hi! i'm writing a children's book....

sherri

Reaction score
Hi! Im writing a childrens book. I'm not hearing imaired or deaf. In this book the sister and brother meet a deaf child for the first time. They don't know how to deal with it. Later they find themslves in a world of " no noise". I would GRATLY appriciate it if you would give me some ideas about what is is like to not hear anything, so I can decibe theis part of my book so peple will understand being deaf. Thanks so much!!! :confused: :kiss:

Sherri...

I am a writer, myself. I find that you have to put yourself in a situation, which I assume that is what you're trying to do by joining this forum. This is a wonderful place, do not misunderstand - but it is not the best for the hands-on, real-life experience and observations you are seeking. Perhaps you can check out local deaf clubs or organizations and see if you can talk to some of the people - at times there may be children there, too. Just a thought. As far as your book - nice idea! I'm all for more and more deaf awareness. It's a very good thing to have nowadays.

Good luck with your writings.
Malfoyish

hi malfoyish!

Malfoyish said:
Sherri...

I am a writer, myself. I find that you have to put yourself in a situation, which I assume that is what you're trying to do by joining this forum. This is a wonderful place, do not misunderstand - but it is not the best for the hands-on, real-life experience and observations you are seeking. Perhaps you can check out local deaf clubs or organizations and see if you can talk to some of the people - at times there may be children there, too. Just a thought. As far as your book - nice idea! I'm all for more and more deaf awareness. It's a very good thing to have nowadays.

Good luck with your writings.
Malfoyish

thanks for the reply, ididn't know if i would be 'welcome' hear or not. how long have you been a writer? I am very new at it on the professional level. I am an artist by profession. thanks again for the idea. i live in a very small town, with no deaf clubs or orgganizations, though my children and i do sign.

sherri said:
thanks for the reply, ididn't know if i would be 'welcome' hear or not. how long have you been a writer? I am very new at it on the professional level. I am an artist by profession. thanks again for the idea. i live in a very small town, with no deaf clubs or orgganizations, though my children and i do sign.

I have been writing for a great deal of my life, but more seriously so in recent years than when I was a teen. Still working on getting some of my work published and marketing things around. It is not an easy profession. I am a fiction writer...or should I say reality fiction? :) Mixed genre, really.

You may also want to check around for clubs or organizations that are in nearby neighboring towns or areas...just one of the down-sides of being suburbian - might have to travel a little to find what you're looking for. I tend to take it for granted sometimes, living in NYC myself. :) You can also check out deaf schools...write some letters, see if you can get some deaf schools to ask some of their more literate children to respond to your inquiries...some kind of a questionnaire or survey, for the purpose of assisting you with your book.

But yes, you are welcome here...this is a great place. Feel free to get to know some of us. We're a nice clan...most of us, anyway! ;)

thanks! yeah, i live in wis, mostly with no towns around, just corn fields! ha but i will try your ideas, thanks again

sherri said:
thanks! yeah, i live in wis, mostly with no towns around, just corn fields! ha but i will try your ideas, thanks again

Very welcome. Try Milwaukee...I also know there's a school for the deaf in Council Bluffs, Iowa as well as around the Omaha area.

Sherri,
First of all, I think it is great that you are a writer. The fact that you are writing about deafness makes you seem even better; deaf awareness is the only way deaf people will be accepted as "normal." One thing I would recommend though, be careful with your grammar and spelling. I mean, we all make mistakes; I am sure you will find some here in my post. It is also true that we all write more casually in forums than in published writing; however, some of your writing mistakes in the posts are beyond simply writing casually. If you sent this type of writing to a potential publisher, you would probably be turned down because you come across as uneducated. Just trying to help!
Keep writing, keep signing, and I hope to see a book with your name on the cover very soon!

Thanks! yes , I know I am a teriable typist! I usually write everything in long hand!ha

Hi Sherri,

I think it's great that you are writing a children book about deafness, I can tell you a bit what it like not hearing a sound, it not a good feelings at all, I missed alot of things that I could never know what it really sounds like, it just a feelings where the world had gone silent, like no one is around us but only you....I would do anything just to hear one sound of a bird singing, the wind blowing, or the waves crashing...but sadly I can't..

Thats what I was afraid of. I'm sorry. It must be awful not to hear a sound. Have you always been deaf? (do you prefer the term Hearing Impaired?) What about music, is there anyway to hear music? Thanks for your reply!!
Sherri

sherri said:
Have you always been deaf? (do you prefer the term Hearing Impaired?) What about music, is there anyway to hear music? Thanks for your reply!!
Sherri

Hi Sherry,

No, I lost my hearing slowly at the age of 5 ( from illness ), I became HOH until I reach my high school years, then I lost my hearing competely....I am able to hear music, loud noises such as banging, thurder, or yelling in the background unless they're right behind me but other sounds that are gentle or more quiet than the others, that I won't be able to hear like phone ringing, door bell, etc...

thanks Angel!

So, you can hear loud noises. If you put on head-phones and turn the volumn up real far, can you hear it? So you mean if som one yells you can hear that? I don't understand. If that would work, why not get a hearing-aid?

Last edited:
Back