Hi my name is Bridgett

wishiwashi7

Reaction score
Like I said in my profile I'm currently studying to become an Interpreter. I just started taking my first ASL class so I'm not quite there yet but I'm learning everyday! The reason I decided to do ASL is because I've always wanted to help people with special needs. I myself have special needs, I have Cerebral Palsy. Since I was 15 I always wanted to help others who needed it. I figured I've got so much help through life why not pass it on?

Hello there. So your CP isn't going to affect your signing ability if you plan to work as and interpreter?

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Well, this is the first CP to become an interpreter. Just hope Deaf can understand what you say in sign. I used to have Deaf couple from California who have CP and I can read their signs very well. No problem. They have two boys (normal, no CP) all grown up and probably married already with kids . :dunno:

Just relax and have fun with us reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

wow um that second to last one was weeeeeeird 0_o, but yeah I have a mild case of CP I still walk with canes and wear braces but I can use my hands pretty well it still sometimes takes me longer then some because me hands get kinda spastic I hope when I shadow someone thats deaf theyll understand I cant sign fast.

Maybe look into educational interpreting (ie for a Hoh/Deaf student who is in k-5) as signing speed isn't such a HUGE thing (most of the time) in that setting.

Interpreters for university, conferences or any setting where a speaker is talking basically constantly for 10-40mins at a time do need interpreters who are able to sign quickly.

I think that you'd find educational interpreting for younger students to be a "good fit" though :)

Just an idea...
I know that you are "just getting started", however it might be helpful to see if any of the local schools in your area have a Hoh/Deaf/SI student in the k-5 age range who has a licensed, certified ASL interpreter. Ask if - once they get settled back into the school routine - if you might be able to come an observe a few times (say for an hour or so at a time) to see how it works etc.

P.S. If you are very very new to ASL - you may actaully find that practising ASL helps with the spasticity (I have a Deaf friend with CP who mentioned this once to a hearing person who wanted to take ASL but wasn't sure if she "could" because she has CP which mildly effects her hands). Just remember to take it easy, and not "over do it" as it may cause your hands to cramp up or feel more spastic.

One really good exercise to do is slowly fingerspelling the alphabet throughout the day. Start with once four times a day (morning, noon, night &bed, Then eight (twice per time), then twelve (three per time). DON'T worry about going "fast", rather focus on being as "smooth" as possible (even if it means going very slowly). Only increase speed if you can increase AND stay smooth :)

It really really helps !!

FWIW - I had to relearn how to fingerspell and sign after a car accident in which I became mildly disabled (mild c4 damage, nerve damage/compression & peripheral neuropathy, global muscle weakness & slight atrophy in the arms, osteoarthritis, shoulder & back injury, localized chronic myofascial pain, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia - on top of pre-existing conditions including severe Raynaud's, mild Gilbert's, carpal tunnel & ulnar nerve compression, hyper-mobility, hip & knee joint issues etc)

Last edited:
thanks everyone for the warm welcome and thank you to Anij for the advice and me ASLstudent I would love to practice with someone. do u have skype?

Back