Hi...Late Deafened Person

Zesty, somewhere near the top of this page, she said she was late-deafened in her 20's.

zesty said:
and you are deaf?? :dunno:[/QUOT

I am Profound HOH in fact I will be going to be fitted for my HA's tomorrow
I also got by through reading lips. Yes and I am a very good nurse @ that. My only problem is communicating with my co-workers because the do not have the patiance of my not being able to hear them well.

I never Stopped anything I had done b4 loosing my hearing, I have to work 3 times as hard to keep up with it, but I do. I have lost my hearing in my Right ear no doubt about that and now I have Mild to moderate loss in the left. to hear my Audiologist tell me that I will be loosing more is very scary for me. I have never told anyone because I never saw a need for it. I do not have support here with me or really anyone to talk to about it. I am alone. But for as long as I can hear sound and read lips, make out some words, I am taking full advantage of the hearing I do have. It bothers me when I can not hear my alarm clock in the mornings it goes for @ least an hour sometimes b4 I hear it. I miss so many phone calls because @ times I do not hear the phone. I have had notes left on my door saying I stopped by and I did not hear the door. I am a nurse but I work very hard @ it but I am not sure for how much longer though. Hoping that My HA's will help a great deal.

it an everyday struggle for me right now. I sit here alone in my silance not knowing what to expect next.

Last edited:
Myheartloves said:
zesty said:
and you are deaf?? :dunno:[/QUOT

I am Profound HOH in fact I will be going to be fitted for my HA's tomorrow
I also got by through reading lips. Yes and I am a very good nurse @ that. My only problem is communicating with my co-workers because the do not have the patiance of my not being able to hear them well.

GOOD LUCK!! you will do just fine! smile..

Myheartloves said:
I never Stopped anything I had done b4 loosing my hearing, I have to work 3 times as hard to keep up with it, but I do. I have lost my hearing in my Right ear no doubt about that and now I have Mild to moderate loss in the left. to hear my Audiologist tell me that I will be loosing more is very scary for me. I have never told anyone because I never saw a need for it. I do not have support here with me or really anyone to talk to about it. I am alone. But for as long as I can hear sound and read lips, make out some words, I am taking full advantage of the hearing I do have. It bothers me when I can not hear my alarm clock in the mornings it goes for @ least an hour sometimes b4 I hear it. I miss so many phone calls because @ times I do not hear the phone. I have had notes left on my door saying I stopped by and I did not hear the door. I am a nurse but I work very hard @ it but I am not sure for how much longer though. Hoping that My HA's will help a great deal.

hate to say this.. but eventually you will have to tell people that you are gradually losing your hearing so they can understand what is happening to you instead of making assumptions about you.. if you get my drift.. you have support here.. and once you get over your shock and overwhelming ordeal.. you can go out and meet other deafies with the same peers as yours. ;)

as for the alarm clock, phone and door bell... you can purchase a vibrating alarm clock.. it is no different than a regular alarm clock.. except it is attacked to a small device that will go under your mattress.. (it will vibrate to wake you up as the alarm goes off), there are lights that flash for phones and doorbells as they ring .. these items are very costly.. which is outrageous.. but it will be worthwhile for you..

which state are you in?? cuz some states have small stores that sell these items.. otherwise you will need to order them online .. ill have to find the links for those.. please let me know!! you will be JUST FINE!! HANG IN THERE GIRL!! ;)

I worked at a hospital for 6 years. The bosses were clueless about Deaf. One time I got a phone call to interpret in the ER even though I was only in ASL 2 class at the time. I told them, "NO".

Good luck working there or whereever you wind up at next. I've been taking college classes for 10 years and have heard many awful stories about Deaf and doctors or hospitals. It is terrible that even ADA hasn't helped the Deaf get proper medical care that they need and deserve. I'm going to stop now.

zesty said:
hate to say this.. but eventually you will have to tell people that you are gradually losing your hearing so they can understand what is happening to you instead of making assumptions about you.. if you get my drift.. you have support here.. and once you get over your shock and overwhelming ordeal.. you can go out and meet other deafies with the same peers as yours. ;)

as for the alarm clock, phone and door bell... you can purchase a vibrating alarm clock.. it is no different than a regular alarm clock.. except it is attacked to a small device that will go under your mattress.. (it will vibrate to wake you up as the alarm goes off), there are lights that flash for phones and doorbells as they ring .. these items are very costly.. which is outrageous.. but it will be worthwhile for you..

which state are you in?? cuz some states have small stores that sell these items.. otherwise you will need to order them online .. ill have to find the links for those.. please let me know!! you will be JUST FINE!! HANG IN THERE GIRL!! ;)

I live in San Diego California
waiting on the deaf community services to call me back as we speak. looking for help to get my aids.

Myheartloves said:
I live in San Diego California
waiting on the deaf community services to call me back as we speak. looking for help to get my aids.

there are AD members that are from that area... i forget who.. so hopefully they will read this thread and help you out cuz i dont know much about the SD area and their services but i do know they have a big deaf community there though and LA as well .. so you are just in luck! smile..

Introduction

I'm new to this board and am still trying to figure out some of the details. Since this boards is to introduce myself, here goes.

I'm an "older" college student and have been taking college classes for 10 years. For the last seven years, I taken more ASL and Deaf culture classes than I can count. It has been a real struggle trying to go to school and work at the same time. Waiting fifteen years to go to college was a BIG mistake.

I've met many Deaf people at school and events, but have not had much time to socialize because of my work schedule. This means that my skills aren't as good as other students and I've repeated classes for extra practice.

I should finish the last class that I need for my TWO year degree in May. After that I hope to get a job with one of the local school districts as a teacher's aide or resource teacher for the Deaf. I've spent the last two semesters tutoring a math class for Deaf students and it has been a real eye opener. I hope that I can help in some way since many Deaf students have not got the education that they need to make it out in the real world. McD's and Wally World are not enough.

aikifrodogrrl said:
Hi,

I'm new. I started losing my hearing when I was young cuz of a high fever when I had chicken pox. There is much hearing loss in my family too. However my parents would not get me hearing aids. Now I am an adult and have lost more hearing. I am getting HA's next week. (Phonak Amio ITEs to try maybe getting more powerful BTE's later).

I am nervous about eventually going deaf. I dont think deaf is bad or anything. Its just a bit scarey for me. Luckily I have taken four terms of ASL and can communicate pretty good. Mostly, I feel between worlds. I feel kind of lost. My parents are mad at me for learning sign and getting hearing aids. It makes me sad.

I just dont where I belong. Anyways thanks for letting me vent :)

If you are over 18, your parent can't do nothing with you but only support your decisons. That s good thing that you learned ASL class. U can visit Deaf Club in your area to meet new friends and maybe they willing to help you to understand deaf cluture, more learn signs, and to have social with them. U can be between worlds as Hearing and Deaf if you feel comfortable. Or you can call VR or DVR to ask and find out more about deaf events. All you have to be YOURSELF! :) Keep your chin up! :hug:
Mommyof3

ITPjohn said:
I'm new to this board and am still trying to figure out some of the details. Since this boards is to introduce myself, here goes.

I'm an "older" college student and have been taking college classes for 10 years. For the last seven years, I taken more ASL and Deaf culture classes than I can count. It has been a real struggle trying to go to school and work at the same time. Waiting fifteen years to go to college was a BIG mistake.

I've met many Deaf people at school and events, but have not had much time to socialize because of my work schedule. This means that my skills aren't as good as other students and I've repeated classes for extra practice.

I should finish the last class that I need for my TWO year degree in May. After that I hope to get a job with one of the local school districts as a teacher's aide or resource teacher for the Deaf. I've spent the last two semesters tutoring a math class for Deaf students and it has been a real eye opener. I hope that I can help in some way since many Deaf students have not got the education that they need to make it out in the real world. McD's and Wally World are not enough.

going to college 15 yrs later.. a big mistake?? why would you say that??
i went to college for 6 yrs.. but never got a degree.. stopped schooling for about 6 yrs.. then back in 1999, i went back to school at the age of 30 and finally got my friggin' BFA which is worthless.. (sigh) oh well!!

but anyway.. to be honest... taking classes to keep up with your asl skills wont do you any good.. you NEED TO BE EXPOSED to asl with people.. cuz taking classes is a waste of money, time and you will forget what you have learned too... it is like taking a stastistics class for one semester for instance .. then you forget what you have learned after you have taken the class.. right?? it is the same thing with ASL... i never took asl classes.. it took me about 4 yrs to become fluent in asl with practice and exposure to it with the other deaf people... hope i am making sense?? ;) :cheers:

zesty said:
going to college 15 yrs later.. a big mistake?? why would you say that??
i went to college for 6 yrs.. but never got a degree.. stopped schooling for about 6 yrs.. then back in 1999, i went back to school at the age of 30 and finally got my friggin' BFA which is worthless.. (sigh) oh well!!

but anyway.. to be honest... taking classes to keep up with your asl skills wont do you any good.. you NEED TO BE EXPOSED to asl with people.. cuz taking classes is a waste of money, time and you will forget what you have learned too... it is like taking a stastistics class for one semester for instance .. then you forget what you have learned after you have taken the class.. right?? it is the same thing with ASL... i never took asl classes.. it took me about 4 yrs to become fluent in asl with practice and exposure to it with the other deaf people... hope i am making sense?? ;) :cheers:

How would someone learn if they do not know what is being said. I it hard to pick up on asl?

Myheartloves said:
How would someone learn if they do not know what is being said. I it hard to pick up on asl?

there are many oralists out there who know sign.. they can help you get through.. some ppl say learning asl is easy.. some say it is hard..

it was hard for me to SIGN, like i said in my previous post, it took me 4 yrs to become fluent.. even though it was easy for me to comprehend what they were get across to me.. if you dig me??

ever hear of THE HOUSE OF EAR INSTITUTE (something like that-- cant recall the exact name of it.. as it has been years since i was there last) in LA??

I repeated classes because I felt that I couldn't go to next level. My program at school has ASL 1-6. Better to get some practice than to forget everything. I had Deaf teachers and other Deaf in ASL lab, but little time to socialize because of work schedule.

Working evenings or all night meant that I sometimes went to class with 4-5 hours sleep in day and a half. Tough to remember everything if half asleep. Decided to stay in school and keep trying. I tell classmates that if you don't like professor try getting a job with boss who is real a**.

Back