Hi I'm David R. Bryan I'm new here and new to the Deaf world.

dragonsign

Reaction score
I'm have just started having a hard time hearing after Basis Training in the US Army so i have to try harder to hear people and understand what they say. So I'm learning ASL because i think it will get worse. I'm new to ASL and Deaf Culture, but I am learn the language faster than i thought would, since i have a great photographic memory. But i dont just want to learn from books and internet..I want to meet people around Pickens, South Carolina, USA. I think i will be going to college to learn ASL since I get college money from the Army Reserve. I also want to go to a Church for the Deaf. I do belive God has been giveing me hints for years about learning ASL. it is a beautiful language. hope i doing the best not to insult anyone.hope to hear from someone. please.

no i was not born deaf. I just started losing it. during the guns and bombs going of in the basid training. I forgot to put my earplug in when i gun went off. long time of ringing in my ears. learned my lesson the first time. I had a hearing test...I can hear noise..but I cannot understand clearly all the time..sometimes I have to try hard. thats what the ear docotr said. he has the same problem..but he is in he 50's.

i havent told them.(the us army).I need a future..I do want to see the world..go to japan..I'm learning japanese too on the side..but no were to use it..not even with my parents...

btw. (by the way) how do you ask a person if there deaf, or can they read lips, or if the know ASL without being rude. because i dont want to assume anything.

no i was not born deaf. I just started losing it. during the guns and bombs going of in the basid training. I forgot to put my earplug in when i gun went off. long time of ringing in my ears. learned my lesson the first time. I had a hearing test...I can hear noise..but I cannot understand clearly all the time..sometimes I have to try hard. thats what the ear docotr said. he has the same problem..but he is in he 50's.

I hear ya!! I experience something very similar with my mild Meniere's Disease. I pass every hearing test for plain noise but when I'm in a conversation I find myself sometimes trying to figure out what people said. I feel kinda weird sometimes asking them to repeat themselves. Other times I just don't ask and pretend like I understood every word(that can be interesting sometimes :) lol).

I'm on Facebook Candice RoeAnn Smith | Facebook
and my email is NicktasticDJNCandi10@facebook.com

I hope to hear from you soon.
Btw :welcome: to AllDeaf :wave:

I read an article about an old man losing his hearing. He said that when your hearing is starting to go, comprehension is the first thing to go. That makes sense to me as I can hear alot of things with my hearing aids but had a hard time making out words without lipreading.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Now that you learn your lesson for not using the earplugs so that you would not lose your hearing. You have to learn to live with your hearing loss. You are late deafened or hard of hearing. There are quite a lot of late deafened here on AD. So feel free to browse around the forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I also should of not been so close to the front of the stage at that Christain rock concert..

I also should of not been so close to the front of the stage at that Christain rock concert..

When we lived in El Paso, we had a friend who was a tank mechanic. He was deaf because he was standing on a tank when something blew up.

He couldn't be in the Army anymore, but he was disabled and had the same job with civilian status.

When we lived in El Paso, we had a friend who was a tank mechanic. He was deaf because he was standing on a tank when something blew up.

He couldn't be in the Army anymore, but he was disabled and had the same job with civilian status.

ouch.

well sometimes thats all it take is one time to learn your lesson. mistakes happen. as the saying goes "where human"..but what really matters is that you learn from them. dont use the where human as a excuse or walking stick.

Back