Hi!! I am CarrieMay2076. I am half deaf.

CarrieMay2076

Reaction score
My name is CarrieMay 2076. I was born with hearing in my left ear. I am currently a college student majoring in elementary education and taking ASL as my language requirement. I feel at home using ASL at home little by little. I find it hard because the rest of my family hear just fine. I love using closed captioning because we live an apartment complex. Closed Captioning annoys both my daughters because it covers up the picture.
Back to the hearing loss, it is fully nerve deafness. (hearing aids won't help). However, I haven't gotten an opinion recently regarding cochliar implants. Any ideas?

Hi Welcome to AD :)

Sorry I don't know much about cochlear implants and i'm not interesting in it. Someone may help u here :)

The way I look at it, it may be an option. If not I will deal with it.

It is annoying because it affects just one ear. I only hear (pretty much half) of a conversation. I want it all or nothing at all. I don't like this middle ground. I understand in Deaf Culture, that implants are bad because they impede on the Culture itself. (I respect this) Last time I was at the doctor, they told me, most likely I would loose the rest of my hearing by the time I am a late adult.

Hello and :welcome: to alldeaf from Ireland!! :cheers:
I don't know much about CI. If you can go to Medical post and i am sure someone here knows much more about CI than me. I wear hearing aids. Sorry!! :)

:wave: :welcome: to Alldeaf CarrieMay2076!!! I hope you are having fun meeting new and wonderful people on AD. Have fun posting, and welcome aboard!!! :)

Welcome you stay AD and let's breath away!

Enjoy!

you can keep contuine research ci as pro vs con...
as long you feel comfortable before go forth.
Good Luck..

I don't use ci..
I'm very happy way who am I idendifty "Deaf"

Before we get to your questions, we need a little bit more information. Are we to understand that you are profoundly deaf on one side of your head with zero residual hearing, and have normal hearing on the other side?

I have no hearing in my right ear and can hear out of my left ear. I am slowly losing hearing out of my left ear. Why is it so important to know how much hearing I have? (I'm sorry I am just trying to understand) Yes, I have grown up in the hearing community and am scared of totally loosing my hearing. However, I really wish it would hurry up and go. I have a hard time understanding people and it is very frustrating. I am taking ASL in college, as an additional way to communicate. Then we get into, my family (husband and daughters) don't know how to sign, etc. This just seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Oh well, I hope this answers your question. Thanks!

CarrieMay2076 said:
Why is it so important to know how much hearing I have?

The amount of residual hearing you have is of critical importance. You may not legally be eligible to receive a CI, even if you wanted one and had the financial resources to obtain it. The FDA has very firm guidelines on this. If you have completely normal hearing on one side of your head (as I do), then a BAHA device would be your best available option. They’re a hell of a lot cheaper than CI’s, too. I'll get back to you tomorrow morning on this.

Levonian said:
I'll get back to you tomorrow morning on this.

Better late than never. Since you were born with SSD and are progressively losing hearing on the other side, you will probably eventually be eligible for implantation. You are probably not eligible right now—talk to your audi about this. As for the ethical considerations, that’s your call. Anti-CI militants are a vanishing breed. This board has several thousand members now, and there are only two or three hardcore militants in the whole bunch. You won’t be viewed as a pariah by the vast majority of the Deaf community if you get a CI, if that’s what you’re concerned about.

Thanks!! I don't know if it was a fear of rejection or what. Maybe I don't fully understand the underlying issues or points of Deaf Culture. I would love someday to know and understand them, that way I can understand where the other members of the Deaf Community are coming from.

Hi CarrieMay! Lev is our resdient expert on SSD! So you're in great hands! We also have many other hoh members! Hoh folks are TOTALLY welcomed here! (I'm hoh myself actually)

welcomered.gif

yo

DONT DO IT!
no offense or anything but cohlear implants will help you hear but your voice will become squeaky like a mouse and people will think you havent matured or something.

Back