Hi, new here.

ASLkids

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Bastian, and I am a parent of a deaf 4-year-old (HOH myself).
When my wife and I found out about our son's hearing loss, we started learning sign language and read everything there is to know about ASL/deafness.
We (my kids and I) developed an ASL app for younger children so they learn at their own pace. ASL kids.
Im putting a website together with sign language for kids resources. Just started filling it. I hope to find tips in this community and I'm curious about your story.

Thanks!

I love that when you found out he was deaf you learned sign instead of finding a 'cure'. Welcome :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

hello..what you doing is great..have you seen any of the apps already

Hi,
My name is Bastian, and I am a parent of a deaf 4-year-old (HOH myself).
When my wife and I found out about our son's hearing loss, we started learning sign language and read everything there is to know about ASL/deafness.
We (my kids and I) developed an ASL app for younger children so they learn at their own pace. ASL kids.
Im putting a website together with sign language for kids resources. Just started filling it. I hope to find tips in this community and I'm curious about your story.

Thanks!

Welcome! :wave:

That's terrific that you've decided to communicate with your son with ASL. Is he profoundly deaf? Just curious. Anyway, kudos to you and your wife for not finding a 'cure' for his hearing loss and forcing him to be 'hearing like'. :dance2:

I love that when you found out he was deaf you learned sign instead of finding a 'cure'. Welcome :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I actually know of quite a few HOH (both audilogically and functionally) people who grew up oral and in the mainstream. They had dhh kids. Guess what happened? ALL of them decided for adding ASL/Sign and attendance at a Deaf School!

I actually know of quite a few HOH (both audilogically and functionally) people who grew up oral and in the mainstream. They had dhh kids. Guess what happened? ALL of them decided for adding ASL/Sign and attendance at a Deaf School!

Hi there...

Pretty sure you know me too...

Hi there...

Pretty sure you know me too...

LOL. I know. But you're not exactly young. When you were young it was unusual for kids to be mainstreamed. In the generations since, it's been the opposite (kneejerk mainstreaming with even placement in a dhh program pretty rare)

LOL. I know. But you're not exactly young. When you were young it was unusual for kids to be mainstreamed. In the generations since, it's been the opposite (kneejerk mainstreaming with even placement in a dhh program pretty rare)

Not here. We have very good dhh magnet programs with ASL.

I have two kids with progressive loss. I did not send them to deaf schools.

Now some of the grandchildren also have loss. They do not attend deaf schools.

I have done both dhh programs and mainstreaming, and I still know plenty of people like me.

I wouldn't bother to recite all this again, but I would like to see a more balanced view presented for people who don't know.

Oh, and when I was young, it was not unusual I was at the forefront with lots of people being mainstreamed. Bebonang is much older than me, and was also in a large group of mainstreamed students.

Back