Hi, I'm Dave.

DaveM

Reaction score
I just registered, but I've been browsing through this forum for a while.

I just turned 36 this month. I'm hearing, and currently enrolled in an ASL class for no other reason than I just felt like it.

I learned to finger spell at the age of 13 because I had a neighbor who was deaf. She was awesome and taught me basic signs, the first being the curse words because, hey, I was young after all. So I was at an advantage at the beginning of classes.

I am glad to read that although I see the term "deaf community" used, that many of you here are absolute individuals with a VERY diverse set of opinions.

It's very refreshing and I wish the rest of my class would focus a little more on the individualism aspect.

I hope I can use this board to ask questions that I can not ask my ASL teacher due to my minimal communication skills, or questions that I may feel uncomfortable asking in person.

As a side note: I played in a very loud band for a number of years and have developed tinnitus as a result because I didn't protect my ears. As years go by it seems like it gets worse, so maybe ASL will be more useful than I imagined.

I also have epilepsy. Anybody else have seizures here?

Thanks,
Dave.

Thank you Sunshine and dotcomkari. :wave:

I like your quote, dotcomkari:

"there is no normal, just different."

Is that yours?

Thank you, rockin'robin!

I see you're from Florida. When I played in a band, we played Florida a few times and I loved it.

I eventually moved there for a couple of years. I moved to Central Florida at a point in my life- Winter Haven. It was great, but I missed the seasons!

I missed the snow most of all.

Nice to meet you.

:welcome: Dave!

I am hearing also, though I don't have hearing loss. I'm sure that the community will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

My brother's name is Dave, also. (Well, it's actually David but he goes by Dave as well.)

Thanks for your reply freshfighter14. I've been reading the forums before I signed up. I feel confident that if I have questions that already haven't been asked here that I'll get good feedback.

Are you fluent in ASL?

Thanks for your reply freshfighter14. I've been reading the forums before I signed up. I feel confident that if I have questions that already haven't been asked here that I'll get good feedback.

Are you fluent in ASL?

Hmm... fluent no. I unfortunately cannot sign very fast either. Though I try to when I can.

Hi everyone, I'm Bill

Have been enjoying some good information on here so I thought I'd say Hi.

I am HOH ... Severe-Profound Left, Moderate - Severe Right. I wear a Phonak in my Right only.

Although I have been slowly losing my hearing in my Left ear over the past 10 yrs, a recent deterioration in both has occured over the past 12 months. So the issues involved with having really functional loss that has begun to affect all aspects of life is fairly new to me. I have begun learning speech reading and both my wife and I are about to start learning ASL.

I may consider a CI eval after the first of the year... but am still thinking about it. Probably still greiving a bit as aspects of my loss continue to affect parts of my life and functionality. Definitely NOT accustomed yet to feeling dependant on my wife ( of one year) to tell me what people are saying when we are out in crowds, resteraunts etc.

Anyway ... good to see so much info on here.

Hi DaddyBill, nice to meet you.

I agree that there's a lot of good info here. I'm glad I signed up.

Hello Dave, I too am new on here..I was born with Epilepsy so to answer your question on if anyone here also has seizures.

Hey BreBre1987, nice to meet you.

I developed epilepsy a little later in life, it's manageable for me for the most part with proper meds. Although I do have a couple of episodes a year.

Glad you're on the board.

Hello Dave!!!

Nice to meet you too.

I am HOH but no epilepsy yet for me. Instead, fate gave me diabetes. I have constant tinnitus but it is not bothering me. It used to be worse as a child, but progressively it faded. Today, I abstain from any kind of activity that raises my stress above a certain level, and that bar is set quite low on purpose for reasons of pleasure. I like it that way.

I have 50% hearing in one ear and do not wear hearing aid or cochlear implant.

Hi HH Scientist!

Tinnitus has been something of an issue with me for about 5 or so years. I used to have a non stop ringing, including during the day. Now it's pretty much just at night, and at nighttime it seems worse as years go by if that makes any sense.

Because of epilepsy, lack of sleep is a big trigger for me and I've always been an insomniac in the first place! Oh well...

Nice to meet you, see you around the board!

Making an official welcome in here. Just watch where you step. Or if you wear boots, step on it anyways.

Hi HH Scientist!

Tinnitus has been something of an issue with me for about 5 or so years. I used to have a non stop ringing, including during the day. Now it's pretty much just at night, and at nighttime it seems worse as years go by if that makes any sense.

Because of epilepsy, lack of sleep is a big trigger for me and I've always been an insomniac in the first place! Oh well...

Nice to meet you, see you around the board!

Wow. A soil scientist buddy of mine has that similar condition, not getting enough sleep tend to trigger his epilepsy, too. Take care of yourself.

Back