Hi, my name is Sheri

sheri363

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I didn't know this site even existed! I stumbled upon it yesterday purely by accident when I was googling to see if there's any mind boggling advances made in hearing aids. You see I'm not thrilled with my current aid because there's so much distortion in spoken speech. My hearing used to be in the moderate hanging close to severe range and now it has deteriorated into the severe to profound range. The other ear? Nah forget it. It's hopeless so why stick a HA in it huh? Anyhow I'm joining this forum to say hi.

Hi!

Introduce myself?

Education?

Ok. Ontario School for the Deaf (Belleville). OSD for short. Before you go and google this, this is the former name of the residential deaf school till 1973 so this should give you an inkling that I'm kinda old... a little old lol! Not that old! :) Anyhow I first started as a 6 year old live-in student in the mid 60s and 'tolerated' or rather 'survived' my time there (first 3 years as a full timer and the following 3 years as a day student).

Next is HOH class created by my dad in his elementary school. 1 year.

The HOH class was then moved to a different school which was a elementary/jr high school. 3 yrs. This is when I was introduced to mainstreaming starting in grade 7.

Next is high school in which I was fully integrated/mainstreamed starting in grade 9. By that time I was 2 years older than most of the grade nine kids. I lied and told them I was 1 year younger! I was different enough and I sure as heck didn't want to add to that! Anyway after 5 years I graduated with grade 13 academic diploma. Back then it was grade 9 to 13 before grade 13 was dropped. Additionally I want to add that mainstreaming aint fun to say the least.

Only 2 others from my HOH class made the jump to the high school. One lasted for 2 years. The other didn't make it through the first year. Both of them enrolled in the general program. The remaining HOH students went back to OSD for the senior schooling. I'm not going to disclose too much about my time in the hearing high school other than saying that sports saved my life. Thank god for sports huh?

What do I like to do? I like sports! The team kind such as baseball and basketball. Go Jays! Go Raptors! Oh yeah I like to read too.

Did I say hi?

Hi everybody!

welcome to Alldeaf :)

I am Canadian :)

nice to meet to you!

Hello, from Iowa. Aside from three of the elementary years spent at home, my educational background is very similar to yours.

However, I absolutely did not excel at sports!

Hello, from Iowa. Aside from three of the elementary years spent at home, my educational background is very similar to yours.

However, I absolutely did not excel at sports!

Hello! You're an Iowan! Fantastic! I'm pleased to meet you too!

I know what you mean about sports helping to fit in school. I spent the whole year in one sport or another so got to know more people that way. Thought your sport would have been hockey though

I know what you mean about sports helping to fit in school. I spent the whole year in one sport or another so got to know more people that way. Thought your sport would have been hockey though

It might very well have been but girls weren't allowed to play hockey on boys' teams back then. :(

welcome to Alldeaf! (btw there's Naida peeps lurking around here too)

Haha yes I do rock one Naida and am looking forward to meeting those Naida peeps! I'm in the market for a new aid though and have stumbled across Widex Super440. Expensive though! Thank god for free trials! Anybody here wearing this model?

Haha yes I do rock one Naida and am looking forward to meeting those Naida peeps! I'm in the market for a new aid though and have stumbled across Widex Super440. Expensive though! Thank god for free trials! Anybody here wearing this model?
Here is a link to our main Widex booster's thoughts.
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/111589-widex-clear-prices.html#post2182727

Lau2046 I paid $6,150.00 for the pair of my Fusion (Clear) 440 but that price came with all the Dex features so those weren't extra. Prices will vary from state to state so you won't find an exact figure of costs unless we have more than a few from FL willing to voice what they paid. You might try the hearing aid forum since they're are few wearing Widex here. Widex is top of the line and it won't go down for government agencies like the VA. Your insurance (or his) may pay for half or all so do look into that. What your audi was asking seems reasonable, yes. It's not cheap, but it is worth every cent. This is the best I've heard since I lost my analog hearing aids and I'll buy them again to up grade once my insurance lets me. Thankfully by that time, my insurance should cover a good part, if not most. I paid $6k out of pocket having blown my coverage on Starkey which did nothing, and no, I'm not rich....

I have Phonak Naida, and am completely turned off Widex due to the elitist attitude displayed above.

Thanks for the link Bottesini!

That particular Widex in the link is not the line that I'm considering. I'm looking at the Super line which is I think a step below the Clear line. I don't want the Cadillac version as I can't afford it (it appears to be more than $3,100 just for one aid?!?!). Granted I have no clue as to how much the Super440 aid is but as I said there's a free trial and besides I like trying things out for free! :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. So you live in Nova Scotia.

I was born and raised in United States until I move here 18 years ago coming into Canada. My ancestors were from Quebec and North of Ontario. I have some friends (natives and few whites) of mine who went to (Belleville) Ontario School for the Deaf. As for me, I was mainstreamed in both elementary and high school in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. There were no ASL back then. That was way back between 1955 to 1966. I hate oral method and still do. I learned to sign when I was 20 years old. I felt much better being in the Deaf Communities.

I am planning on moving back to USA to be with my family as I am old lady of 67 years old. Family is important. I would love to stay in Canada very much but family come first.

So I hope you enjoy being here on AD. Have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. So you live in Nova Scotia.

I was born and raised in United States until I move here 18 years ago coming into Canada. My ancestors were from Quebec and North of Ontario. I have some friends (natives and few whites) of mine who went to (Belleville) Ontario School for the Deaf. As for me, I was mainstreamed in both elementary and high school in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. There were no ASL back then. That was way back between 1955 to 1966. I hate oral method and still do. I learned to sign when I was 20 years old. I felt much better being in the Deaf Communities.

I am planning on moving back to USA to be with my family as I am old lady of 67 years old. Family is important. I would love to stay in Canada very much but family come first.

So I hope you enjoy being here on AD. Have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

:wave: right back at ya Bebonang! I hear you! I'm now at this age where I'm yearning to move back to Ontario to be near family. I've learned ASL when I was at OSD but unfortunately I'm now quite rusty in it. I still remember some of the descriptive signs such as MacDonalds, Ponderosa, etc. :lol:

Back