Hi, new here

thefabfive

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Amy. I have five kiddos, three of whom are deaf/hoh. My 5 year old and 2 year old use hearing aids, and my 4 year old has CIs. All three kids are just awesome. We know some ASL, but I'd like them to be fluent as well. It's really hard to find a way to learn other than to just teach ourselves...I took them to some classes at the library but we already knew all the signs they were teaching.

Anyways, I want to be a good mama to my littles, and figured I could get some great advice from others who have been where they are now, or others who have been where I am now! My kids are the first in our families (both mine or m husbands) to have any type of hearing loss, so until my kids came along, I knew nothing about the subject, I knew no deaf people, I didn't even know what a cochlear implant was! My how my little world has expanded!

Welcome aboard. Have a nice time looking around.

Hi. Just sift through and you can find a lot of positive information here. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You are never too late to learn everything about deafness. Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

welcome to AD!
I'm a kid here with a moderate/severe with a severe loss in the high frequncies LOL
(I use hearing aids BTW)

I have five kiddos, three of whom are deaf/hoh. My 5 year old and 2 year old use hearing aids, and my 4 year old has CIs. All three kids are just awesome. We know some ASL, but I'd like them to be fluent as well. It's really hard to find a way to learn other than to just teach ourselves...I took them to some classes at the library but we already knew all the signs they were teaching.
WELCOME!!!! That is AWESOME that you're interested in getting them fluent in ASL! Are they in school? You could maybe see if there's a regional dhh program they could attend to learn ASL. They are elgiable! Maybe a good idea would be to have the early intervention service plan written out so you guys can have ASL instruction. You can say that you want your kids to be bilingal and function both with and without their hearing aids and CIs. Contact your state's School for the Deaf for resources etc.Virtually all state schools for the deaf have really good outreach. Contact your state's chapter of NAD. Sometimes state chapters of NAD offer mentor program where ASL fluent/Deaf people come to your house to mentor your family. When your kids are older, they could attend Deaf Camp...but yeah it's a good idea to get started early, since your kids can learn it easily as kids. Here are some resources for you: American Society for Deaf Children,
Hands & Voices

Back