Hi, struggling hearing person.

binksamani

Reaction score
Hey, im binks, a 16 year old girl. So, i have this thing where it's hard for me to hear because of a constant ringing in my ears. Because of this i tried to pick up sign. Unfortunately, i know no one that signs fluently. If anyone who reads this would want to talk to me and help me, i would be most grateful. :ty:

Thank you for the welcomes :D So, I have severe tinnitus and possible mild hearing loss, but i still need to go to a ear nose and throat doctor to find the extent. Thank you for the information on the summer programs. Unfortunately it would be unlikely for me to attend, but still, thank you very much. :ty:

If it turns out that you do have a mild loss, you can transfer to a school or a program for the deaf, and learn Sign that way!

thanks peoples. I wish i could enroll in a school for the deaf or one with even an asl class, but, sadly, i live too far away from those

thanks peoples. I wish i could enroll in a school for the deaf or one with even an asl class, but, sadly, i live too far away from those

Well that's why they have boarding programs! Most deaf schools have the option of staying in a dorm on campus! Even if your state doesn't have a deaf school or has a crappy deaf school (ie Arkansas, North Carolina, Utah (except for the Jean Massiau program) you could look into Model Secondary School for the Deaf in Washington DC...Then you could be immersed in the language, and learn ASL! It's not that unusual for oral kids to transfer to Signing Deaf Schools and learn ASL!

Thank you for that information, i didn't know i could transfer out of state. However, the money would cost would be a problem, wouldn't it? One would think that a boarding program would be a LOT more than normal day school.

Thank you for that information, i didn't know i could transfer out of state. However, the money would cost would be a problem, wouldn't it? One would think that a boarding program would be a LOT more than normal day school.

It is. And your local school district would have to pay the cost.

They would have to deem it necessary and that you couldn't do well without the program.

In reality this is very rare, and it is unlikely to happen.

It is. And your local school district would have to pay the cost.

They would have to deem it necessary and that you couldn't do well without the program.

In reality this is very rare, and it is unlikely to happen.

Just to clarifiy this is very rare for someone with just mild loss to get an out of district placement to the state Deaf School or MSSD. I know of more HOH kids who got to attend their state Deaf school or MSSD. However, it's easier/possible in a state that has the parental referral option, and if she's in the middle of no where with little/no special ed oppetunties, AND if the parent argues that it's needed......There's also the argument that the loss might be progressive and thus immersion with ASL might be needed. I doubt that the school district would send an extremely high functioning "just mild" loss student to a deaf school or to a dhh program.....but again you never know....Often if you fight for it, it can happen.

well, i get to have neurology appointments, but i dont think im going to try to pursue the deaf school ideas. I met a few people at my school that like to sign too, so i think ill work with that. Thank you all for the help :D

well, i get to have neurology appointments, but i dont think im going to try to pursue the deaf school ideas. I met a few people at my school that like to sign too, so i think ill work with that. Thank you all for the help :D

Excellent! I don't think that ALL dhh kids need to attend Deaf Schools...Just wanted to let you know what is out there, just so you knew it might be an option. Were you aware too that many states offer a dhh program, where the deaf kids are grouped together for education. Maybe start a Deaf Club too....And maybe if it does turn out that you have a loss, maybe a good idea might be to attend Deaf Camp... there's all kinds of Deaf Camps from secular (housed at the Deaf School) to religious etc

Back