Hi, I'm a new!

Melissa91

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Melissa! I'm hearing but have some Deaf and some interpreting friends. I really want to work on my sign language.

I would actually love to go to interpreting school, but right now I'm in school to be a Pharmacist instead. Maybe in the Summers? Maybe after I graduate? We'll see! In the meantime, I try to go to deaf social events and learn a sign a day.

I joined to try to get a better perspective on Deaf culture and to hopefully make some friends!

Hi Melissa, welcome to AD. i saw your other post and winced. Seeing that you are clearly new to the Deaf world, I am going to give you a heads up: there is an unspoken rule you do not criticize deaf people's grammar on this site.

Hope you have fun here and do browse the threads, you will learn a lot.

Sounds interesting, pharmacist school. You must be on your feet a lot?

Do you know of deaf social events in your area already? Since you said you had Deaf and 'terp friends. That would be cool. Good enviroment to learn.

I'm not deaf, but if you ever want to practice or just chat hit me up ;)

It's not that hard to learn ASL on side without taking class. You would be surprised at what you can learn interacting with ASL users. You would be able to save a lot without having to take ASL 1 or ASL 2 depending on your local college or Deaf organization rules regarding ASL classes.

I saw your profile "about me" section--please don't leave just yet! This place can be pretty blunt (the deaf are blunt people lol) it's just something you have to get used to. I've butted heads a few times, too, but it's just something you learn to brush off. You were new and made a foux pas. Everyone's done it!

Please give it another chance? :) I'd love to chat with you sometime.

Back