Hi I'm new (well to posting at least)

heatherrogers

Reaction score
Hi! I guess I'm new here. I've been a member since 2008 but forgot my password for a long time. Finally figured it out. Anyways, I'm Deaf Ed major at MSU (hearing) but have been signing since about the age of 12, though I was a bit rusty for a while its coming back, and I'm very excited to dive head first into the teaching world next fall with my internship. I just wanted to note though, that I just put up a post regarding MSU's deaf ed program closing and asking for support to protest this decision. On campus we (the deaf ed students) are EXTREMELY upset that MSU is closing not only the deaf ed program but cutting the ASL classes as well, and we need all the support we can get. In a week's time we have already received an immense outpouring from all over the state as well as the country and we're hoping that we will be able to stop this from happening. I'm going to be safe as I am already in the program but there are many others who won't have the opportunity!

If you have any questions either personal or about what is happening at our school feel free to ask. I'm pretty much an open book :) Thanks!
Heather

Hi! I guess I'm new here. I've been a member since 2008 but forgot my password for a long time. Finally figured it out. Anyways, I'm Deaf Ed major at MSU (hearing) but have been signing since about the age of 12, though I was a bit rusty for a while its coming back, and I'm very excited to dive head first into the teaching world next fall with my internship. I just wanted to note though, that I just put up a post regarding MSU's deaf ed program closing and asking for support to protest this decision. On campus we (the deaf ed students) are EXTREMELY upset that MSU is closing not only the deaf ed program but cutting the ASL classes as well, and we need all the support we can get. In a week's time we have already received an immense outpouring from all over the state as well as the country and we're hoping that we will be able to stop this from happening. I'm going to be safe as I am already in the program but there are many others who won't have the opportunity!

If you have any questions either personal or about what is happening at our school feel free to ask. I'm pretty much an open book :) Thanks!
Heather

If you know who she is, ask Jennifer Johnson for help to see what can be done.

Thanks, I'll be meeting with some of the other students in the next day and will see who they have been in contact with as well!

Heather
What criteria are they using to justify the closing of the deaf ed program and the cutting of the ASL classes?

What criteria are they using to justify the closing of the deaf ed program and the cutting of the ASL classes?

The email we received stated finances. I'm not exactly sure though as it was pretty vague and the department has been steadily growing over the past few years. The thing we are surprised about is that while they are closing the ASL program, which is the third most used language in the US, they are keeping much more obscure language departments with much lower enrollment. We are hoping to get some answers very soon.

The email we received stated finances. I'm not exactly sure though as it was pretty vague and the department has been steadily growing over the past few years. The thing we are surprised about is that while they are closing the ASL program, which is the third most used language in the US, they are keeping much more obscure language departments with much lower enrollment. We are hoping to get some answers very soon.
Could it be about supply and demand? Has enrollment dropped in the areas being cut?

In our program, as far as I can tell enrollment has held steady if it hasn't increased. In the Intro to Deaf Ed class there are 19 students this semester. Two years ago I think there were around 10, so interest in the program hasn't decreased to say the least. I think the cut has something to do with research and money but I'm not sure. On the other thread we have going on this topic under Deaf Education, someone posted a letter from written by the heads of the dept. that tries to explain what is happening.

Thanks for the links. I read the letter and it doesn't explain why they are closing the program. Like you said, they tried to explain it but there really is no explanation that I could see. It would be nice to know the real reason behind the decision. Oh well, we may never know. By the way. :welcome:

Thanks for the links. I read the letter and it doesn't explain why they are closing the program. Like you said, they tried to explain it but there really is no explanation that I could see. It would be nice to know the real reason behind the decision. Oh well, we may never know. By the way. :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome :) Yeah thats one of the reasons we're having the rally... We want answers. It just doesn't make sense. I mean I understand we are one of numerous programs being cut, but we just want to know how and why they came about deciding to close our programs. Guess we'll just have to just wait and see if we can get a decent response out of the university.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back