child. Trust assure, you will be fine in long run.

welcome to Alldeaf!!!! (I was born with a cleft palate which was inherited from my dad)

Welcome! Is he getting a good bilingal training approach? (both speech AND Sign?) Glad he's in Deaf Ed. HOH kids thrive in early childhood Deaf Ed. ......that will give him a really good foundation for later on, whatever his educational placement will be then.
Here's an great organization: American Society for Deaf Children - Home

He is in an amazing total communication program as has speech and sign! I'm very thankful for the program!

He is in an amazing total communication program as has speech and sign! I'm very thankful for the program!

YAY! Are you really happy with the way he's progressing with both? I think that dhh classes are AWESOME for HOH kids! I also have a feeling that research is gonna indicate that ASL fluency is going to be a big key to getting employment, exactly like how there's a Braille fluency= higher employment rate.

YAY! Are you really happy with the way he's progressing with both? I think that dhh classes are AWESOME for HOH kids! I also have a feeling that research is gonna indicate that ASL fluency is going to be a big key to getting employment, exactly like how there's a Braille fluency= higher employment rate.

I am VERY happy with how he is progressing with both. Since he was deafened postlingually, his speech has remained "at age appropriate levels" and I am struggling to keep up with his ASL. He's ALWAYS teaching me new signs and quite often signs/speaks at the same time! I think the reason that this program is so successful is that the main teacher is Deaf and the aid is hearing. The kids are getting the best of BOTH worlds. Basically, I feel like my son (and the rest of our family) will be bilingual and what a gift is that?!

Back