Hi, I'm Lost!

lostandtryingmybest

Reaction score
haha You can call me that, anyways. :)
So... After a lot of struggling to keep up with people and the world in general, I went to an audiologist for the first time... and you know what they found?
.......Nothing!!! My hearing is supposedly in normal range!!! (Can't hear below 10 db and I have a little dip lower than that in my mid-highs, but right now it's not enough to be called a loss.)

The problem is, obviously I don't feel like I function as a "normal-range hearing person", or I wouldn't have gone and gotten tested, and I wouldn't be here right now typing a post up. I don't know what's going on with me, the audiologist just kind of said "Wellll there's nothing I can do," and I'm frustrated. So I came here because, I guess, I hope maybe I can find people who will understand a bit?

I misidentify sounds, fairly often. Like the sound of someone (especially myself) eating food could be footsteps, or an alarm could be just a particularly bad violin player. I rely on context a lot to figure out what sounds mean, but in situations with "similar" sounds that gets harder. I have trouble with placing sounds, too, as in I sometimes can't tell the difference between the heater turning on inside and the wind blowing outside, or whether a person talking is in the room to my right or my left.
And I don't understand the things people are saying, really often - any extra noise makes it next to impossible, but even in the best of conditions I still struggle. At my best, speech sounds like "Prisencolinensinainciusol" (a song made of English-sounding nonsense words) and I need to ask for repeats - at worst it just gets lost in "static" and I might not even know they're talking to begin with. That leads to people assuming I'm ignoring them, especially because sometimes I DO hear them... just NOT ALWAYS!

I end up spending a lot of time alone listening to videos and music through headphones because then at least I can control for things like volume and captions, or just click away if I'm struggling too much, and talking with text instead of things like voice or video calls. I get very tired and agitated trying to have conversations with people - 10 minutes and I'm already antsy, an hour and I feel dead! Even music gets stressful in the same way, I can't listen to music with lyrics for that long - instrumental or I will tear my hair out after a half hour.

So yeah, I don't know "what" I am, because my ears physically seem to hear and pick up sound just fine... I know the average hearing person probably struggles with these things every once in a while too, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near the extent I do, or else I would imagine people would be more patient and kind with me. There are a lot of times when I wish I could just shut my ears, the same way I can shut my eyes, and not have to hear anything for a little while.
I don't know where to look for answers at this point - I know no one here can give me those, I just figured if there's people who might understand, they would be here.

Thanks for reading, and I hope I'm not too disruptive :)

It sounds a lot like Audio processing disorder. Have you tried getting testing for that?

I hope this helps! Sounds frustrating ! Thank you for sharing, I know there are others that have this on here.

:) Annie

I haven't no, I don't know how I would. It was hard enough just to get this done, and now my family thinks I should just be happy to find I'm not deaf :( That obviously doesn't help any of the actual problems I'm dealing with, and it makes me almost wish I hadn't gone just to get what feels like a non-answer.

The audiologist didn't even seem all that concerned that I made mistakes or missed things entirely with every sentence, because I guess I got the "important" words like nouns and verbs right, and I did very good on the single word tests (minus a peculiar "dog-west"... I think it was really "north-west" but I swear it sounded like "dog"). But even looking back at the sentences I mixed up things like pronouns, articles, and similar sounding words - and that was WITH the soundproofed booth, and all my focus available for figuring out what I was hearing. If only real conversations could all be in soundproofed booths!! As soon as I came out of it and she started talking to me I was struggling even more...

I guess there's a part of me that worries, I'm the one making it up, exaggerating it and it's "really not that bad"... But I just can't really believe that when the only reason I don't run into way more trouble is because I turn to the digital realm TO avoid more trouble. As soon as I step away from it, there are troubles, and that's even when I'm just alone at home. I misidentify sounds, so I don't know if I would properly hear dangers. I don't always hear when people are talking, or understand even if I do hear, so I miss information.
I know being told my physical hearing is alright doesn't mean that there aren't problems somewhere, but it's so immensely frustrating to have that as my only answer and not having any real leads why, anyone who believes or understands.

Thank you for the kind thoughts :)

Back