Hi, I'm from North Orange County in California

Kiranadia

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!! :wave: My name is Natalie, you can refer to me by that or by my User name: Kiranadia (it means bright hope)

I am a 20 year old hearing girl in southern california, I only partially know the struggles of some deaf individuals because my grandmother is deaf. She is a late-deafened-adult and became as such during the time when Oralism was most popular. They refused to teach her ASL because she was not born deaf they forced her to lipread.

Ever since I was ten years old I wanted to learn ASL to teach it to her... unfortunately she also has macular degeneration so she is slowly going blind. Now that I have the opportunity to learn and to teach her, it makes me very sad that she can't understand me. She has to be about 6 inches away from my lips for her to comprehend even 1/4 of what is being said...

All that said, it is currently my desire to become a sign language interpreter and perhaps even a teacher for young deaf children, and late deafened adults like my grandmother. I know many believe that a hearing person will never be able to teach sign language well enough, but I believe if I surround myself with the right people and try with all that God has given me I can do all that I need to do.

So, if anyone is willing to help me, or knows anywhere that an ASL 1 student can practice and learn with native speakers I would absolutely love the opportunity.

Sorry for the essay!!! thanks for reading (as much as you may have read)

:wave:

thanks

thanks simown! by the way i like your image of Gambit down at the bottom there!

:welcome: to AD! I can relate to what your grandmother went thru with being forced to lipread.

Back