hi, i'm new here

Frost

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just thought i'd introduce myself. My name is Dyra and the love of my life is deaf. We've been together for 3 years and we are thinking of marriage somewhere down the road. We've faced many challenges and realise that we still have many more to go through before we can marry.

I'm new to the whole forum thing and I dont' know anyone who are in hearing/deaf relationships so i was hoping to get to know some people talk about stuff and hopefully learn some things about my boyfriend as i go along (i want to support him and i'm trying my best to find out as much as i can about his hearing impairment) so if anyone could help me or would like to talk to me that would be nice! :)

-Dyra

:wave: welcome to AD Dyra -- enjoy ur stay! :D

yes there are members here who are in a deaf/hearie relationships or marriages -- im sure they can give u some thoughts :D

Hey Frost, welcome to AD!

I always like to see that the hearing person with a deaf partner taking a great interest in becoming familiar with Deaf Culture/Community because it will help strengthen the relationship and reduce misunderstandings, etc.

Enjoy posting away!!

:P :thumb:

Welcome to AD! Enjoy your stay!

I am in hearing/deaf relationship with a hearing woman who can sign language pretty good (she's a interpreter) as well.

Curious, how do you communicate with your deaf boyfriend? ASL? Lip-reading? SEE? or ?

Hi Frost,

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here ;)

Magatsu said:
Welcome to AD! Enjoy your stay!

I am in hearing/deaf relationship with a hearing woman who can sign language pretty good (she's a interpreter) as well.

Curious, how do you communicate with your deaf boyfriend? ASL? Lip-reading? SEE? or ?

neither of us know how to SL so he lipreads he speaks to me in response..of course all the other ways of communicating aside from hearing is pretty much open ;)

Ah... Hope I didn't offend you guys when I ask you a question but why not you guys take some courses in ASL? Or your boyfriend/you prefer to communicate thru lip-reading?

i joined a signing club in elementary school that never flew..and i dont' really know how to go about learing SL while he and i are still occupied making something of ourselves.. perhaps when things settle down in our lives we'll thinka bout it.. besides.. i would do it if he was starting to find lip reading tiring i asked him about it but he says he preffers lip reading. i'm up for the challenge though. is it a must that we both take the SL classes?

No, you guys don't have to take SL classes if you guys feel that you guys don't need it... but it will make everything easier for you than lip-reading... but again, that's my opinion. Well, if you don't have any communication problem then you guys can stick with what you guys did so far.

It is your call, really.

Last edited:
Welcome to AD.. i'm also in deaf/hearing relationship, although i sign, but my girlfriend signs a little bit, but she's learning a little bit through time
However, I still use my voice to talk and lipreading with her more than i sign.

Enjoy learning things around here :cool:

:wave: Welcome to Alldeaf Frost! You'll find specific forums here that will perhaps be of interest and helpful...Enjoy your stay!! :)

Back