Hi, lots of question to help out my daughter.

RichardLeBaron

Reaction score
First time posting, just found this website today. My eleven year old daughter suffers from hard of hearing or deaf, sorry her diagnosis escapes me at the moment. Basically, she uses hearing aids in order to hear. She cannot hear a lot she struggles sometimes. Depends on how loud the rest of the area is or the pitch, like she hears me most of the time but not my wife. She got an electronic keyboard for Christmas that she just loves, but has to have all the way up all the time to hear it. So I am looking into some sort of headphones option for her, not just for the keyboard but her Kindle, the TV, and PC. I talked with her Doc, and she mentioned TecEar. I guess they hook into the hearing aids and work well but they have to be plugged into the device. That works for the keyboard, kindle, and PC. But is there anyway to take that technology and get it to work for the TV, without buying something else?
Now I have a headset Me and my son use for games on the PC. She told me that she likes those and they do not hurt her when she uses them with her hearing aids. But would the TecEar stuff be better? The doc said it would, but I kinda want a second opinion. Hence why I am here. The doc said to get these.
Music Link T-coil Inductive, Stereo Ear Hooks for iPod, MP3 audio.

Are those best or should I actually look into just regular soft bulky over the ear wireless headphones for her?

Or, should I get something like those things that hand around the neck? Only thing I see about those is she hates, I mean hates the ear buds, or anything that goes in her ear.

Also, how do most deaf or sever hard of hearing enjoy movies at theaters since there are no captions? Last time she went was when we saw Despicable Me. The theater gave her some headphones but they did not help much. Now she could hear she said but she told me she would rather wait until the DVD or Blu ray for captions.

Also one last thing I swear :D. Since I am a father of a deaf child I really get upset when things are not captioned, but not just that I watch TV with her and a lot of the caption are really really bad. Sometimes they skip words or use words that do not make sense. Is this the stations fault, the cable receiver's fault, the company who made the program's fault, or is it some unknown force or person I am not aware of in the chain. Is there anyway to fix it?

Sorry for the long post just no one in my area who is deaf or uses hearings aids to hear that I can talk to. her doctor is really nice but is busy. Preemptive thanks for any one who can help me.

RichardLeBaron said:
First time posting, just found this website today. My eleven year old daughter suffers from hard of hearing or deaf, sorry her diagnosis escapes me at the moment. Basically, she uses hearing aids in order to hear. She cannot hear a lot she struggles sometimes. Depends on how loud the rest of the area is or the pitch, like she hears me most of the time but not my wife. She got an electronic keyboard for Christmas that she just loves, but has to have all the way up all the time to hear it. So I am looking into some sort of headphones option for her, not just for the keyboard but her Kindle, the TV, and PC. I talked with her Doc, and she mentioned TecEar. I guess they hook into the hearing aids and work well but they have to be plugged into the device. That works for the keyboard, kindle, and PC. But is there anyway to take that technology and get it to work for the TV, without buying something else?
Now I have a headset Me and my son use for games on the PC. She told me that she likes those and they do not hurt her when she uses them with her hearing aids. But would the TecEar stuff be better? The doc said it would, but I kinda want a second opinion. Hence why I am here. The doc said to get these.
Music Link T-coil Inductive, Stereo Ear Hooks for iPod, MP3 audio.

Are those best or should I actually look into just regular soft bulky over the ear wireless headphones for her?

Or, should I get something like those things that hand around the neck? Only thing I see about those is she hates, I mean hates the ear buds, or anything that goes in her ear.

Also, how do most deaf or sever hard of hearing enjoy movies at theaters since there are no captions? Last time she went was when we saw Despicable Me. The theater gave her some headphones but they did not help much. Now she could hear she said but she told me she would rather wait until the DVD or Blu ray for captions.

Also one last thing I swear . Since I am a father of a deaf child I really get upset when things are not captioned, but not just that I watch TV with her and a lot of the caption are really really bad. Sometimes they skip words or use words that do not make sense. Is this the stations fault, the cable receiver's fault, the company who made the program's fault, or is it some unknown force or person I am not aware of in the chain. Is there anyway to fix it?

Sorry for the long post just no one in my area who is deaf or uses hearings aids to hear that I can talk to. her doctor is really nice but is busy. Preemptive thanks for any one who can help me.

Hi, I was HOH (hard of hearing) before I became deaf as I am now, and hearing aids never helped me that much either. I'm assuming that your daughter wears the over the ear style aids like I did. Now you said that she says she likes the earphones. I really think you should buy her one of those padded earphones if her aid isn't prone to whistling when covered. I know there is something you can plug in the tv that goes to the headphones..I'll find out. When you go to a movie, tell them you are deaf & need captions. My local theater has these in certain days of the week. Usually you have to wait a week after the movie comes out. Also for the lousy captions on the tv shows, you need to email them & remind them it's the law to have proper captions as per se the FCC. You may have to contact the FCC.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Do you know at all what kind of hearing loss your daughter have, and
what her audiogram looks like?

Is it possible for you to scan/post part of her audiogram without revealing her name
and other whereabouts?

It would helps us to get the better idea how you daughter hears and
what appliances possibly would be useful for her.

Fuzzy

Back