Hi I'm Natalie!

CreatedNat

Reaction score
Hi my name is Natalie, and I am almost 19, and I am Deaf. My parents found out I had severe hearing loss when I was almost 2, and I was fitted with hearing aids, started speech therapy, and also learned ASL. I attended mainstream school in a little town in Kansas, then when I was 16, we moved to colorado, where once again, I attended mainstream school. I have been able to navigate the hearing world fine for the most part, but while I was pregnant, my hearing levels dropped significantly. I gave birth to beautiful twin girls in November, one hearing, one deaf. I don't really feel like I have a community here, my daughter Allyson and I are the only deaf people around here, so I've been thinking about getting a CI, to help me navigate the hearing world again, and possibly getting one for my Ally too. Well, thats me in a nutshell... girls are crying, hope to get to know some people soon!

Thank you so much for the welcome! Girls are happily playing on the floor now. So let me see if I can tell you a little more about myself and my angels. I met my husband at my church shortly after we moved, and God told me right away that he was the one who I would spend the rest of my life with. Even though he is a bit older than me (he is 26 now) my parents and his both hear the same message from the Lord. We got married inbetween my jr and senior year of high school when I was 17. And we were so excited to find out we were expecting the girls. Men had told me before they would learn to communicate with me on my level, but never did. My husband on the other hand started learning right away! When the girls were born, a little over a month early, the girls told us our baby a (Amaya, Maya for short) passed her hearing test. But our little Ally didn't. I was hoping that after the girls were born my hearing would return to normal, but after 3 months, still no change (my audiologist didn't suspect that it would) and things have been really hard to understand since I was about 4 months pregnant with the girls. I'm going to find a clinic soon to talk about the bennefits and risks of a CI, for myself and my daughter. Anyone have any experiance with it? Its a little daunting if I migt admit it... but I know God will lead me on the right path for us.

yeah and there's alot of CI people popping up so God bless you! :)
anyways, welcome to Alldeaf

Safarigirl, thank you so much for the blessings! I hope God brings many blessings in your life! Especially this weekend, as he has risen!

As for the question posed to me, I live in castlerock, which is a bit south of denver. I know there are many resources out there, but I've had a hard time finding some that were unbiased. I have a wonderful idea as to how I want to raise both my princesses, and all princes and princesses to come. They will be multilingual, ASL as their first language, english and spanish as it develops (Davids family is originally from spain, and we have plans of traveling there quite often) but most of the places I have talked to... are very... unsupportive of our views. I haven't heard of the school in golden, although that is a bit too far away, as is csdb. Thanks for the links though.

yeah and there's alot of CI people popping up so God bless you! :)
anyways, welcome to Alldeaf
thank you so much for your blessings SafariGirl!! I hope god provides you with many blessings, especially in this week of his rising!

I live in Castle Rock, its a bit south of Denver. Unfortunately Golden and CSDB are too far away, as I want both my girls near me. My princesses, and all my future princes and princesses, I'm hoping will be fluent in at least 3 languages, ASL as each of their firsts (dhh or hearing), and english and spanish as well. My husband, David, his family is from Spain, and we are hoping to be able to visit often, though it will be difficult on his Teachers Salary, but we can make it work I'm sure of that. Thank you for the links.

you're very welcome Natalie :) and I'm always able to fight against the thresholds and hearing loss degree status lol

Back