Hi! New here :)

chelseautie82

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new on this site. I'm hearing and was born with autism was nonverbal most of my childhood and signed as a kid. My teachers wouldn't let me and would tie my hands behind my back so I couldn't sign. They thought that would make me talk I guess. I do talk now but prefer to sign. Still not fluent in ASL. Genetic late deafening runs in my family and my grandpa was late deafened by age 40 and my mom is now late deafened. Neither of them learned to sign. I have a lot of auditory processing issues and had 4 sets of tubes in my ears, a lot of trouble with my hearing, lots of hearing tests. At one point they thought I had Menieres but I have seizures too so it's probably brain related rather than ear related. Doctors still don't know why I have trouble with my hearing sometimes. Anyway, I love signing and want to be fluent in ASL. My mom is finally starting to sign with me reluctantly. I've been on social security for a while and I just got accepted to an ASL interpreter program in Chicago so I'll be moving there in August! *Happy dance* I'm hoping maybe I can become fluent in signing and use the hearing I have to do something productive. I really just want to make friends and immerse myself in deaf culture and community and improve my signing. I'm horrible with technology but if anyone is interested in signing or being a skype buddy. That would be cool. :) I need practice!

Hi Chelsea,

Congratulations on getting into the interpreting program! And good that your mom is finally starting to sign with you.

Welcome to AllDeaf:)

Back