Hi, I'm new (it probably shows)

SimplyMints

Reaction score
Hi. I posted a little bit yesterday, but I just thought I should introduce myself. I've been totally deaf for only a few months, but have been gradually losing my hearing for several years, and wore several different kinds of hearing aids over the years until they serve no purpose. I spent tens of thousands of dollars, desperate to hang on to my ability to listen to and play music, but I've finally lost that ability. I'm still in the early stages of learning ASL, and have only my hearing sister to talk to in it. I use the internet and RTS games to communicate with everybody else I know. I've been a musician all my life, so I'm having to start over and decide what to do with my life. I don't dwell on what I've lost, but look forward to what I have to gain. I just wanted you to know where I stand. Right now, I feel like an infant, just starting life, having to learn to talk, learning a new set of proper behaviour, career choices, everything is different. Even the people in my life are different. Not many have found their friendship with me important enough to learn to communicate with me, so I've been trying to make new friends. Trust me, it's hard when you're as weird as I am :giggle:

hs1ci0.jpg

To AllDeaf!

awww well theres all sorts of weirdos here (including myself) :Pyou are very welcomed here to speak your mind :) you'll find good friends here
soo
WELCOME AND ENJOY YOUR STAY HERE ON AD!

Hi, I'm Dawne, it's nice to meet ya! I admire your attitude and optimism!

Hi and welcome to AD!
Its a new world here in AD and intersting at that hope you enjoy this site. Have fun posting!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Hi. I posted a little bit yesterday, but I just thought I should introduce myself. I've been totally deaf for only a few months, but have been gradually losing my hearing for several years, and wore several different kinds of hearing aids over the years until they serve no purpose. I spent tens of thousands of dollars, desperate to hang on to my ability to listen to and play music, but I've finally lost that ability. I'm still in the early stages of learning ASL, and have only my hearing sister to talk to in it. I use the internet and RTS games to communicate with everybody else I know. I've been a musician all my life, so I'm having to start over and decide what to do with my life. I don't dwell on what I've lost, but look forward to what I have to gain. I just wanted you to know where I stand. Right now, I feel like an infant, just starting life, having to learn to talk, learning a new set of proper behaviour, career choices, everything is different. Even the people in my life are different. Not many have found their friendship with me important enough to learn to communicate with me, so I've been trying to make new friends. Trust me, it's hard when you're as weird as I am :giggle:

We welcome you with open arms!!!

Curious, though... you said you've been a musician all your life and now you're having to start all over. Why? Wasn't Beethoven deaf? He improvised. I'm sure you can, too. Don't give up on the love of your life just because you are deaf; change it to where it'll suit you.

I wish you the best of luck, and always feel free to talk to me whenever you wish.

David

We welcome you with open arms!!!

Curious, though... you said you've been a musician all your life and now you're having to start all over. Why? Wasn't Beethoven deaf? He improvised. I'm sure you can, too. Don't give up on the love of your life just because you are deaf; change it to where it'll suit you.

I wish you the best of luck, and always feel free to talk to me whenever you wish.

David

My mom keeps reminding me of that, and yes, I'm still playing the accordion and the melodica, even though I can't hear myself. I've kept those instruments because they will play on key even though I can't hear myself to make pitch corrections. It isn't what it used to be. My mom still thinks I should keep going back to the doctor and demanding that he restore my hearing, but my doctor explained it to me, and it's simply impossible. Well, for now. I read about an auditory nerve implant that might do the trick, but I really wanna be honest here. Now that I'm deaf and have had a taste of it, I really and honestly don't wanna go back to hearing. Does that seem weird? I don't think my family would understand were I to tell them that, but I wonder if I'm not the only one who feels this way. I just want my family to accept me the way I am instead of insisting I have something wrong with me that needs to be fixed when even my doctor tells me it's impossible. I've gone through and calculated that I've spent $30,000 of my own hard-earned money on my hearing, and I think that's enough. I think it's time to quit. I'm learning ASL, and it's coming very easily, and my sister is learning it with me even though she's hearing. I think I've got it made if only my FAMILY will just let it go and let me be who and what I am.

Welcome to AD,of course Ad is a friendly deaf communtity. Best of luck and happy posting.

My mom keeps reminding me of that, and yes, I'm still playing the accordion and the melodica, even though I can't hear myself. I've kept those instruments because they will play on key even though I can't hear myself to make pitch corrections. It isn't what it used to be. My mom still thinks I should keep going back to the doctor and demanding that he restore my hearing, but my doctor explained it to me, and it's simply impossible. Well, for now. I read about an auditory nerve implant that might do the trick, but I really wanna be honest here. Now that I'm deaf and have had a taste of it, I really and honestly don't wanna go back to hearing. Does that seem weird? I don't think my family would understand were I to tell them that, but I wonder if I'm not the only one who feels this way. I just want my family to accept me the way I am instead of insisting I have something wrong with me that needs to be fixed when even my doctor tells me it's impossible. I've gone through and calculated that I've spent $30,000 of my own hard-earned money on my hearing, and I think that's enough. I think it's time to quit. I'm learning ASL, and it's coming very easily, and my sister is learning it with me even though she's hearing. I think I've got it made if only my FAMILY will just let it go and let me be who and what I am.

That is what happen when we were being put through by hearing people and hearing parents to make us hear like them. We have tried telling them many times over and over that it is really impossible for us to hear and to expect us to lipread when we could not read very well. That is why we want ASL very much and it extremely helps us understand better with ASL than lipreading or speechreading. Now you know how we all feel when everyone of your family want you to become hearing again. We know the feeling that they would just leave us the way we are as is and nothing they can do to make us hear. It is really sad that hearing people want and dream of us being hearing instead of Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Like your doctor said "It is impossible for you to hear again while your family demand that your doctor make you hear again. Also we have this battle with AGB (Alexander Graham Bell) who insisted and still insisting that we must learn to speak and lipread, no ASL. That is a cruel way to punish us Deafies and Hard of Hearing to do that. We were very upset when we don't have the accommodation that we need like ASL interpreters and notetakers, etc. Geez. :roll:

Welcome to AllDeaf!! I too just recently lost me hearing so I know what you're going through. I am the only one in my family to be this way. I too am just learning ASL and I am working hard at it.

Good luck and the guys, gals, & whatevers are really great here.
:wave::giggle:

Welcome to the site, it really seems like an awesome community. I'm new as well but I'm sure we'll both fit in ;)

Back