Hi. It's been awhile!

Pinky: Thanks! The Deaf community isn't actually what I'm worried about. It's more of me hoping that the 2nd CI will work just as well, or hell even better than the 1st CI. The Dr. kinda scared me when he said that there are different possibilties, as in the 2nd CI might not work as well as my 1st CI, or I may not even like it, or I may prefer my new CI over the old CI, or best of all, I may like both CI's just the same, which is what I'm hoping for. Plus, the risk of death still scares me. There's always that risk at every surgery we all have, no matter how minor the surgery is! I have two young childdren so dying on them while trying to get a 2nd CI seems selfish as hell, yanno? :(

So far, none of the Deaf people has really said anything mean to me, as far as I know but if they ever do, I will be quick to remind especially the ones I grew up with or have known a long time, that they all know that I was literally almost the only one out of all of us [at school] who could hear well my hearing aids, who could speak well, speak on the phone, and stuff like that, and loves hearing out of both ears so it's only natural for me to be a CI'er. I am a CI'er who still uses ASL, so that isn't going to change. I am still a CI'er who is still proud to be Deaf! I am thankful for the times and nights when I get to take off my CI and have some peace and quiet, especially when my husband is sleeping next to me, snoring loudly!!! Hehe. :)

deafmama, that's very good......just remmy that back when hearing aids were first being popularized, a lot of HA folks prolly had to deal with extremists too. I bet you anything in five or ten years, the CI debate is gonna be DEAD.

deaffdyke: Call me crazy but I think the deaf community accepted hearing aids a lil bit better because most of us were forced to wear it in preschool-elemtentary school then in junior high we had a choice wheter to wear 'em or not. I choose to wear my own HAs everyday while most of the deafies I grew up choose not to wear theirs as it didn't benefit them like my HA did me.

I would they they're just having a harder time accepting CI's as a tool 'cause of the whole surgery thing and the whole crazy idea of them thinking deafness will one day die, or ASL will one day die. Crazy. It'll be around FOREVER!

deaffdyke: Call me crazy but I think the deaf community accepted hearing aids a lil bit better because most of us were forced to wear it in preschool-elemtentary school then in junior high we had a choice wheter to wear 'em or not. I choose to wear my own HAs everyday while most of the deafies I grew up choose not to wear theirs as it didn't benefit them like my HA did me.

I would they they're just having a harder time accepting CI's as a tool 'cause of the whole surgery thing and the whole crazy idea of them thinking deafness will one day die, or ASL will one day die. Crazy. It'll be around FOREVER!

I agree with you. I don't think Deaf culture or ASL will die out. Look at how many people here aren't implanted. Look at how many people here use ASL. Look at how many hearing people are learning ASL. Look at how many Deaf/HOH people are learing ASL later in life! Deaf culture and ASL are here to stay!

Back