Hi! Learning ASL & Need Questions Answered About Deaf Culture

Morenita127

Reaction score
Today was my first day of class and found out my teacher was deaf. I was surprised and wondered how I was gonna learn if I couldn't hear him or he couldn't hear me. He had a translator for today only and said there is a place called ASL Cafe in San Francisco I could go to practice. As of right now I can only finger spell.

I just want to know is what is considered impolite to do in front of people who can't hear? I wouldn't want to offend anyone the first time I go to an event. Thank you.

Do not use your voice :D especially when signing.

There's a book called "For Hearing People Only". Theres a thread here on the board about it, from the few clips of the book I got to read it sounds like a good book to add to your library. It has FAQ that the hearing ask the deaf and info on the culture and everything. I'm hearing as well and plan on purchasing the book here soon. Good luck with your ASL journey and btw... :welcome: to AD

I'n just like your teacher since I'm deaf myself (almost but close to S/P loss)
LOL well ASL is always fun 2 learn :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Just sign in front of the Deaf person (voice off) and don't cover your mouth. Also don't turn away if you still have something to say to the Deaf person. Relax and enjoy making conversation in ASL.

Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Welcome to AllDeaf!
Which part in SF ? I know several ASL social around in SF/Bay Area, which one did your teacher referred you to?

I think a friend of mine is in the same class because he told me the exact same thing yesterday. He also lives in the San Francisco area.

I told to learn how to fingerspell and the basics before the next class.

You are more likely to learn ASL much faster from a deaf person than from a hearing person.

Back