Hi there - another newbie here!

macca

Reaction score
Hi folks!
I'm Wayne, 34 from West Yorkshire in the UK. After struggling along for several years I finally took the plunge and had my hearing tested at the local audiologist dept. I knew I had a problem, but I was still shocked when they told me I had lost the equivalent of 40% of my hearing! Unfortunately I was the stupid one listening to music far too loud on headphones so I can only blame myself.

They took impressions of my ears so they can make some earmoulds for me, and I'll be going back in a couple of months to have the hearing aids programmed and fitted.

Could anyone give me an idea of what it's like when you first get hearing aids, and any advice on how to get used to wearing them etc? It's a whole new world for me so any help would be much appreciated.

Congratulations on a great website and I hope to be a regular!!

Wayne

Hello!
Welcome to AllDeaf.com

You will join them. Enjoy your stay. Have a FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello and welcome .... enjoy your way around this forum .... it's fun reading the different opinions over various issues. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You are late deafen, which mean you have been hearing the sounds or noises and understanding what people say until you loose your hearing. I was born deaf but I got my first hearing aid at the age of nine years old. I did not like to wear hearing aid on the right side of my ear because all I could is feel the vibration and no sound or noise coming into my ear so that is profound deaf all the way beyond 100% hearing loss. Then the audiologist try to use another earmold with the hearing aid on my left ear. Yeah, it open a new world for me and never knew where that noise or sound came from. I was very surprise at the sound. My hearing range of hearing loss was 60%. When I step outside of the building there was a lot of noises in Minneapolis, Minnesota and whoa I did not like this noises at all but it was very interesting to find where the sounds came from. Today my left hearing loss is almost 90%, almost close to 100%. I don't want CI because I like the silence and don't mind about the quiet world. Yeah, there are days sometime when I felt lonely but that is normal. I find things to do and try to go to Deaf events, and meet deaf friends in another reserve which sometimes not often. They are busy and I am busy, too. Life goes on. I hope that answer your question. I hope to see you around. :bye:

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! When you first get your ha's, go easy, meaning; wear it for a brief time, like a couple hours at a time daily, increasing the amount of time wearing them as you gradually adjust to them. Doing so can provide a sense of comfort as well as preventing any possible onslaught of headaches. Once you are comfortably adapted to wearing them, anything prior to that will be a thing of the past. However, if in extreme cases of discomfort, etc., getting back with your audiologist would be your best option. Also, congratulations and wish the best for you when you do use it. In the meantime, enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

:wave:
~RR

Hi All,
Thanks so much for your replies, it's really appreciated.

Roadrunner,
Thanks very much for your advice, I'll be sure to take it easy at first. I don't want to do anything that's going to put me off wearing them, as I really want them to work for me.:fingersx:

I sometimes feel a little apprehensive about what people's reaction might be, but I'm going for it anyway 'cause I'm sure no-one will bat an eyelid. Nearly everyone I see these days has ipod earphones hanging out of their ears so I'll hardly stand out!!

My audiologist said it could be upto 8 weeks before I get them, I'm terrible at waiting for anything but I know in this case it'll be worth it. I'll let everyone know how I get on once I get the call back.

Look forward to posting more on AD, everyone on here seems really friendly.:wiggle:
Wayne

Hi, Wayne. Welcome from Oregon on the west coast of the US. I'm completely deaf after wearing in-the-ear aids then over-the-ear aids. I never thought about it until you meantioned it, but little ear-phones are right in style now. That's good. It's about time we deafies become the style-setters.

Back