Hi I'm new! Anyone with SSD and a BAHA?

Levonian - the link isn't working. I'll try it again tomorrow.

Tiara - He said he'd do it! I'm pretty surprised so we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes!

I have an appointment for Monday to have my audiogram and determine if I'm a candidate. Also to find out about price. They told me if I'm self pay, I can ask for a discount. My dad (who was going to help me out with $$) seems unsure now that it's come down to it. He thinks I'm rushing into it. I tried to explain that I have to find out if I am a candidate before I can do anything - so why not find out? If I'm a candidate I can try out the head band version and ask a million questions so that I can decide if it's right for me. I just hope he doesn't change his mind - this is all very stressful!

Try it again—the link isn’t broken. If you still can’t get it, I’ll e-mail it to you.

Paying cash on the barrel head may very well get you a deep discount on the package. My wife got her CI for $37 thousand, including all the postoperative work and a years supply of batteries and a few other goodies, by paying cash up front. That’s at least $20 thousand less than the typical cost of a CI when they have to go through the insurance companies.

Your father needs to realize that this is the only option available to you other than a CROS HA. You are not eligible to get a CI. Research clearly indicates that the results that can be expected from a CROS blows chunks compared to a BAHA. Right now, this is as state-of-the-art as it gets.

Wow - that's a huge discount. I am going to talk to this insurance agent I know today. If it is out there he will find it. Everyone keeps saying it's pre-existing but that would mean that anyone out there with a correctable birth defect is SOL. I want to make sure I'm a candidate (the only possibility of not being one is poor bone conductivity) and that this is really what I want (to be determined in final by the headband test) before I even attempt insurance. Besides, I don't know about waiting periods or anything and the best time for me to do this is within the next 8 months since I will be moving and getting a new job - I will have difficulty getting time off. Besides, the closest facility to my new home will be 100 miles away! I'll let you know if I find anything out insurance-wise that might help you out. I really think it's a waste of my time but my father demands it and it IS his money. I feel guilty as it is for him doing this but he won't have it any other way so I must follow his rules.

Hi - I'm 25 and have been deaf in my left ear since birth. I am interested in the BAHA system and was wondering if anyone could help me out with some more info. Any help would be appreciated - thanks!
hello I am a mother of a 18 year old who was born without any ears my son 3 and 1/2 years ago got dual baha and they have been a blessing since the implant he no longer uses a interperter if about to graduate from mainstream classes with a 3.0 gpa will be attending rit in the fall I fully recommend the baha system from birth until the 9th grade he never heard the wind It has opened up new doors for him

hello I am a mother of a 18 year old who was born without any ears my son 3 and 1/2 years ago got dual baha and they have been a blessing since the implant he no longer uses a interperter if about to graduate from mainstream classes with a 3.0 gpa will be attending rit in the fall I fully recommend the baha system from birth until the 9th grade he never heard the wind It has opened up new doors for him

This thread was made by someone who made 12 posts 7 years ago.

I bet she won't notice your comment unless she is the world's most patient lurker..:lol:

welcome stick around

was your eldest using an interpreter full time?

is his loss combated?

im oral but am learning sign through immersion but like to listen to music talk on phoe through bone conduction headphones/headset

hello I am a mother of a 18 year old who was born without any ears my son 3 and 1/2 years ago got dual baha and they have been a blessing since the implant he no longer uses a interperter if about to graduate from mainstream classes with a 3.0 gpa will be attending ri
t
Oh that's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got the conductive loss too,(atresia no anotia, although Dr. Eavy told me that most of the time with my degree of atresia there's no outer ears) although don't wear BAHA.

Hi - I'm 25 and have been deaf in my left ear since birth. I am interested in the BAHA system and was wondering if anyone could help me out with some more info. Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

my son has the baha system has been wonderful his hearing has greatly improved more than happy to discuss with you . he is hearing sounds he couldn't hear before and we use to have to keep the tv up loud for him to hear now we keep it turn down

my son used a interperter from kindergarden until the baha implants full time now he only uses them for important things like ssi appointment. he has a conductive lost without them he is almost completly deaf this past friday he graduated 4th in his high school he went to mainstream school where his sisters attended. I looked for anwser for years as to why he was born this way and finally realize God gave me a perious gift for that I am forever gratful. my son will be attending RIT in the fall and pursing a degree in crimminal justice

his my baby his loss is conductive was born without ears uses sign and reads lips also but the baha was great for him. he tells me when tired of the worlds BS he turns it off

Angelina,

Good luck with the BAHA, I have no knowledge of BAHA but I can understand your problems with SSD. I was born with bilateral hearing loss but because of the policy of the British NHS, forty years ago, I was only provided with one HA as a child, and that was for my better ear. Neither my parents or teachers understood the difficulties of only being able to hear with one ear, my unaided ear being severely deaf. There was also no fm system available to me at school in those days which added to the problem. I attended a mainstream school and most of the time I hadn't got a clue what the teachers were saying!

In adulthood I was finally fitted with bilateral HAs and the difference was amazing. I had no idea how much I had been missing all those years. So if you get the chance to have a BAHA fitted to provide you with a form of bilateral hearing, then I say go for it!

Back