Hi, I'm Katie :)

K0512199

Reaction score
So, my name is Katie and I'm 18 years old. I have Turner Syndrome. It caused me to have chronic ear disease. The drainage from that has destroyed the bones in my ears as well as my ear drums. I have had several surgeries on my ears including a BAHA implant on my left ear. I should be getting one for my right ear soon. I have 92% hearing loss in my left ear and 88% in my right ear. I have been raised in the hearing world. The only other deaf person I know is a friend of my mom. In the hearing world, I feel horribly left out and misunderstood. I can't talk on the phone anymore, and my best friend tries to make me feel guilty about it. She's like "I just want to hear your voice. I don't mind repeating myself." She doesn't understand what a headache it is for me to constantly strain to hear her. I am terrified in parking lots because I can't hear cars coming near me. I dread social situations such as ordering food (especially at a drive through) and talking to doctors. My mother has to speak for me, and it makes me feel like an invalid sometimes. I can never hear class discussions, so instead of participating in them, I stare the wall and get nothing out of it. Later I go back and teach myself the material and manage to make A's that way. The most annoying thing is when people try to whisper to me when they are well aware of my hearing loss. I joined this website to find people who get what it's like not to hear. So, that's my story. Feel free to tell me yours :)

hi and welcome! :) do not be afraid, with the prosthesis will resolve many of the problems caused by hearing loss ...

Welcome! We've all been there and done that.......Very common story......Are you interested in learning ASL, and or meeting other dhh kids? There are a lot of oppertunties out there .......camps, colleges, maybe even spending a semester or so at a deaf school..........

I've taken an ASL class a couple of years ago. I plan to take another one this summer, and I have an ASL book that I practice with. When I get good enough, I want to volunteer at the deaf and blind school near me so I can be more exposed to the dwaf community :)

You could made a recording of yourself talking and give it to your friend and tell her to play whenever she want to hear your voice. Anyway :wave:
Hi ,I am hoh and hate taking on the phone to people I do not know.

I've taken an ASL class a couple of years ago. I plan to take another one this summer, and I have an ASL book that I practice with. When I get good enough, I want to volunteer at the deaf and blind school near me so I can be more exposed to the dwaf community :)

Are you 18 til the summer? You COULD attend Gally Univeristy's ASL immersion program! http://www.gallaudet.edu/summer_programs/youth_programs.html
So you live near a D&B school, but never got to take advantage of it or meet other dhh kids through it? That's really sad!

Are you 18 til the summer? You COULD attend Gally Univeristy's ASL immersion program! http://www.gallaudet.edu/summer_programs/youth_programs.html
So you live near a D&B school, but never got to take advantage of it or meet other dhh kids through it? That's really sad!
I'll definitely look into the Gally immersion program, thanks! And yeah, I was totally raised in the hearing world. I guess my parents just never thought it was necessary to expose me to the deaf community.

Back